PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a digital camera for theatre

Odon
09-02-2004, 09:26 PM
Iím considering changing from film to digital. I do a lot of photography for my amateur theatre company, and so need a long lens and low light capability. Iím currently using an Olympus OM-1, with 35-200mm lens and 800 ASA film. The problem is I canít afford the digital SLRís that are currently on the market. Can anyone here recommend a camera thatís not an SLR, yet takes good photos under low light conditions? (Iíd need at least 4MP).

daven123
09-13-2004, 09:40 AM
I am also looking for an affordable digital camera that can take adequate theatre shots. On another site the Sony S85 was praised for low light capabilities, but on this site it got only a so-so review for low light. It's an older camera (2001). From what I've been told, the quest for higher resolution and smaller size has killed the low light capabilities, because the CCD sensor is so much smaller per pixel than before.

Any recommendations from anybody would be greatly appreciated - thanks!!!

Jayde
09-13-2004, 09:59 AM
HI
hows this :)
For hand-held dim light photography and telephoto shots, both of which are susceptible to the effects of camera shake because of their slow shutter speeds, photographers can now get steady, blur-free images without the use of a flash or tripod.

The Konica Minolta Z3 movie recording function allows users to take high-resolution movies that are as beautiful as TV programs or footage taken with a video camera.

http://www.steves-digicams.com/pr/minolta_07072004_z3_pr.html

Hey buy me one between you two looks damn good :) haha

Jayde
09-13-2004, 10:18 AM
also
maybe you should both consider a proper camcorder they have much lower light capable n zoom etc.. Z3 is a hybrid afterall...
im sure sombody will advise you what models or listed here with pro reviews

http://www.pricerunner.co.uk/sound-and-vision/vision/camcorders/browse?sort=7

Rhys
09-13-2004, 10:21 AM
HI
hows this :)
For hand-held dim light photography and telephoto shots, both of which are susceptible to the effects of camera shake because of their slow shutter speeds, photographers can now get steady, blur-free images without the use of a flash or tripod.

The Konica Minolta Z3 movie recording function allows users to take high-resolution movies that are as beautiful as TV programs or footage taken with a video camera.

http://www.steves-digicams.com/pr/minolta_07072004_z3_pr.html

Hey buy me one between you two looks damn good :) haha

The Panasonic FZ10 has a fast aperture of f2.8 that remains 2.8 all through the 12x zoom range. It has an image stabiliser too so camera shake is minimised.

As far as video recording goes... don't hold your breath. The Canon S1 uses 2mb/sec for video. I imagine all the others do too. That means a 512mb SD card would last about 250 seconds or just about 4 minutes. Considering that a 512mb card would cost the same as a cheap camcorder, it doesn't make an awful lot of sense to buy a digital camera to use as a camcorder.

Jayde
09-13-2004, 11:06 AM
hey Rhys
they didnt ask to record the whole show and you need to read the Z3 review

"The XR (Extended Recording) Movie function lets users record longer movie clips onto the cameraís SD memory card. With Night Movie, the DiMAGE Z3 can record in extreme low-light conditions thanks to a CCD thatís four times more sensitive than conventional sensors."
wonder how long it will rec.. tho ?
great 420mm zoom too
they are hybrids so it does make some sense depending on what you req...

i never mentioned FZ20 (not so good in low light) and i added, Re consider a camcorder also..
so what model do you sugg.. m8 !

Rhys
09-13-2004, 12:08 PM
Re consider a camcorder also..
so what model do you sugg.. m8 !

I haven't a clue. It depends wher eyou are. TV in most countries is different. In Europe we mostly use PAL. In the USA it's NTSC. There are several different PAL standards as there probably are of NTSC. The Japanese, I gather, use VHF TV. Hence, of course, camcorders are built to different standards and are thus given different model numbers.

John_Reed
09-13-2004, 12:21 PM
Iím considering changing from film to digital. I do a lot of photography for my amateur theatre company, and so need a long lens and low light capability. Iím currently using an Olympus OM-1, with 35-200mm lens and 800 ASA film. The problem is I canít afford the digital SLRís that are currently on the market. Can anyone here recommend a camera thatís not an SLR, yet takes good photos under low light conditions? (Iíd need at least 4MP).Let me suggest that you look at the Panasonic FZ10, 15, or 20 cameras. You say "low light," but I've found that theatre shots generally support shutter speeds that are in the ~1/25 range, which is a very comfortable speed for cameras with image stabilizers, like the Panasonics. Here's an example of a theatre shot I took (with my old FZ1 at 1/30, f2.8, ~5X zoom) from about 30 rows back:
http://newton-i.usefilm.com/7/1/1/711/182224-large.jpg