PDA

View Full Version : Casio camera repairs lens error

misterMe
05-15-2005, 02:28 AM
I've been repairing CASIO Digital Cameras for 15 years. Lately, I've seen lots of CASIO users with lens problems. It took me a little while to figure out what was causing the problems, but I've got the answers.

Problem: Lens error.
Symptom: Lens will not extend upon power up.
Cause: Lens is impeded while trying to extend.
This is usually caused by one of two circumstances. (1) The user dropped the camera while the lens was extended causing a mechanical failure. (2) The lens attempts to extend while in a pouch or pocket without the user's knowledge. This usually happens when the user is carrying the camera with the battery in. When/if the REC button or power button is pressed accidentally, the lens will attempt to extend but can't. This causes the main drive gears to be damaged.

Solution: Replace the main drive gear assembly. This should only be done by a qualified tech.
If you've experienced this you know exactly what I mean. This should clear up any notion that the "Lens Gods" have cursed you. Although this may have appeared to be a mystery, it's always caused by something!

Problem: Lens error.
Symptom: Lens extends, makes a few buzzing noises and retracts, resulting in "lens error" message.
Cause: This is caused by damage to the focus lens often by impact, or sand in the mechanism.
Solution:The focus lens gears either need to be replaced or the assembly completely rebuilt. Again, this should be done by a qualified tech. It's a very delicate process.

Problem: Aperture unit failure
Symptom: Images appear to be washed out, over exposed and often have horizontal lines through them.
Cause:The aperture unit is either stuck, damaged or not receiving the proper electrical signal to activate. The result is that the aperture remains open after the picture is taken and CCD is over exposed.
Solution:Completely rebuild the aperture unit, which requires complete lens dis-assembly and rebuild. Again, this should be done by a qualified tech. It's a VERY delicate process.

Hope this helps.

THX (http://casiorepairs.com)

kgemelli
05-16-2005, 10:28 AM
I experienced this error of the lens not extending upon power up. Having no Idea of what the problem was, I contactd casiorepairs.com. Tim asked me to send him the camera and within two weeks or so and less than $100.00 he had it repaired and sent back to me. Tim knows what he is talking about and was very helpful.

frlvne
12-01-2005, 02:22 PM
http://www.zlk.com/casiolenserror.html

t00nz
06-29-2009, 06:39 PM
I know this is an old post, but I had to respond as the following info may help other people who encounter the infamous lens error problem. First I want to make it clear that lens errors do not just occur with Casio cameras, but are applicable to ALL digital cameras with telescoping lens barrels.

As mentioned, lens errors are fairly common. Usually it's sand or grit interfering with the lens extension mechanism. Or the camera's been dropped with the lens extended. Or the camera has been powered on, but the lens had been blocked preventing its extension. Or the battery ran down with the lens extended ...

But there are some very simple things that you can do to try to correct a lens error. None of these things involve opening up the camera. They only seem to work for less than 50% of the lens errors, but if the camera is out of warranty, they're worth a try:

http://camerarepair.blogspot.com/2007/12/fixing-lens-error-on-digital-camera.html

David Metsky
06-29-2009, 07:41 PM
I know this is an old post, but I had to respond as the following info may help other people who encounter the infamous lens error problem.
You've been posting this same thing for the past 18 months. It seems a bit self-serving to post a link to your ad-driven blog on random old threads. New threads I could understand, especially if you're contributing to the forum in other ways, but going back to a four year old thread is overkill, IMO.

t00nz
06-30-2009, 06:53 AM
People do come to this link via search engines. The link does provide helpful relevant info, and is more lengthy than can be posted here.

Beowulff
06-30-2009, 07:34 AM
You've been posting this same thing for the past 18 months. It seems a bit self-serving to post a link to your ad-driven blog on random old threads. New threads I could understand, especially if you're contributing to the forum in other ways, but going back to a four year old thread is overkill, IMO.

Totally agree David.

I don't really think the intent of this forum is to provide repeated links to one's own blog, and which also carry ads that may conflict with Jeff's advertisers' products!

Digging up all these long-buried threads smells a bit spammy to me too.

;)

Clissart
06-06-2012, 09:48 PM
Totally agree David.

I don't really think the intent of this forum is to provide repeated links to one's own blog, and which also carry ads that may conflict with Jeff's advertisers' products!

Digging up all these long-buried threads smells a bit spammy to me too.

;)

I was led to this thread by clicking on a link on the first page of my google search.

This year is 2012 & still this thread is viable. Not only viable but informative. I actually clicked on the link provided by t00nz & found the blog post most informative.

I have an older Casio which I am lost without. I dropped it & have the lens partly extended & now obviously broken inside. I am having to decide whether to get it repaired (if it can be) or go through the huge challenge of buying a new camera to suit my particular circumstances.

While researching my options I have been checking everything I can find online which is how I found this forum.

So even though this is my first post can I say I think you should update this thread because google brings it up on the first page of the search.

Now I'm off to read a lot more of this forum.

thanks for making it available to people. :)

photo newbie
08-02-2012, 01:21 PM
Question: if it cost under $100 - how much under? Only paid $100 for camera to begin with...