PDA

View Full Version : What happened to Konica-Minolta?

AllanMarcus
05-14-2005, 10:00 AM
I'm still ruminating on which camera to get. I noticed the Maxxum 7D is down to $1100 (butterfly photo). At $1500 it was way too expensive. At $1100 it's worth considering. Of course I'm attracted to its stabilized CCD, but I'm not happy with its weight.

I've read a little that Konica might come out with a smaller, lighter 5D. Seems to me that Konica has to if they want to compete in this market. Anyone else heard anything?

-Allan

Rhys
05-14-2005, 10:11 AM
I'm still ruminating on which camera to get. I noticed the Maxxum 7D is down to $1100 (butterfly photo). At $1500 it was way too expensive. At $1100 it's worth considering. Of course I'm attracted to its stabilized CCD, but I'm not happy with its weight.

I've read a little that Konica might come out with a smaller, lighter 5D. Seems to me that Konica has to if they want to compete in this market. Anyone else heard anything?

-Allan

I think I heard that Konica was going out of digital but I could be wrong.

Imaginary
05-14-2005, 07:13 PM
Wow, I would be interested if anyone has heard this. I am seriously starting to consider the 7D as my next camera purchase, I would hate to see them give up on Digital. Especially since that would be business suicide given the direction photography is heading. Minolta has always been a leader in innovation I would hate to see them go backward

AllanMarcus
05-14-2005, 08:58 PM
I think you are thinking of Kyocera, no konica.

http://db.riskwaters.com/public/showPage.html?page=210204

Rex914
05-14-2005, 11:57 PM
The 7D's an amazing camera because of that built in IS. However, I do urge you to take a look at it in store if you haven't. It's quite hefty even for a DSLR and it tromps on every DSLR to date in the amount of exterior controls. It's quite the camera you have to learn to use because the controls are quite complicated. Just a heads up here.

AllanMarcus
05-15-2005, 10:07 PM
Thanks rex. I looks at pictures and reviews of the camera and it sure does have a lot of buttons, switches, dials, and levers! I live in the middle of nowhere, so I can never go try these cameras out :-( I think you can access almost any control from a switch. Pretty much the opposite direction that Canon has taken with their button just activates the menu system approach.

I'm hoping that KM announces a 5D soon. I'm hoping for a smaller camera (~600g) with maybe a few less direct controls (but still some), integrated IS like that on the 7D, maybe 8MP, and a price of $899 body only. That would give Canon a kick in the behind!

I hate waiting, but I just can't imaging KM not releasing a new dSLR this year, and sooner rather than later.