PDA

View Full Version : Lithium Batteries

Steve Cifra
05-13-2005, 05:48 PM
Why do camera manufacturers say no to use them? I have an old Oly 340 that loves those batteries. I can go a couple hundred pics with a set. Last much longer than any rechargable I have tried.

Steve

05-14-2005, 02:03 PM
Well, I don't know where you've read that you shouldn't use Litium batteries in your camera. I personally think they are great backup since they last longer than alkaline batteries and supports better lower temperatures. But for many reasons I use NiMH batteries. First of all, I think that 400 shots on 1 charge is excellent and I am unsure if Lithium batteries would do any better; actually it would surprise me since I managed to get 40 shots out of alkaline batteries. The other reason to use NiMH batteries is because you are able to get MANY more shots out of a single set of batteries, even if that means 200 or 500 charges, its MUCH better to go that way than to waste between 400 and 800 batteries for the equivalent of 200 charges. Besides its much more friendly for your wallet in a long term perspective(actually also in medium term).

Steve Cifra
05-14-2005, 06:38 PM
Most owners manuals recommend against using lithiums. I wasn't sure if there was a big heat build-up, or because of the way they run full tilt then die, making it more difficult for the camera to judge battery life. I get the lithiums from work, so price doesn't mean much :) .

Steve

05-15-2005, 08:07 AM
While I may be crazy, no where in my A95 user guide do I see any mentions of Lithium batteries. The only mention I could probably guess is when they say that you shouldn't use equipement which was not suggested by the manual. Besides from that, no mention to use or not. I would probably use them if I needed to.

One thing is sure tho, what I said about the environnement still stays, I think it would be a MUCH better deal to use NiMH batteries as your main power source.