PDA

View Full Version : 20 D color balance

ghilak
05-13-2005, 05:45 PM
I am having trouble with the color balance with low light. I am using a Canon 20 D. I have played both with the WWhite Balance and the ISO, it seemsto be getting worse! Any ideas?

TheObiJuan
05-13-2005, 10:52 PM
take a white card or sheet of paper, manual focus on it, then shoot it.
Go to menu, then custom WB, then hit set, in the middle of the jog dial. Then it should say "set WB to Custom WB." This means that you need to now go to the top lcd panel and hit the "AF WB" button. Then select the black rectangle with two triangles under it. This will use the image you captured of the white card as white, and adjust from there.

I hope this helps. Report back if you need more help. ;)

Mr. Peabody
05-14-2005, 08:13 PM
take a white card or sheet of paper, manual focus on it, then shoot it.
Go to menu, then custom WB, then hit set, in the middle of the jog dial. Then it should say "set WB to Custom WB." This means that you need to now go to the top lcd panel and hit the "AF WB" button. Then select the black rectangle with two triangles under it. This will use the image you captured of the white card as white, and adjust from there.

I hope this helps. Report back if you need more help. ;)

I read somewhere that you can use a 15% Gray card too. Supposedly it is better than using a white card for some reason or another. Is that true?

Also, in general, do most cameras not come calibrated correctly as far as white balance goes?

When you do what you described above, does it matter what kind of "light" setting that you do it in?

TheObiJuan
05-15-2005, 03:51 AM
well it is very difficult for camera manufacturers to adjust for tungsten lighting, as there are different colors/temp of tungsten, same for other types. Then there is shaded forrests, where I shoot a lot, where the color balance will be different than any mode available. Canon has done a good job with their AWB but it is not perfect.
I use a white card, because I have one lying around, but an 18% grey in some situations would yield better results, since it is smack dab in the middle bw black and white and you want to balance the midtones.

Since I prefer RAW anyways it really doesn't matter. I shoot JPEG when I, 1. forget to put it in raw mode, 2. don't have space, 3. don't have time to postprocess.

whibal.com has a nifty accessory that has four cards, a white, black, 18% grey, and darker grey, and is about as big as a credit card. some ballheads also have a 18% grey spot on one of their nobs so you can shoot it instead of carrying a card around.

Bluedog
05-15-2005, 06:40 AM
Since I prefer RAW anyways it really doesn't matter.

That's become my motto of lately. Not having the cameras White Balance properly set is usually my biggest mistake ... :o

ghilak
05-15-2005, 08:04 PM
Thank you for your help. I will try to set the WB, I understand i have to do this for every new location. Is there a way I could save a specific location I shoot at often??

TheObiJuan
05-15-2005, 08:21 PM
assuming the lighting will be the same then yes, just save the image shot there previously and use it as CWB.

jprax
03-11-2006, 06:21 PM
I am having a problem with color of photos. I am taking actiuon pictures low light in a gym. When I take multiple exposures often the first image is a cold blue and then the next is warm pink. This seems to alternate among pictures. The subjects are in the same spot. I am using manual exposure and have know seen the problem with both my 20D's. I will try the custom white balance (I had forgotten the icon, thanks) but was wondering if anyone else has seen this.
Thanks for any input
Joe Prax