PDA

View Full Version : Canon A95 of S410/500

Mehnaz
09-02-2004, 09:18 AM
Hi People

I'm soooo confused. I have to buy a digi cam within the next few weeks and am looking into getting a Canon. I just cannot decide which one I want.

I really like the Canon A95, but the design is putting me off. I like the design of the S410/S500 better. However, I have to also look at which produces better pictures.

I want something that has a good flash, good zoom and excellent picture quality. I am not sure about the 5.0 mp's. Will the pictures end up massive on screen? Will I be able to print 4x6 size photographs?

The S410/S500 seem to have mixed reviews.

I'm very confused. Help me out. :)

Tony1
09-02-2004, 09:34 AM
I actually just purchased an A80 which is on sale for 199.00 at Office Depot but I am having mixed feelings about it. I keep thinking that I want something a little smaller. It is a little heavy and bulky and to be honest the picture quality is better than the Nikon 3200 I returned but I wonder how much better at the expense of just putting it in my pocket and taking it everywhere. I'm not to happy with the lcd either. I am considering the S410. My only complaint on that camera is the proprietary battery and no battery guage. The price on the A80 is making my decision even harder to make as of late.

LoveOfSelene
09-02-2004, 10:46 AM
Hi People

I'm soooo confused. I have to buy a digi cam within the next few weeks and am looking into getting a Canon. I just cannot decide which one I want.

I really like the Canon A95, but the design is putting me off. I like the design of the S410/S500 better. However, I have to also look at which produces better pictures.

I want something that has a good flash, good zoom and excellent picture quality. I am not sure about the 5.0 mp's. Will the pictures end up massive on screen? Will I be able to print 4x6 size photographs?

The S410/S500 seem to have mixed reviews.

I'm very confused. Help me out. :)

ummm in this case i would pick something from canon in the A series.
B/c all the S series uses Li-ion cells which can cost around 50$. And from testing the S410 and 500 myself...they both have ALOT of redeye...and the 500 has a bit a problem w/ noise

if u can find a S400. i would sugest getting that rather the S410

~LoveofSelene

scottyja
09-02-2004, 03:07 PM

I love the feel of the A80. I had it for a bit before returning it (defective LCD), but while I had it I loved it (waiting on my A95 now)! Yes, it is a little big, but that's sometimes a benefit! If you're tall (> 6'0) or have big hands like some of us, the smaller cameras are just about impossible to operate comfortably or quickly. Also, I may be one of the only ones, but I liked that the camera has some weight to it (not much)... it just feels more sturdy and easy to use.

This was one of the main deciding factors for my purchase. I never plan on just slipping my camera in my pocket anyway (too clumsy!), so I went purely by how it felt when actually taking a picture. You may want to take a trip to your local photo shop and just find which feels best in your hands... it has helped me immensely in deciding which camera I really like best.

Good luck!

Tony1
09-03-2004, 02:09 PM
Yeah I may just hang on to my A80. I may just need to get another smaller camera down the road. I like to have a camera that fits nicely in my wife's purse so when we go out with friends we can take pictures then too. I actually paid 299.00 for it a this week but it is on sale now for 199.00. I am going to go back to the Office Depot and see if they will honor the 199.00 since I still have over a week to return it anyway. If not then I am seriously considering the S410 or maybe even the Sony W1.

showell
09-03-2004, 05:47 PM
ummm in this case i would pick something from canon in the A series.
B/c all the S series uses Li-ion cells which can cost around 50$. And from testing the S410 and 500 myself...they both have ALOT of redeye...and the 500 has a bit a problem w/ noise

if u can find a S400. i would sugest getting that rather the S410

~LoveofSelene

I have been purchasing generic batteries for my digital elph cameras and using them for over three years with out a single problem. You can get them for $3.99 each at www.homenext.com. They work great and last longer than my OEM Canon batteries.

Mehnaz
09-07-2004, 07:08 AM
Hi Everybody

Thanks for your responses.

I just read the review on this site for the A95 and it isn't exactly that much better than the S410. Gosh, this is so confusing. It seems to generate a lot of noise and red eye which is very disappointing. I think I will get the A95 merely for the LCD at this point.