PDA

View Full Version : What is going on in here?

Cold Snail
05-13-2005, 08:01 AM
I am referring to the moiré thread.
It started off in classic troll style by a One-Post-Newbie (who promptly disappears), which then draws in the non-Nikon owners (like a free beer tasting session would to me :D ) and all hell breaks loose.

I've given up on DPReview's forums for this reason, it looks like I'll stay a Nikonian for a while.

Warin
05-24-2005, 01:55 PM
I have been a lurker around here for a few months (thus the newly created ID)... and I too generally stick to Nikonians... coming over here to check out opposing viewpoints, and to keep up on the latest canon ideas (I work at a retailer that sells both).

I am amazed at the number of people on both sides of the fence that feel a need to bicker about camera choices. My comparison is that it is like arguing which is better, Mercedes or BMW.

I chose Nikon because I (see that I part? It indicates opinion, not absolute fact) find that at a similar price, Nikon has far better build quality and ergonomics. However, I accept that others feel the same way about canon. That doesnt make them wrong, or less informed... it is just personal preference.

So why do Canon users feel the need to be smug in the Nikon area, and vice versa? Shouldnt we all display a modicum of maturity and realize that it is the image, not the tool that took it, that matters?

Of course, Nikon IS the heart of the image ;)

aparmley
05-24-2005, 02:18 PM
Hello! Welcome Warin! I do not represent the offical DCresource welcoming committee but I do extend warm welcomes! I follow what you are saying. You must understand though, for every nikonians opinion about how Canonians can be smug [in the nikon area] or anywhere for that matter, there is a Canonian who feels the same about other Nikonians... I like the Nikon Cameras and I would love to have the ability to shoot both Canon and Nikon. I will one day trust me! Its a goal of mine... I may end up buying the D50 when my budget permits but for the time being I am happy with the XT. I can't speak for everyone here but as a Canon XT owner I value the Nikonians viewpoint and knowledge as much as the fellow Canon users... And if for no other reasons, the little .tiffs [pun verify much intended] between the two camps here at DCresource is very entertaining and they will broaden your vocabulary better than a grammer school vocab class! WEEEEEEE!

modicum of maturity see now, you'll fit right in! :D

D70FAN
05-24-2005, 02:36 PM
I have been a lurker around here for a few months (thus the newly created ID)... and I too generally stick to Nikonians... coming over here to check out opposing viewpoints, and to keep up on the latest canon ideas (I work at a retailer that sells both).

I am amazed at the number of people on both sides of the fence that feel a need to bicker about camera choices. My comparison is that it is like arguing which is better, Mercedes or BMW.

I chose Nikon because I (see that I part? It indicates opinion, not absolute fact) find that at a similar price, Nikon has far better build quality and ergonomics. However, I accept that others feel the same way about canon. That doesnt make them wrong, or less informed... it is just personal preference.

So why do Canon users feel the need to be smug in the Nikon area, and vice versa? Shouldnt we all display a modicum of maturity and realize that it is the image, not the tool that took it, that matters?

Of course, Nikon IS the heart of the image ;)

Fortunately that disagreement ship has sailed... and we agree to disagree.

Welcome to the DCRP and the Nikon dSLR thread. Since there really isn't a welcoming committee, it looks like I am the second to do so.

thesween
05-24-2005, 03:33 PM
This is an interesting and long, long discussion. Not so much here, but on EVERY photo board and forum I've been involved with over almost the last ten years. Since the day I got wired and discovered photography "discusssions," the Canon - Nikon argument has raged unabated.

My take? No one asked, but there goes; it's largely a "mine's bigger than yours," thing. Every man who buys bodies, lenses, etc., has a ton of money invested, and none of those men is about to admit that what they have isn't the absolute best, so defending your brand becomes mandatory. Is it silly? Yeah, I'd say so, but no sillier than heated arguments over sports teams, and all of us are either involved in such arguments, or are subjected to them all the time. Personally, I'm a Nikonian, but I could turn into a Canonite without much effort at all. Actually, I wouldn't mind owning a pile of both Nikon and Canon dSLR gear. Oh, one final thought - I am amazed at how many novice photographers are totally obsessed with the MP thing. Here again, "bigger is better" seems to be all that matters. Cheers!

sarcazmo
05-24-2005, 03:33 PM
The problem is that Canon users simply can't comprehend that Nikon simply builds better products period.... LOL! :D

I'm @ Nikonians a lot for the very same reasons you are, however I still say this forum is leaps and bounds better than dpreview.

TheObiJuan
05-24-2005, 03:42 PM
oh god, not again!
Nikon and Canon are like Mercedes Benz & BMW.

Both are great and similar, but it is all in the details.

I chose Canon but would not have made a mistake if I would have gone Nikon.

If I get serious into shooting sports I wouldn't mind getting a hand me down D2h with a 200-400 VR lens and call it a day. :D

My 20D will be for all other shooting. The 1D mark II is too expensive. :p