PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Lenses

fire365
05-12-2005, 07:54 PM
Okay Iím am going to be buying a new lens when I get enough money. I was just wondering which lenses are your guysí favorites and which you might recommend. Now I figure I need a rand from about 16-400 all in all from all my lenses. I know Iím not really going to get bellow 27mm with the magnification factor so I would say a wide zoom is out (for digital right now at least). I was thinking a good general use telephoto maybe a 80-400mm 4.5/5.6 with image stabilization VR on the Nikon side. I think this would do me well for some traveling I plan to do over the summer, a good lens for people photography. There is just one slight problem I canít afford that lens so Iím looking for alternative now I figure I can go town to something like 200mm on the tail end since the magnification will give me about a 300 not as great but it should still be good for me. So any ideas would be nice on a lenses with some halfway decent glass in it preferably something that will work on a studentís budget. Currently all I have is my Nikon 18-70 kit lens.

Rex914
05-12-2005, 07:58 PM
There's a lens forum for this. I just spent an hour of my time a few days ago writing up a whole buyers guide. Linked in my signature...

By the way, the crop factor doesn't literally extend your reach from 200mm to 300mm. It just gives that impression because part of the image is cropped out, giving that illusion because your FOV is smaller.

fire365
05-12-2005, 08:07 PM
Thanks I didn't really pay attention I guess I will head to the lens forum. Yeah I know the crop factor doesn't literaly extend your reach I was just saying that a smaller lens would be fine and the crop factor just helps me forget I can affored the really nice lenses.

Rex914
05-12-2005, 08:12 PM
Unfortunately, I don't think I have any recommendations for cheap telephotos (300mm plus), so you might want to browse around that forum and find some older threads on that.

D70FAN
05-12-2005, 08:32 PM
Okay Iím am going to be buying a new lens when I get enough money. I was just wondering which lenses are your guysí favorites and which you might recommend. Now I figure I need a rand from about 16-400 all in all from all my lenses. I know Iím not really going to get bellow 27mm with the magnification factor so I would say a wide zoom is out (for digital right now at least). I was thinking a good general use telephoto maybe a 80-400mm 4.5/5.6 with image stabilization VR on the Nikon side. I think this would do me well for some traveling I plan to do over the summer, a good lens for people photography. There is just one slight problem I canít afford that lens so Iím looking for alternative now I figure I can go town to something like 200mm on the tail end since the magnification will give me about a 300 not as great but it should still be good for me. So any ideas would be nice on a lenses with some halfway decent glass in it preferably something that will work on a studentís budget. Currently all I have is my Nikon 18-70 kit lens.

Just a quick note: Take a look at the Sigma 80-400 OS.

Rex914
05-12-2005, 08:52 PM
Just a quick note: Take a look at the Sigma 80-400 OS.

For a little more elaboration on why he recommended the Sigma over the Nikon, you might want to check some reviews. If you take a peek at FM, you'll see that the Nikon didn't do too well. And if you look at what people wrote in the cons, you'll see the words "slow AF" in literally 90% of them.

The Sigma on the other hand got some positive reviews, although I'd double check other sources too to verify that.