PDA

View Full Version : Japanese view of the 20D.

TheObiJuan
05-12-2005, 02:35 PM
I went bowling yesterday with some friends. They brought along a group of international students from Japan, about 15 of them. We were having a blast and someone pulled out a camera, a nikon d70with the kit lens. They were taking pics as it was the end of the semester and they would be heading back soon. The D70 owner was using the on camera strobe and it wasn't strong enough for most pics, so my friend asked me to get my camera. I happened to have my 20D and gear in my car so I obliged.
I brought my 20D in and mounted my speedlight to it and was shooting away, and bowling at the same time. We all had a blast. Once some others came they realized I had my camera and they all, mostly, wanted to take pictures with it. Many of them said they use Nikon mostly in Japan, as it is seen as more "elite". Canon is viewed by them as mostly an exporter of their Japanese made goods.
One girl had a 10D and loved Canon though. They all liked the camera and said that they had never got a chance to hold it back home, as it is usually not in stock in the smaller cities.
They were doing comparisons and I was trying my best to be patient with their questions. After them seeing the pics the 20D produced and liking the way it felt, three of them are going to buy 20D's over there. Apparently the 20D warranty here doesn't apply over there? :confused:

One of the guys had a very small "Ixus" camera from Japan. It came with a leather wrap for it so it can go in your pocket. It looked like a credit card holder.

JTL
05-12-2005, 02:44 PM
I went bowling yesterday with some friends. They brought along a group of international students from Japan, about 15 of them. We were having a blast and someone pulled out a camera, a nikon d70with the kit lens. They were taking pics as it was the end of the semester and they would be heading back soon. The D70 owner was using the on camera strobe and it wasn't strong enough for most pics, so my friend asked me to get my camera. I happened to have my 20D and gear in my car so I obliged.
I brought my 20D in and mounted my speedlight to it and was shooting away, and bowling at the same time. We all had a blast. Once some others came they realized I had my camera and they all, mostly, wanted to take pictures with it. Many of them said they use Nikon mostly in Japan, as it is seen as more "elite". Canon is viewed by them as mostly an exporter of their Japanese made goods.
One girl had a 10D and loved Canon though. They all liked the camera and said that they had never got a chance to hold it back home, as it is usually not in stock in the smaller cities.
They were doing comparisons and I was trying my best to be patient with their questions. After them seeing the pics the 20D produced and liking the way it felt, three of them are going to buy 20D's over there. Apparently the 20D warranty here doesn't apply over there? :confused:

One of the guys had a very small "Ixus" camera from Japan. It came with a leather wrap for it so it can go in your pocket. It looked like a credit card holder.That's amusing. Nikon also used to be considered "elite" in the U.S...20 years ago! :D (I'm sure the flames are coming...duck now!)

jeisner
05-12-2005, 04:31 PM
Regarding Japan, its strange I don't know where it originally came from but Canon just doesn't seem to perform as well there? I think Canon does its best in the U.S. but I would love to see all the various DSLR makers sales figures split up via country...

I recently read a DSLR sales report from Japan I have linked it below, it is only from one large retail chain, but gives an indication... I was VERY surprised that KM was actually on top....

http://www.photoethnography.com/blog/2005/02/news-recent-top-five-camera-sales-in.html

Very different from the U.S. I would think...

cwphoto
05-12-2005, 06:18 PM
Canon owns the SLR market here as well.

jeisner
05-12-2005, 06:31 PM
Canon owns the SLR market here as well.

They certainly have a large (dominant) market share here (Australia), but to the same degree as the US??? I don't know... I know Pentax sell much better here than in the US... And I would guess from the sales figures I see that Nikon is maybe worse than the US.

This is why I would be curious to see sales figures broken up by country, not just limited to the company that I work for...

cwphoto
05-12-2005, 06:33 PM
Do you work for Pentax?

jeisner
05-12-2005, 06:40 PM
Do you work for Pentax?

No I work in the H/O of a retail chain that happens to sell a fair number of cameras including low end DSLR (300d/350d/D70/istDS/e300), I don't represent them here so I won't say which one.... Pentax is actually distributed by a company called CR Kennedy, they also distribute Sigma... I know them but definately don't work for them...

D70FAN
05-12-2005, 06:41 PM
That's amusing. Nikon also used to be considered "elite" in the U.S...20 years ago! :D (I'm sure the flames are coming...duck now!)

Nope we are now in a flameless mode.

Nikon was the pioneer in high end film 35mm cameras. They have earned that elite status, and have to work to keep it. But in the last 5-7 years Canon has seen a rebirth, and has bested Nikons efforts in many catagories.

Interesting story from Juan. I have been to Japan maybe 40 times, and Akehabara (Electric Town) is one of my favorite places to hit on Saturday before I come home. Canon, in fact, is quite well known and represented. But Nikon was famous way before Canon, and the Japanese are pretty traditional, so it will take a while longer for Canon to make serious inroads in the general populace there.

Pentax and Minolta are also very popular there.

cwphoto
05-12-2005, 06:46 PM
No I work in the H/O of a retail chain that happens to sell a fair number of cameras including low end DSLR (300d/350d/D70/istDS/e300), I don't represent them here so I won't say which one.... Pentax is actually distributed by a company called CR Kennedies, they also distribute Sigma... I know them but definately don't work for them...

Kennedys also represent Hasselblad from memory. :confused: I see quite a few Pentax SLRs in my photo course (MZ-50) - they must have been quite good value at the time.

jeisner
05-12-2005, 06:50 PM
Kennedys also represent Hasselblad from memory. :confused: I see quite a few Pentax SLRs in my photo course (MZ-50) - they must have been quite good value at the time.

Yes you are correct regarding hasselblad.... Also Bowens, Iriver, Leica, Metz etc

Yeah the Mz60 was cheap, small and light... Had a few drawbacks like not supporting the older M series lenses which bothered me... I don't like the plastic mount either.... But it was good value for money, works well for what it is and was VERY popular back when film was popular... ;)

Norm in Fujino
05-13-2005, 03:28 PM
it will take a while longer for Canon to make serious inroads in the general populace there.

I've lived here for 25 years, but don't really have a feel for the popularity quotient for all the brands. I have a daughter named Kanon, tho ;) and she's been modeling since a few months after she was born; several years ago she modeled for a large brochure for Canon video cameras.
Back on topic, I know the market Canon was aiming for with the 350xt-- new families and women. The name of the camera here is "Digital Kiss" and the advertising has a slogan with it "soft as a baby's kiss," thus hinting it's the perfect tool for capturing your new baby's smile. The diminutive size was not simply an exercise in mindless compacting, but was obviously meant to accommodate smaller hands. So Canon is following its own instincts as to the direction of the DSLR market, and at this point, they seem to be good.

24Peter
05-13-2005, 08:12 PM
My XT is really the right size - but I wish the grip were a bit bigger. Put a heavy lens and flash on there and I'm hanging on for dear life :eek: (I notice my finger nails routinely leave scratches all along the inside of the camera body where the grip and lens mount meet.)

TheObiJuan
05-13-2005, 09:41 PM
I agree with everyone of your assertions. The optional BG-E3 would certainly help! I have a speedlight and a couple of long lenses, and access to really long lenses, and it just didnt feel right. The grip might make it better though.

Those aren't actually scratches but the plastic rubbing off a layer of your fingernails. The 20D has the same plastic and gives the same experience. It can be wiped off very easily and quickly. I find that I don't have to trim my nails as much since I got these cameras. ;)

24Peter
05-14-2005, 07:31 AM
I'm not sure how they'd do it, but an after-market "grip extender" for the XT/350 would be a good idea. And yeah, I see the fingernail dust blows right off. Saves me time from having to file those three on my right hand. :cool:

psyp3
05-14-2005, 08:27 AM
I live in Japan (for last 6 years) and I do own Canon film SLR, (not DSLR yet). Somehow, I also feel Nikon is really treated as ELITE not only for camera but for any optical instruments. I have a VIXEN binocular (pretty high-end), but then again, the shop (Yodobashi Camera in Yokohama) was recommending NIKON.

I am quite ok with Canon and will go for Canon DSLR also, but even back in India, many people (some of them are photographers also) tell me to switch to Nikon, lock, stock and barrel.

But with delayed product release of Nikon (compared to that of Canon), Canon is having an edge.

One thing I must mention here - the wonderful service of Canon Service Center in Tokyo, it is really a good catalyst to retain the loyal customers (like me).

Cheers,

Poolak
(still owns Canon EOS-55)

Rhys
05-14-2005, 08:32 AM
I like anything that's smaller and lighter. I used to heft around Nikon FMs and they certainly are heavy. Sure, you can knock nails in with them but they're just so darned heavy. I say the same about laptops. I have no intention of getting a hernia so I'm always keener on lighter, more portable kit. It's one reason why I'm such a fan of the all-in-one cameras. If somebody made an all-in-one that went from the equivalent of 24mm up to the equivalent of 300mm with no fringing and no moire but with manual and automatic controls and which also had 8 megapixels in a decent-sized sensor then I'd say they're onto a winner. The closest to this seems to be the Panasonic.

Having said that, I think the XT is a wonderful camera. I've handled one and the controls all fall to hand nicely. The weight is just about right and so is the size. I don't have huge hands nor do I have small hands either.

TheObiJuan
05-14-2005, 10:11 AM
I'm not sure how they'd do it, but an after-market "grip extender" for the XT/350 would be a good idea. And yeah, I see the fingernail dust blows right off. Saves me time from having to file those three on my right hand. :cool:

they do, it is called the BG-E3. :D