PDA

View Full Version : Digital Photo Training?

dz86
05-12-2005, 11:48 AM
Does anyone know of any good training courses or materials for digital photography?

emalvick
05-12-2005, 12:43 PM
My suggestion... use these forums as much as possible. Almost every question I've ever had has been answered here at one time or another. It may not be formal, but it is free and you can learn exactly what you want....

And, when you can't find the answer, post the question yourself. This has to be one of the best forums I've ever seen for anything.

If you'd like something a bit better, look into photography books. A lot will depend on the camera, but there are a lot of good digital photography references out there. I've seen numerous ones discussed in these forums as well.

And, I guess if you are looking for more formalized training, look into your local junior college, university, adult school etc... to see if they have courses in photography / digital photgraphy. My old university had a stand alone craft center that offered courses in digital photography that included taking digital photos, scanning photos, and using photoshop. They offered it to all people at different rates. You also may want to ask at a local camera shot if they know of anything.

Erik

aparmley
05-12-2005, 04:25 PM
In addition to the above post nothing can substitue for experience... Find a few local places that have interesting landscapes, architecture and the like and starting taking pictures of them. Review these pictures, try to figure out why you like them and why you dont and keep returning to these sights to try and improve on previous attemps and incorporate those things that you have concluded that would make your pictures better... The more you photograph the more you learn... I love to read about the experiences of others and tips they discovered but if you can't seem to find that right book or perhaps can't afford a class or two... you can certainly learn a lot by just going out and taking pictures changing settings and the reviewing your pictures, showing them to friends ask them what they like and don't like... ask some of them to come along so you can take pictures of them too you can work on portrait techniques as well... I have never realized how rewarding and how much fun going out to all the normal boring places are when you have a camera with you...

Geoff Chandler
05-12-2005, 05:53 PM
Does anyone know of any good training courses or materials for digital photography?
There are several people on this Forum that should be able to point you in the right direction - depending where you are in your experience, you may just need to chat a bit, or purchase some books - but as has already been said - first hand experience is the best thing - couple that with a few questions posted on here as you go and you should be well away.
Look at Gary Hendrix's Tips, and visit his site. I know also that speaklightly has done many lectures on the subject - I don't know how easy it would be for you to purchase some of her books... also others may suggest other good books to read through. Personally, for me, I spent many years with good old SLR's and learnt from others as I went, along with attending evening classes in the early days - and all I am doing is transfering that knowledge over and adapting it to the new tecnhnology - additionally I enjoy the PC/Darkroom aspect of it.
Good luck
Geoff

dz86
05-13-2005, 08:12 PM
Thank you very much. I appreciate it!
Dave

speaklightly
05-16-2005, 07:30 AM
dz86-

This is certainly a lot of good advise in this thread. I sent you a list of some books in a PM or private message, and I would be happy to work with you, please just send me a PM.

Have a great day.

Sarah Joyce