PDA

View Full Version : canon 1dmk2 or nikon d2x

cwp
05-12-2005, 05:28 AM
Hi
I have a good nkon kit d2h, d70 , nikon lens & flash's

I have been very dissapointed with a lot of issues with this set up.

I have also had canon's D30 and kit a few years ago.( I hated it)

Do I buy the D2x which seems to be great or do buy a 1dmk2, flash and L lens for the same price as d2x body and move to canon.
Since the D1h nikon has never lived up to expectations

Clive

jamison55
05-12-2005, 09:40 AM
Hi

Do I buy the D2x which seems to be great or do buy a 1dmk2, flash and L lens for the same price as d2x body and move to canon.

Clive

Pretty general question, but in general a switch to a new system is a major step. Please expound upon your issues with your Nikon cameras, and we can better evaluate if a switch would help with them...

TheObiJuan
05-12-2005, 10:36 AM
so what is it, do you have a d2h or d1h.
The D2H is a stellar camera if you learn how to wield it properly. You mention a lot of names of cameras but dont provide much more information. Why do you require such equipment? What type of photography do you do, I assume it is sports related.

Rex914
05-12-2005, 11:42 AM
You need to be more specific about your problems. A switch to another system, especially in your case is a costly decision.

D70FAN
05-12-2005, 11:59 AM
Hi

Clive

Not enough data. What were the disappointments with the cameras you have used? Maybe that will help us in the discussion.

jamison55
05-12-2005, 12:13 PM
so what is it, do you have a d2h or d1h.
The D2H is a stellar camera if you learn how to wield it properly. You mention a lot of names of cameras but dont provide much more information. Why do you require such equipment? What type of photography do you do, I assume it is sports related.

ObiJuan...I like you and everything, but dude, you got to ease up on the newbies...

TheObiJuan
05-12-2005, 03:14 PM
[QUOTE=jamison55]ObiJuan...I like you and everything, but dude, you got to ease up on the newbies...[/QUOTE

If you would have heard me speak it you would know I mean none of what I said with malice or intended to have a harsh tone. If it seems that way, then sorry. :p

I didn't know if he had a D1H or D2H, so I asked. The I threw in a compliment to a great camera and then I asked that he provide more information so we can assist him with his question. Finally I asked why he needed it, for what type of photography he intended it to be for.

Jumping into a pro body is a huge expense and if he can get good use out of the H, then why not keep it. Perhaps there is something wrong on his end. A friend on another forum swapped from a 1D to the D2H and was having some trouble getting good shots with it. Adapting to its AF system and metering was a lil' diffiuclt, but with lots of practice and help he can weild that camera like nobody's business.

For the price the D2H is the greatest pro camera body for sports or fast action. The 1DMKII has better battery power, better noise performance, more MP, and etc, but costs much much more. :(

cwp
05-12-2005, 04:13 PM
Hi
I know the detail is sketchy but I just came across the forum today and have not had much experience of forums.
I have a D2h, I dont like the white balance, 80% of the time I have to resort to Kelvin or pre set to get it right. Exposure is also hit and miss. It is less than a year old and has been back for repair (faulty meter).
The d70 is fine but most of my work is press and pr and its too slow. ( it is also showing problems, shutter jams, and the button needs to be pressed a second time to release it) The D70 was bought in october last year.
Since the nikons are having so many problem, I'am considering changing to canon as all the press locally have done and say they are happy with their camera's.

cwp
05-12-2005, 04:24 PM
the reason I ask the question- while money is a factor, I want the best tool for the job ( the one that make taking photographs easy an not a chore.)

today I got a quote for a 1dMk11, 17-40 L and 580 ex- The price for this kit is just less than a D2x body.
SO- i can spend on a d2x or buy canon kit and sell the nikon kit. The Nikon kit as a PX or commisson sale would buy the extra canon lenses and 20D.

D70FAN
05-12-2005, 04:56 PM
[QUOTE=jamison55]ObiJuan...I like you and everything, but dude, you got to ease up on the newbies...[/QUOTE

If you would have heard me speak it you would know I mean none of what I said with malice or intended to have a harsh tone. If it seems that way, then sorry. :p

I didn't know if he had a D1H or D2H, so I asked. The I threw in a compliment to a great camera and then I asked that he provide more information so we can assist him with his question. Finally I asked why he needed it, for what type of photography he intended it to be for.

Jumping into a pro body is a huge expense and if he can get good use out of the H, then why not keep it. Perhaps there is something wrong on his end. A friend on another forum swapped from a 1D to the D2H and was having some trouble getting good shots with it. Adapting to its AF system and metering was a lil' diffiuclt, but with lots of practice and help he can weild that camera like nobody's business.

For the price the D2H is the greatest pro camera body for sports or fast action. The 1DMKII has better battery power, better noise performance, more MP, and etc, but costs much much more. :(

Juan, I like your new bye-line/signature. Thanks.

Sounds like money is not a high priority on this one. And it doesn't sound like questions a pro would ask. So maybe just somebody that likes nice cameras.

I wonder if anybody on the DCRP owns a D2X or 1D MKII (or even a 1Ds MKII)? It would be interesting to get their point of view. I've been tempted to rent one, but at $260 a weekend I'd rather buy a new lens.

Anyway, this should be an interesting discussion.

D70FAN
05-12-2005, 05:11 PM
the reason I ask the question- while money is a factor, I want the best tool for the job ( the one that make taking photographs easy an not a chore.)

today I got a quote for a 1dMk11, 17-40 L and 580 ex- The price for this kit is just less than a D2x body.
SO- i can spend on a d2x or buy canon kit and sell the nikon kit. The Nikon kit as a PX or commisson sale would buy the extra canon lenses and 20D.

Since either way you are dropping more than $5K, I guess my first question is have you tried these cameras yet? That would be my first suggestion. In most metro areas there is generally a camera store that has a pro rental area, so you could really try before you buy. Renting is not cheap, but it is a lot less expensive that playing "musical cameras". If that doesn't work, maybe you can talk the camera store into a short trial period with each (this may be a long shot).

The problem with giving advice is that I don't think any of us here own either of these cameras (D2X or 1D MKII), but maybe there is a "peeper" out there that can help.

Given my druthers (and the budget) I would have both...one for show, and one for dough...doesn't matter which is which. ;)

jeisner
05-12-2005, 05:38 PM
George is right, the best option would be to hire both cameras and try them out... Yes it is an expensive thing to do, but these are high priced cameras and so it is worth making sure you get the one right for you...

sarcazmo
05-12-2005, 05:46 PM
I love my D70, and the D2x seems like a hell of a camera.

However, it appears that Nikon may be having some QC issues with 'em. If I were you, I might pose the same question over at the Fredmiranda forums. LOTS of people who have experience with both cameras, and for the most part give you unbiased opinions.

D70FAN
05-12-2005, 05:51 PM

However, it appears that Nikon may be having some QC issues with 'em. If I were you, I might pose the same question over at the Fredmiranda forums. LOTS of people who have experience with both cameras, and for the most part give you unbiased opinions.

Sarcazmo, any pointers to the QC issues part? Easier than digging through the website. ;)

Thanks.

jamison55
05-12-2005, 06:06 PM
I have a D2h, I dont like the white balance, 80% of the time I have to resort to Kelvin or pre set to get it right. Exposure is also hit and miss. It is less than a year old and has been back for repair (faulty meter).

I was actually shooting a wedding with a Nikon user recently (I'm a Canon guy). I looked over to him and said "I wish I had your flash metering". He responded, "Yeah, but your color is better". Color is definitely subjective, but if you prefer the Canon's scheme, that's a pretty good reason to switch!

The d70 is fine but most of my work is press and pr and its too slow. ( it is also showing problems, shutter jams, and the button needs to be pressed a second time to release it) The D70 was bought in october last year.
Since the nikons are having so many problem, I'am considering changing to canon as all the press locally have done and say they are happy with their camera's.

That's the real kicker. I am a member of a professinal wedding photographer's assn, and I am familiar with several pro photogs who have traded their Nikon gear for Canon 1D kits. Their main reason being the reliability of the Nikon gear. When you make you living capturing fleeting moments, you have to be able to rely on your gear 100%. To be fair, I know of one Canon 1 series user who switched to Nikon for the same reason!

cwphoto
05-12-2005, 06:32 PM
[QUOTE=TheObiJuan]

Juan, I like your new bye-line/signature. Thanks.

Sounds like money is not a high priority on this one. And it doesn't sound like questions a pro would ask. So maybe just somebody that likes nice cameras.

I wonder if anybody on the DCRP owns a D2X or 1D MKII (or even a 1Ds MKII)? It would be interesting to get their point of view. I've been tempted to rent one, but at $260 a weekend I'd rather buy a new lens.

Anyway, this should be an interesting discussion.

I have used both Canon 1D Mark II and 1Ds Mark II but am unfamiliar with the Nikon.

Therefore don't know how much value my comments will provide...

D70FAN
05-12-2005, 07:26 PM
[QUOTE=George Riehm]

I have used both Canon 1D Mark II and 1Ds Mark II but am unfamiliar with the Nikon.

Therefore don't know how much value my comments will provide...

It would probably be better if you owned one or both of those cameras.

Unfortunately there is a 3 week waiting list to rent the D2X, so I'm not much help there.

D70FAN
05-12-2005, 07:28 PM

Part of the problem with boards, Fred Miranda's included is that you don't really know if the person giving advice has a clue, or is a shill.

Again, if you could direct us to the QC issues part it would really help.

Thanks.

cwp
05-13-2005, 02:42 AM
Thanks for the imput so far. It seems as if no one here has experience of both camera's. The D2x is not available for hire here as back orders have not been filled as yet.
Hire both would be good option.

sarcazmo
05-13-2005, 02:51 AM
Part of the problem with boards, Fred Miranda's included is that you don't really know if the person giving advice has a clue, or is a shill.

Again, if you could direct us to the QC issues part it would really help.

Thanks.

Seems to be mostly focusing probs

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/222122
http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/221801
http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/220886
http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/220377
http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/219599
http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/218348

And a thread asking for opinions between D2x and MKII
http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/220189

Since FM is a community of a lot of enthusiasts, the number of problems could seem way out of proportion.

TheObiJuan
05-13-2005, 08:01 AM
one guy was also having trouble with corrupt files, 5 out of 10 shots were corrupted.