PDA

View Full Version : Casio Ex-Z750 vs Canon SD400/Ixus40

davidtowers
05-11-2005, 04:43 AM
Hi,

For the past month now I have been looking to buy a new ultracompact digital camera. I have narrowed it down somewhat, and I think it lies between the Canon Powershot SD400 and the Casio Ex-Z750.

I am aware that the Casio hasn't had many reviews at all, however people seem to be happy with the camera and I am particularly impressed with the battery life and the ability to record MPEG 4.

I would like to ask if you guys know with the software given with the Canon SD400 if they give software to convert the AVI-JPEG Movies it records into MPEG4s?

I don't feel I have need at all for a 7 megapixel camera however would be willing to pay for the Casio in order to get the MPEG4 video option and the immense battery life in comparison to the poor offered by the Canon.

My main concern however is the picture quality of the Casio. I know Canon is renowned for excellent quality and the 5 megapixels offered by the Sd400 will be ample for what I need.

I would like to ask you guys what you think? Should I go for the Casio or the Canon? Do you think the Casio build quality will be as high? I would really like this camera to last me many years and don't want it to break or become slow or useless, and really want it to take good photos every time.

I am going to pay a lot because I want this camera to accompany me on my travels, and I want it to be able to be in my pocket all the time! I need a camera which always gets a clear photo, and would love it to have good movie mode too...

I am also going to buy a Sacndisk 2GB Ultra II SD card.

Please I would love to know your opinions on this matter!

Look forward to hearing from you,

David

P.S. Does anyone know is the Casio Ex-Z750 has panoramic mode? The Canons Pan mode I know is superb!

trikster2
05-14-2005, 07:24 AM
build quality?

Doesn't the SD400 have breaky lcd? Or was that the SD200?

Upgraded my wife's canon S100 to a Z750. Thought the Z750 would be larger/feel cheaper but it is the exact same size as the S100 but has a much bigger LCD and pretty good feel to it. So far the wife is amazed and loves it.

The SD400 is smaller than the Z750 so if size is what you want, go with that.

there are sample picts for both cameras everywhere, including this forum.

Here's a few more for the z750

http://www.rudedogmedia.com/rudedogphoto/

Be aware the MPEG4 is a dual edged sword. Smaller files but Casio claims minimum computer for playback is 2Ghz P4, and I believe them. A friend with a 1.8 ghz computer has problemns with the sound synching with the video on my Z750 videos....

To me both camera's look great, I don't think you can go wrong. If you need the MPEG4 than the Z750, small size, like canons the SD400/500.