PDA

View Full Version : Pentax 1stDS Photos

speaklightly
05-10-2005, 07:51 PM
In all honesty, I do not feel that we give sufficient credit to the folks over on the Pentax SLR thread. Both WightWalker and Jeisner have posted so really6 great digital photos from their Pentax 1stDS cameras.

Let's be real folks, we are sort of biased to the Canon side of the picture. I think that Norm over on the Olympus thread and Jeisner and WightWalker are submitting some great digital photos that really deserve our attention.

I had a Pentax set-up, but I was faced with the conumdrum of supporting the Canon dSLR family, the Nikon dSLR family and then adding the Pentax family as well. Folks, it just was not economically possible.

None the less, the Pentax dSLR folks do indeed need some recognition. The Pentax 1stDS is a great digital camera. No, it will never have the popularity of Canon or Nikon, but it is still a great digital camera.

Sarah Joyce

Bluedog
05-10-2005, 08:32 PM
I checked them out and the results look very nice.

jeisner
05-10-2005, 08:43 PM
In all honesty, I do not feel that we give sufficient credit to the folks over on the Pentax SLR thread. Both WightWalker and Jeisner have posted so really great digital photos from their Pentax 1stDS cameras.

Wow where did that come from ;) Thanks Speaklightly!!!

None the less, the Pentax dSLR folks do indeed need some recognition. The Pentax 1stDS is a great digital camera. No, it will never have the popularity of Canon or Nikon, but it is still a great digital camera.

Yep Canon is somewhat the Microsoft of the camera world and it isn't going to change anytime soon. Thats cool with me!!! As for Pentax popularity, well you may be surprised outside the US. I think in the US the popularity is low for Pentax as a brand generally....

I can't speak for other countries (although I know it has done well in Japan) but historically Pentax has always done well here in Australia. I actually work in the HO of a large retail chain here in Australia and I have to be careful what I disclose.. But lets just say even though I am a fan of Pentax I am honestly surprised how well the ist DS is doing in Australia... They are selling VERY well....

Will they threaten Canon, hell no, especially with their woeful marketing department (Pentax's biggest fault IMO) but they are have finally after one complete flop and another mediocre (due to high pricing) success made some serious inroads into the DSLR market...

Rex914
05-10-2005, 09:21 PM
Yep Canon is somewhat the Microsoft of the camera world and it isn't going to change anytime soon.

Hehe, if that were true, they'd have to hold over 90% of the market, which clearly isn't the case. ;) In fact, that will never happen since nobody holds more than 15-16% of the overall market as it stands. Even in the DSLR segment, Canon holds a substantial, but not monopolistic 60% of the market share. Nikon follows at around 30%. Pentax, Olympus, and the others account for the remaining 10%.

jeisner
05-10-2005, 10:02 PM
Hehe, if that were true, they'd have to hold over 90% of the market, which clearly isn't the case. ;) In fact, that will never happen since nobody holds more than 15-16% of the overall market as it stands. Even in the DSLR segment, Canon holds a substantial, but not monopolistic 60% of the market share. Nikon follows at around 30%. Pentax, Olympus, and the others account for the remaining 10%.

I think MS is down to 85% of OS market, although it is much lower but still dominant in other areas.... Your right Canon still has a bit of work to do with only 63% of the DSLR market...

Rex914
05-10-2005, 10:11 PM
Last time I checked (recent report this year), MS was still holding 95%, Apple was holding 3% and the remaining 2% went to other OS'es. But oh well, this is a digicam forum not an OS forum. :)

Now that I think of it, those numbers look more like MS's market share when it comes to web browsers.

jeisner
05-10-2005, 10:23 PM
Last time I checked (recent report this year), MS was still holding 95%, Apple was holding 3% and the remaining 2% went to other OS'es. But oh well, this is a digicam forum not an OS forum. :)

I believe that is the home desktop OS figure.... I actually quoted the business sector client machine figure, sorry about that... And for servers in business sector MS is much worse off again but thats neither here nor there...

Now that I think of it, those numbers look more like MS's market share when it comes to web browsers.

Yep pretty darn close...

Norm in Fujino
05-11-2005, 06:16 AM
In all honesty, I do not feel that we give sufficient credit to the folks over on the Pentax SLR thread.

I appreciate Sarah's attempt to raise consciousness of the Pentax work being done here. In a "mixed-brand" forum like this I think we tend to be more sensitive than we should be to brand image (at least judging from the discussions on the various manufacturer threads)--and perhaps not sufficiently aware of how that may subtly impact our judgment of the photographic image. I try to continue reminding myself that " award-winning photographs are taken by award-winning photographers, not by award-winning cameras." All the cameras we use have their strong points and their weak, and half the fun of getting a new camera is learning its own unique idiosyncrasies--the places we have to compensate for the camera, and the places the camera compensates for us. I'm still a wee beginner in the dSLR medium, still futzing around with RAW converters and trying to develop my color sensitivity in a way that just wasn't necessary back when I shot only JPEG. A new workflow is also in the works. Shooting 13.7 MB raw images and then converting to 45MB TIFF takes up the disc real estate quite a bit quicker than the old 2.3MB JPEGs! I'm also now having to think about juggling hardware in a way that wasn't necessary when my only lens was the built-in 10x of the C-755. My Oly 50mm macro is unforgivingly sharp, while my Sigma 55-200 is unforgivingly soft at the telephoto, so I'm finding it takes more personal skill to use either one well. It's all a slow learning process. I just love beautiful photos, no matter what hardware was responsible for capturing them.

speaklightly
05-11-2005, 06:33 AM
Norm-

I think you raise a very valid point. The real fun is mastering the skill and in consistently producing great photos. The camera brand, at least to me is secondary. Each brand, as you have said, Norm, has its strong features and the weaker features that you need to develop work arounds for to get the photos that byou want.

My thought, with this thread, was to recognize some great photos posted in a folder that some folks might not go to regularly.

Sarah Joyce

Rhys
05-11-2005, 06:55 AM
I believe that is the home desktop OS figure.... I actually quoted the business sector client machine figure, sorry about that... And for servers in business sector MS is much worse off again but thats neither here nor there...

In Britain, MS powers only 2 of my 3 computers.
In the US, MS powers only 2 of my 4 computers.

jeisner
05-11-2005, 06:40 PM
In Britain, MS powers only 2 of my 3 computers.
In the US, MS powers only 2 of my 4 computers.

We have gone way off topic, but that is alot of of computers Rhys ;)

I only have three being desktop and laptop and MP3/divx server... Desktop is Debian (linux), my Mp3 server is Slackware (linux) and my laptop is Windows XP, although I think I may make the laptop dual boot with debain also. I just haven't got around to doing it yet ;)