PDA

View Full Version : Z740 Comments

bwdonovan
05-06-2005, 03:05 PM
I recently aquired a Z740 as part of the Digital Photo solution. I am happy with the camera but have some comments about the overall product.

The USB cable that comes with the Digital Photo Solution works with the Printer Dock. It will not plug into the camera. This can cause you to have to go out and purchase another USB cable if you want to transfer pictures to another computer (traveling, work, etc). This is not clear from the documentation, as it indicates that you can transfer pictures from the camera to the computer using the "USB Cable". I've spoken to and e-mailed people at Kodak about this, indicating that I felt this was a mistake to require a different USB cable, they should use common connector types. One technical support person sent me an e-mail offering a cable, but when I called the number I was given, that person said they wouldn't send me one.

On top of all this, I have been having problems transferring pictures using the printer dock and EasyShare. After 2.5 weeks, I finally realized that when you install EasyShare and select Typical install, it wasn't installing the Printer Dock SW by default. I had to go into Custom to get the Printer Dock SW installed. This was not how the instructions are written, and Technical Support never even checked what was installed or not, they just kept having me reinstall and shutdown most everything else on my computer. Anyway, at least the Printer Dock is recognized, but I'm still having problems with EasyShare. It won't start-up and transfer pictures automatically. I can see the camera in My Computer and transfer pictures manually. I can also use Picasa to transfer. Kodak has again said they would send me a USB cable to connect my camera directly. I'm guessing that there is something unique on my computer conflicting with EasyShare, but it is frustrating.

Again, happy with the camera itself, just be sure you really want the Printer Dock if you buy the Digital Photo solution. The camera is now available by itself.

Brian

tgaf
05-07-2005, 08:20 AM
Hi, Brian,

Thanks for your comments. I have a Z740 too and am very happy with the camera also. A long time ago, with my first digital camera (HP C30), I ran into problems transferring pics from the camera to the computer and subsequently resorted to a flash card reader. It is simpler, faster, cleaner (no wires and multiple connections all over the place). Readers can be purchased for as little as $15 (or even can be free, with rebates).

I only use the printer for printing. I don't even use the battery pack that came with the camera or use the dock for charging. My own batteries are higher powered and my own charger is faster and I don't have to be without the camera while it is on the dock charging.

Enjoy your camera. Happy shooting.

Tom

AIC66
01-20-2006, 05:19 PM
I received just the Z740 camera for Christmas. I received the USB cable to link directly to the PC. I however did not receive a Charging Dock, or AC/DC adapter chord to charge the rechargeable battery, I have purchased energizer AA rech batteries to fix the problem, but am wasting the battery that came packaged. I am looking around to find a cheap charging dock 49.99USD is too much from Kodaks store.

I was wondering if anyone knows if there will be an underwater housing made for this model? Also am looking for other additions. Telephoto, Macro lenses, and anything else to add to this great product. Thanks

Shawn - Newbie to forum and photography

speaklightly
01-20-2006, 07:26 PM
AIC-

You can easily find an inexpensive battery charger on e-bay.

Speaklightly