PDA

View Full Version : Lens help

kasirah
08-31-2004, 02:41 PM
OK-I have pretty much decided to go with the D70 kit, but also want to get another lens with more 'zoom'. The Tamron 70-300 was suggested by one dealer and either the Nikon 70-300 G? or Nikon 70-300 ED by another dealer. My price range for an extra lens is no more than $325. Any thoughts or suggestions? I prefer to stay with Nikon only because I don't really have any experience or knowledge of Tamron or Sigma. :confused:

Thanks!

D70FAN
08-31-2004, 04:51 PM
OK-I have pretty much decided to go with the D70 kit, but also want to get another lens with more 'zoom'. The Tamron 70-300 was suggested by one dealer and either the Nikon 70-300 G? or Nikon 70-300 ED by another dealer. My price range for an extra lens is no more than $325. Any thoughts or suggestions? I prefer to stay with Nikon only because I don't really have any experience or knowledge of Tamron or Sigma. :confused:

Thanks!

Every lens has its good points and not so good points. The rule of thumb is "buy the best lens you can afford". The 70-300 ED is within your budget and is twice the price of the G for good reason...better glass.

With digital cameras ED glass is always better as it has a tendancy to reduce Chromatic Aborations (CA or purple fringing in high contrast areas). For about the same price Tamron may be a good lens, but, hey the Nikkor is the better choice.

The $50 Nikon rebate makes it even better (and cheaper than the Tamron).