View Full Version : S1 IS - Yes or no

roxbury29
08-31-2004, 10:23 AM
Hello,
i need some help
been looking at this camera since it came out
I need a new camera - have had several 2 meg with not much zoom
This has interested me

My question is - can a beginner use it, would someone who does not know much - just be able to turn on - auto and shoot ( needs to be simple for my wife )

only - or usually just print 8x10 or smaller - mostly 5x7 or 4x6

Rhys
08-31-2004, 11:57 AM
Hello,
i need some help
This has interested me

My question is - can a beginner use it, would someone who does not know much - just be able to turn on - auto and shoot ( needs to be simple for my wife )

The S1 is not really a beginner's camera. It's more of an advanced amateur's camera or even a professional's camera.

I'd imagine your wife would be happier with something that she could slip into her handbag that wouldn't take up too much space. I'd imagine the lens cap of the S1, which isn't that secure, would slip off in a handbag rather too easily, exposing the lens element to the sharp and abrasive objects in her handbag. I'd suggest one of the smaller point and shoot cameras such as the Nikon 3100/3200.

roxbury29
08-31-2004, 05:48 PM
Hello, thanks for the information.. i looked up the review..
it seemed kinda ughh... for overal night and days shots.
I had the canon s1 - 2meg and kodak dx4230
both were good mainly in daylight out door pics..

How is the canon A75 ???

Rhys
09-01-2004, 05:12 AM
Hello, thanks for the information.. i looked up the review..
it seemed kinda ughh... for overal night and days shots.
I had the canon s1 - 2meg and kodak dx4230
both were good mainly in daylight out door pics..

How is the canon A75 ???

Well, this is quite a decent night photo - especially when one considers the net curtain had the audacity to flop down in front of the lens half way through the sequence (which I'm currently re-shooting). I took it with my S1, using the intervalometer.

roxbury29
09-01-2004, 08:28 AM
Hi, is this the new S1 IS .

This is why I like canon camera's
I had good luck with my old Canon powershot s1 - from a few years ago
it was only 2.1meg - but not a bad camera - proprietory battery
and some manual features, but still the auto control was there when needed..

I was hoping this S1 IS - still basically is easy enough to turn on and go - and still get nice pics... but If the situation arrives that more control is necessary
then it would not be too difficult to still get a nice shot.

A friend of mine just purchased the A75 - it seems nice, I always liked my
slr for the fact -my canon AE1 - with 210-3 ++ mm lens was nice for the far shot.. - cant afford the digital rebel :(

The super zoom cameras look very appealing - olym c-7+++
or min - Z2 and z3 ( still dont really have 500 to spend )

I guess I getting to - is it safe to buy the S1-IS -
or forget the zoomss and go with a more basic point and shoot 3 or 4meg camera a75- and similiar models ???

thanks
Marc

jakubusa
09-01-2004, 08:32 AM
Well I just got the S1 IS last night, so I am not yet able to give you a definite impression, but yes, you can shoot with the auto mode in decent light without being an expert.

What really sets the S1 IS apart is the video mode. If you do not care about video get the $100 cheaper A75 instead. The A75 is less bulky and more suited for point and shoot.

But I will not talk down the S1 IS. Took some pictures last night with the light on in the house and they turned out great, even in dim light with flash (portraits). Videos also look good, but you need to turn on all the lights you have in the house if shooting without daylight. I hooked up the patch cable to my TV and played the video. Would not know that was taken with a regular digital camera! One thing that really impressed me was the microphone. Great audio quality. Gotta be better audio than my dad's Sony mini DV camera. Yes, one thing about cases for this model: it's awfully hard to find a small case to fit this thing because of its square shape. I might have to go with a larger bag which will likely not fit into a handbag - just be aware of this issue.

roxbury29
09-02-2004, 06:55 AM
hi.. thanks for all you input.

I appreciate the information...
I hopefully will be able to get a camera this weekend..
Unfortunatly there has to be so many choices...
I just wanted an idea - that the s1 was still easy to use, and has manual control - w/ a zoom better than 3x opt.

I do not know why mfg's don't make camera's w/ more than 3x opt
How has this been set the standard - just not quite enough

thanks again.
Marc

Rhys
09-02-2004, 07:51 AM
hi.. thanks for all you input.

I appreciate the information...
I hopefully will be able to get a camera this weekend..
Unfortunatly there has to be so many choices...
I just wanted an idea - that the s1 was still easy to use, and has manual control - w/ a zoom better than 3x opt.

I do not know why mfg's don't make camera's w/ more than 3x opt
How has this been set the standard - just not quite enough

thanks again.
Marc

I suspect that 3x zoom became more of a standard with 35mm point and shoot cameras. 35-70 became commonplace. Personally, I find 3x is adequate for 90% of situations. I love the longer zoom on the S1 though.

This photo is one I took with the S1 set to P mode, during a session on the intervalometer. I note that it does not appear to want to give an exposure of greater than one second.

roxbury29
09-02-2004, 08:27 AM
Hello,
You have the canon S1 - Do you have other camera's you like better
Or is this your preferred dig camera ?

I never had a camera with more than 3x opt zoom
except for my slr camera
i have 50-210 and a 210 to 410 lens and 2x multiplier I used occasionally

Just the idea to have the zoom when needed in a dig camera seems kinda nice.

If I can get the zoom out of my head, is there a better camera i could get

how about the sony - DScV1 or DScw1 / a75 or a80 - i guess a85 or a95 are similiar too..

:confused:

jakubusa
09-02-2004, 12:40 PM
I would approach it from this standpoint:

Take into account 3 things -

What are the must-have features, what is 'nice to have'. This could be a long list.
What is your budget? Don't forget rechargeable batteries and needed accessories such as higher capacity CF cards.
What will you do with the pictures/movies? Posters or heavy cropping or 4X6 prints for images; movies to keep or just for temporary use? Will you have an SLR as second camera to use for those 'special' shots?

Once you answered those questions you will have narrowed down your choices considerably. Then check the reviews. I found the Powershot Series from Canon to be the best fit for what I was looking for. However, each model will have its strenghts and weaknesses and the final choice can well be extremely agonizing.

tc17
09-02-2004, 08:11 PM
Hello,
i need some help
This has interested me

Whatever camera you get, try to buy it from a place that has a good return policy in case you don't like the camera. Many places charge restocking fees.

I currently have the S1 also, for about a week now. I originally wanted a small camera so I didn't have to lug around a larger one. However the zoom on the Canon S1 is also something I wanted and was torn between the two.

I'm debating about keeping it, but it looks more likely that I will. Its more money than I wanted to spend.

The Canon S1 does sometimes have trouble focusing at full telephoto on dark objects. Its small considering it has a 10x zoom, but still slightly heavier than I would have liked. I also had to set camera to sharpen the picture more, in the options menu. The Image Stabilization is nice, as I leave it on all the time.

The previous Nikon 3700 I returned was extremely small, and I liked it. Just that it only has a 3x zoom, and its video mode has a audio/video sync problem. But otherwise that is a very good point and shoot camera that has a $100 rebate.

roxbury29
09-03-2004, 07:35 AM
Hi, thanks for the information,
I thougt about camera size as well ..
I originally wanted the sony F717 - just too large- and too expensive right now

The Zoom on the S1 and IS seems hard to pass up, A few of my friends just purchased the C-740 from olympus, its nice - except on longer zooms, the picture will probably not come out.

I think best buy charges restock too , maybe?? if more than 7 days.
I just didnt now if 3 meg was enough.. I usually just print 4x6 and 5x7 anyway...

Hopefully this weekend I can make my choice and start taking some pictures..!

I still am very interested in the Canon S1 IS - it just seems perfect.. to capture a nice shot and short video if needed - my kids are young and if that moment arrives to shoot some video I wont have to try to find my Hi8 cam.
And with the IS - it seems the video - will come out rather nice ...

Where did you find your Canon at ?

buzz
09-03-2004, 08:15 AM
I bought mine at Newegg.com for $399 about a month ago...Love it!
I can't wait for the S2 IS to come out, i'll be the first in line.

tc17
09-03-2004, 08:23 AM
BestBuy has a 15% restocking fee and 14 days to return, unless its defective, then no restocking fee. I think CircuitCity is the same.

I purchased mine from an internet store, www.buydig.com. They have 10 days to return with a 10%-20% restocking fee, whichever it is, they never did answer my email question specifically asking which it is. But I got mine for $328 from them, which included shipping... their price varies every day.

Mine also came with fingerprints on the lens and LCD, so it might have been a return. Although I don't see anything else wrong with it.

The video is very nice. Just that it takes up huge amounts of compactflash space. In 640x480 mode, you would get roughly 1 minute per 100megs of space.

3.2mp's is plenty to print 8x10 prints. I even have printed 8x10 prints with my previous Nikon 950 which is only 2.1mp. More MP's, gives you more ability to crop photos, and print larger than 8x10.

Make sure you read the review sites also on the camera. I usually go to google.com and search for the words "canon s1 review" and read the reviews. I'm no camera expert myself.

NeoteriX
09-03-2004, 08:46 AM
Just got my S1 IS in the mail today from electricsam.com

I'm excited to try this baby out!

Rhys
09-03-2004, 08:50 AM
Hi, thanks for the information,
I thougt about camera size as well ..
I originally wanted the sony F717 - just too large- and too expensive right now

The Zoom on the S1 and IS seems hard to pass up, A few of my friends just purchased the C-740 from olympus, its nice - except on longer zooms, the picture will probably not come out.

I think best buy charges restock too , maybe?? if more than 7 days.
I just didnt now if 3 meg was enough.. I usually just print 4x6 and 5x7 anyway...

Hopefully this weekend I can make my choice and start taking some pictures..!

I still am very interested in the Canon S1 IS - it just seems perfect.. to capture a nice shot and short video if needed - my kids are young and if that moment arrives to shoot some video I wont have to try to find my Hi8 cam.
And with the IS - it seems the video - will come out rather nice ...

Where did you find your Canon at ?

Video on the S1 is great until the light becomes poor. I considered getting a video camera but decided not to as I don't want to watch videos. Video clips on the PC are another matter however. For me, the S1 video was the thing that made me choose the S1 over the Nikon 5700 despite my being brand-faithful to Nikon. I liked the extra megapixels on the 5700 but didn't feel the 8 times zoom was great enough and heard strange rumours about an oddly-placed power switch. I realise now that all the negative reviews on the 5700 were as nonsensical as those on the S1. Having said that, I'd probably buy the S1 again on grounds of cost and performance.

In terms of storage, I'd suggest buying 256mb cards as a minimum and preferably 512 or 1gb. 2 minutes of video take up around 256 megabytes.

JohnBrowning
09-03-2004, 01:31 PM
How is the flash performance on the S1 versus the A75/85/95 series of cameras? Are they all good enough for indoor family type shots? I'd like to be able to take a picture of the whole family at thanksgiving, for example, and have the flash able to provide enough light for a good shot.

JohnBrowning
09-03-2004, 01:53 PM
For that matter, after looking things up, I notice that the S1-IS, the A95, and the S60 all have the same flash ranges (14ft.). Does that mean that each of them will take approximately equally good flash pictures at the 14 foot range, or will the bigger better featured cameras be able to take better flash pictures because of other reasons (e.g., CCD size, although not apples to apples here because the S1 is a 3.2MP, and the others are 5PM with bigger CCDs).

Rhys
09-03-2004, 04:33 PM
For that matter, after looking things up, I notice that the S1-IS, the A95, and the S60 all have the same flash ranges (14ft.). Does that mean that each of them will take approximately equally good flash pictures at the 14 foot range, or will the bigger better featured cameras be able to take better flash pictures because of other reasons (e.g., CCD size, although not apples to apples here because the S1 is a 3.2MP, and the others are 5PM with bigger CCDs).

Generally, I find digital cameras work very well with their flashes. I can't say I have ever used the flash on my S1. I have noticed that a tiny little flash lights up a huge area with digital. I wonder whether perhaps the CCDs are very sensitive to short bursts of light - unlike film. I'm talking about a flash from my drive accross the road that lights up the house on the other side of the road - unheard of with 35mm but with digital, easy as pie.

roxbury29
09-03-2004, 06:16 PM
Thanks for all the help, went to best buy today -online it is 359
at the store it is 399... could not get help/.... but they had the a75/a85 and a95
in stock... they seemed like pretty nice camera's

The canon S1 IS - that I was going to buy - I don't think they had it. not really sure - could not get any help.. not suprising.

the A powershot camera's seem very similiar to my older S - powershot from Canon. like the S1 IS too.. I really like the feel of the camera - but the did not have a poersouce hookup to it for me to try.... I will head back there this weekend.. and look further.
The G6 - is a REAL Nice camera- too much 699.00

hopefully I can something soon..

Every one's advise here has helped..... thanks
Marc

jakubusa
09-07-2004, 08:24 AM
http://www.techbargains.com/news_displayItem.cfm/34454

I have never had problems with BUY.COM, their prices are very good :)

ojo
09-08-2004, 08:52 AM
Thanks for all the help, went to best buy today -online it is 359
at the store it is 399... could not get help/.... but they had the a75/a85 and a95
in stock... they seemed like pretty nice camera's

The canon S1 IS - that I was going to buy - I don't think they had it. not really sure - could not get any help.. not suprising.

the A powershot camera's seem very similiar to my older S - powershot from Canon. like the S1 IS too.. I really like the feel of the camera - but the did not have a poersouce hookup to it for me to try.... I will head back there this weekend.. and look further.
The G6 - is a REAL Nice camera- too much 699.00

hopefully I can something soon..

Every one's advise here has helped..... thanks
Marc

do NOT go to best buy. instead, go to any RITZ camera store. you'll pay $399 for the camera and also qualify for $300 worth of free goodies, like prints, paper, discounts on gear, and also you'll get free passes to attend several of their photography classes.

roxbury29
09-08-2004, 06:05 PM
hello, thanks for the info. I have seem it at butterfly for 314 - approx and a few places for around 324-350....

Unfortunatly for me, I don't really care for bestbuy, but i have some gift cards I need to use. I just hate the warranty pressure..
I think its 60 for 3yrs.

tc17
09-14-2004, 10:56 PM
hello, thanks for the info. I have seem it at butterfly for 314 - approx and a few places for around 324-350....

Unfortunatly for me, I don't really care for bestbuy, but i have some gift cards I need to use. I just hate the warranty pressure..
I think its 60 for 3yrs.
Remember also that Best Buy has a pricematch guarantee in case you see it cheaper somewhere else locally.

I purchased my camera with my American Express Blue card, which supposedly extends the manufacturers warranty by another year. But not sure how realiable that is.

Actually with my American Express Blue card I also have 90 days to return it to American Express if the store won't take it back(but only up to $300 in value).

roxbury29
09-16-2004, 06:42 PM
hello,
I have been facinated with all the reviews on this camera and love it
have not purchased it yet...

just seem a review on the nikon 4800 --- any thoughts on comparing the two ????

NeoteriX
09-16-2004, 07:23 PM
:lol:

Just quickly looked at it... the 4800 is a joke compared to the S1. There is no aperture priority, shutter priority, or manual mode. You can just change the exposure setting and a handful of glitzy scene modes. It is strictly a point and shoot camera.

The S1 on the other hand has serious manual features that will help a newcomer to photography understand the basics of aperture size, shutter speed, exposure, etc. And you can always switch it to Auto for point and shoot capability.

If you're looking for an alternative to the S1, cuz it's not a "perfect" camera by any means, the Panasonic FZ3 is supposed to be pretty darn nice with a nice as heck lens, sharper images than the S1, an image stabilizer, 12x zoom, and a lot of fun features. The things it lacks compared to the S1: doesn't use AAs, no Custom mode, no manual focus (so no hyperfocal setting), a smaller CCD, and it uses slightly more expensive SD cards.

roxbury29
09-20-2004, 06:04 PM
Hello,
I have a question..will prety much any memory CF card work
do i need 4x 12x or faster
will a 512 be suffice for a while ???

some video i'm sure i will want to take ... mostly pictures..

any info helps..
also - any recharg batteries.. have seen 1600 to 2300 mAh

thanks

lowkl
09-20-2004, 07:23 PM
You can check this most valuable chart, posted on dpreview's forum:

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1010&message=9661164

Whatever you do, *don't* get the Kingston!! (personal experience - no video longer than 50-odd seconds)

roxbury29
10-17-2004, 02:05 PM
just a few more ?'s

Do you need a warranty - or is this camera tough enough for a few years ???

also, the firmware upgrade is that needed if you purchase it know
or does it depend on when it was made ???

or just go to the website on canon after purchase and upgrade anyway ??

I went to go buy it locally and the 2 stores we out of stock last week..

Some many camera choices, until you want more than 3x opt zoom

the new olympus 7000 looks nice like the G6, but would rather not spend more than 350-ish

NeoteriX
10-17-2004, 03:42 PM
Canon offers a 1 year warranty, and I bought it with my Visa card and registered it for a free additional one year warranty.

If you buy an S1 now, it will most likely have the newest firmware -- mine did and I bought mine over a month ago. In any case, you can check which firmware you have by looking at the EXIF information in your pictures.

roxbury29
10-24-2004, 06:59 PM
is this standard for all camera's now

the past 3 camera's i have had - only one had it
the kodak
The two older canon powershot's i have purchased
years ago did not have that feature
???

simple feature, but needed

Rhys
10-25-2004, 01:10 AM
is this standard for all camera's now

the past 3 camera's i have had - only one had it
the kodak
The two older canon powershot's i have purchased
years ago did not have that feature
???

simple feature, but needed

The picture file has a time/date. If you really need something scrawled over the photo, ruining the photo then do it with your favourite photo editing program.

roxbury29
10-29-2004, 06:22 PM
hi,
just got it , only taken a few pics..
would you believe i had to exchange it.
Noticed a small red dot on all pics..

it was on the screen and in the photos..

The store exchanged it no problem

havent messed much w/ the camera--
lot of features...

So far even auto -- pictures look great !!!
zoom is awesome

thanks again everyone