PDA

View Full Version : Need help in making a decision

Pedro
05-04-2005, 09:29 AM
Hi.

After checking some articles and after reading some reviews and posts I finally decided to go to a DSLR (instead of a Ultrazoom camera).

I have some doubts, hope you can help me make up my mind.

Possibilities:

1. Canon 350D / Rebel XT
What lense to buy? I was thinking on the Sigma 18-200 F/3.5-6.3 DC. Is this lense any good?

2. Canon 300D / Rebel
Should i consider this one and use the firmware upgrade to enable the "missing" features?
Reviews say that the 300D doesn't loose a lot to the 350D in terms of photo quality. Maybe I can find myself a good deal.

3. Nikon D50
I haven't really find any reviews, so here my question is: any further information that I can read about this one?
What is your opinion?

Of the 3 which would you prefer?

Thanks a lot for the support. :)

Pedro

jwhite
05-04-2005, 10:25 AM
I found a brand new cheap ~$800 or so Canon 10D on ebay through a Camera retailer out in California. I know a lot of places are trying to get rid of their 10D's because of the release of the 20D's. You might be able to find a new one online or through ebay. I like it because it is similar to the 20D and the new features of the 20D I don't necessarily need.

TheObiJuan
05-04-2005, 02:45 PM
If you can stand the size of the 350D then get it. The 10D is a great camera with solid build, like the 20D, but the 350D towers over it in respect to the image quality and ISO performance. The 350D turns on instantly, color rendition is amazing, and the CF speed is just incredible for what it costs.

However, if you don't care for the size, then the 10D can be had at Fry's for around 780 or so new. You have to go into the store, not online.

the 350D and 300D have very similar images in ideal situations, but when things get tough, then that is where the 350D shines. The 350D with it's instant on feature is great. If your camera goes into stand by, just hit the shutter and boom, you are ready to snap away. The 300D doesnt, it takes a second and a half, this could yield missed shots. Same goes for the CF performance in one shot. Just plain slow. The hack will help waken up the 300D but it still isn't a 350D with 6MP.

Pedro
05-05-2005, 03:25 AM
Hi.
Many thanks for the tips.

I've looked at the *ist DS and although it's a bit less expensive it looks like all reviews rate this machine a bit lower in terms of JPEG image quality. Is this so?

Thanks.

Pedro

Rex914
05-05-2005, 04:57 PM
Don't take the e-bay risk. Go for the sure thing. Fry's (in store only) is selling off its entire stock of 10D's for $799.

aparmley
05-05-2005, 07:48 PM
Thanks George, thats kinda what I was thinking... I think the nearest one to me is in chicago, 5 hours north... Not quite worth the drive to see if I like the camera... at 400 bucks... I would consider driving up there to buy the 10D. for 4 hundred dollars I would find reasons to really like that camera...LOL. It produces great images.

jeisner
05-05-2005, 07:55 PM
Hi.
Many thanks for the tips.

I've looked at the *ist DS and although it's a bit less expensive it looks like all reviews rate this machine a bit lower in terms of JPEG image quality. Is this so?

Thanks.

Pedro

Only one review I have seen rates it lower, being DPreview... But yes when using P&S mode (bright mode) and when taking photos of resolution charts and viewing images at 100% or greater you may see that the jpegs do not have quiet as much detail as the competition, or the DS itself if you shoot in RAW... When shooting in RAW it is on par with the D70 and the 300d...

When shooting JPEG the difference IMO is so minor it is not funny, especially if you turn one default option off, that being bright mode, as the high saturation it applies eats away detail... However if you want to shoot in JPEG mode with bright mode enabled and print out a lot of posters then I would say stay away from it... If you don't print poster sized images or don't mind changing the in-camera colour setting to 'natural' mode, or even better shooting in RAW one of the great advantges of DSLRs in my opinion, then its a non-issue...