PDA

View Full Version : Time slows to a standstill...

TheObiJuan
05-03-2005, 10:33 PM
I mailed out my 350D today and should recieve the 20D that I traded it for on thursday. I feel naked without my 350D. :(

I went out and shot with my sony p150 and gave up after 5 shots. :D
What to do in the downtime? It seems like forever.
I count the minutes until my 20D comes...

As some or most know a paintball missed my camera's body by about an inch. It left a nasty welt on my shoulder, but probably would have cracked my camera's body. The metal body would tolerate a hit or two. Since I shoot there every weekend, I need the assurance that my camera can take a beating.

I could use the 5 fps and better AF. ISO 3200 out of camera is great, as is the bigger size. I was going to spend the 150 for a grip on the 350D because it felt unbalanced with a large lens. The 20D however, does not require a grip. So for just a little extra I upgraded to the 20D and didn't have to bother with a grip. The battery life will also be better.

Another thing, my RC4 quick release plate is bigger than the 350D and sticks out a bunch, the 20D's size will help conceal this too.

The good thing is that by shooting out there I generate income to exclusively fund my photography habbit. Yes, it is a habbit. I spend more money a month than a heroine addict. :o

jamison55
05-04-2005, 03:33 AM
Yes, it is a habbit. I spend more money a month than a heroine addict. :o

The first step to recovery is to admit you have a ...habit :p

Bluedog
05-04-2005, 04:52 AM
Obijuan I wanna know where you did this return purchase? You've had the 350D/XT for over a month now and didn't you accidentally drop it once?

I agree on digging up my old dead 35mm SLR habit. Thought I'd never see the day I got back into buying new camera stuff. Funny thing is I bought the Canon A95 without ever looking at DSLR's and upon a return trip to the store made the mistake of demoing the D70. Boy was I hooked ... :rolleyes:

Anyway the A95 is in my bag too.

Thalas'shaya
05-04-2005, 07:00 AM
recovery is for quitters. ;)

24Peter
05-04-2005, 07:27 AM
With such a high-risk endeavor (i.e., shooting paintball matches) sounds like maybe you should have kept the 350D as a back up. The most dangerous stuff I photograph are the sparrows in the bird bath. :(

http://imageevent.com/24peter/birdbathpartdeux

(Actually I did do some portraits of my mom not long ago... :eek: )

Anyway, I, too, am seeking to find a way to fund my photography habit. Seems like there's always another lens to buy and so on...

I did register my domain name. Now I just have build a site. Oh, and then find some clients. :) To bad the birds don't pay... :rolleyes:

TheObiJuan
05-04-2005, 08:31 AM
Obijuan I wanna know where you did this return purchase? You've had the 350D/XT for over a month now and didn't you accidentally drop it once?

I agree on digging up my old dead 35mm SLR habit. Thought I'd never see the day I got back into buying new camera stuff. Funny thing is I bought the Canon A95 without ever looking at DSLR's and upon a return trip to the store made the mistake of demoing the D70. Boy was I hooked ... :rolleyes:

Anyway the A95 is in my bag too.

I found someone to trade on Fredmiranda. I trade the camera body and everything that came with it plus 350 dollars and I get a very mint 20D with less than 1500 clicks on it!
I did drop it but there was no physical marks, no side effects, or problems. the flash remains functional, although I never use it because I have the speedlight, the shutter still worked flawlessly for another 1000 clicks, and makes the same cool sound. I dunno, if I wanted a 20D last month I would have had to pay 1500 dollars, now with the price drop AND the rebate, it goes for 1250. That is about what I am paying, and not having to bother with the rebate mess, selling my camera, and purchasing a new one.

Bluedog
05-04-2005, 09:15 AM
I found someone to trade on Fredmiranda. I trade the camera body and everything that came with it plus 350 dollars and I get a very mint 20D with less than 1500 clicks on it!

Thanks, I'll have to keep that in mind. They have a buy, sale and trade forum?

TheObiJuan
05-04-2005, 10:31 AM
Hahaha! LOL,
Of coarse they do. I seriously live there. I just got a 17-35 f/2.8 for 300!
That is super cheap since they are going for 460 new.

nate
05-04-2005, 01:07 PM
I would be more concerned about the lenses than the camera body. Could the glass withstand a paintball hit?

TheObiJuan
05-04-2005, 01:41 PM
I did a test on a spare filter, I have many, and found that at 10 feet, the ball doesn't penetrate the filter. At 5 feet it just cracked it.

All my lenses have fitlers btw. When I shoot I use the cheap 70-300 canon. If it gets toasted, oh well. When I am not shooting, I point the camera down and cover it with my body too.

Savannah
05-04-2005, 02:56 PM
I mailed out my 350D today and should recieve the 20D that I traded it for on thursday. I feel naked without my 350D. :(
The good thing is that by shooting out there I generate income to exclusively fund my photography habbit. Yes, it is a habbit. I spend more money a month than a heroine addict. :o

You have my deepest sympathies until your 20D arrives, (........then I will be green with envy) J/k
I'm sure you are going to enjoy it and we will see TheObiJuan perpetual paintball gallery opening soon!!
BTW.......a horse tried to eat my well used and abused 70-300mm lens today... who would have thought that could happen. Other than the black casing having huge teeth marks and dents in it (and being discustingly dirty,) it might be okay. I'm so glad it wasn't on my Rebel XT!!

TheObiJuan
05-04-2005, 03:23 PM
Hehe, as long as the optics are fine, then no problem. ;)
Your lens now has character! I wish one of my lenses was attacked by a large mammal! I want a bear to claw my upcoming sigma 70-200 f/2.8. This would be a good crowd pleaser.

aparmley
05-04-2005, 04:00 PM
Two days into the waiting game...
350D + Canon 50mm 1.8 on their way from B&H... looking like a friday delivery... tick...tock...tick...tock... Life is never quite as boring as it is when you have a new camera on order...
I have two weddings to play around with this and next weekend so it would be nice to get it before the first one so I can make adjustments and plan better for the second one.

TheObiJuan
05-04-2005, 04:06 PM
hehe, I purchased the exact same setup back in march. I was so excited while I waited for it, but having owned a dslr and shooting with it all the time, this is worse. I am without an extension of my body.

TheObiJuan
05-04-2005, 06:23 PM
DOH!
"We attempted to deliver your item at 3:45 pm on May 04, 2005 in COLLEGE STATION, TX 77845 and a notice was left. It can be redelivered or picked up at the Post Office. "

aparmley
05-04-2005, 07:12 PM
Oh man that sucks... I hate that.. the last time I had a delivery it was an LCD monitor and I waited all day for it and I had to take a shower so I did.. I thought I heard something so I jumped out of the shower grabbed a towel ran to the front door and there was fedex van backing out of my drive way... [Run after him I said to myself... then I had a mental picture of the towel flying off] Damn... I watched him drive away until he turned the corner... :(

You ordered the exact same set up, how did you like it? How was the lens combined with the XT??

TheObiJuan
05-04-2005, 07:37 PM
It worked wonders. It was my only lens until I purchased the 135 f/2.8. Then I finally got a 20D kit lens and was astonished at how wide 18mm really is!
Too wide actually for normal use. I am more of the telephoto persuasion! :p
Don't use the lens at f/1.8 unless you have to, it is soft. At f/2.5 it becomes more useable, at f/4 it is very sharp.

aparmley
05-04-2005, 08:04 PM
Wow, ok thanks for the advice Juan, I will have to play around with it and see that, I was under the assumption that a fast lens equates to sharp pictures because it allows the camera to focus correctly. It will be interesting to see.

TheObiJuan
05-05-2005, 10:40 AM
I just got 3 boxes from USPS today.
The camera, my spare 20D battery, and the Domke F2 bag.
Whoop!
Everything on the 20D is heavier! The battery, battery charger, the strap even!
If canon were to move the buttons over to the edge, where the 350D has them, they could easily fit a 2.0" screen, And if they were to move the on/off and delete button to where the 350D has it, they could include a 2.5" screen. Now wouldn't that be somethin'.

aparmley
05-05-2005, 11:50 AM
Christmas in May! What marvelous idea. I hope Santa comes tomorrow! Glad you got the 20D Juan... Its nice when anticipation turns to hands on activity.

jamison55
05-05-2005, 01:04 PM
Everything on the 20D is heavier! The battery, battery charger, the strap even!

Yep, after carting my 20D around various family activities all weekend (with the 80-200L attached), I picked up my DReb w/50 f1.8 today, and was amazed at how nice and light it felt...