PDA

View Full Version : best lenses with the *ist DS

Rhys
05-03-2005, 12:28 PM
What are the best lenses to use with the *ist DS?

I know my wedding photographer had a *ist D and used some non-Pentax lenses. Oddly enough, she used MF 90% of the time.

jeisner
05-03-2005, 03:04 PM
I have a number of MF lenses myself ;-)

So what type of lens are you looking for?

For a standard 50mm the best value for money would be a 50/1.7 or 50/1.4, these are somewhat legendary in quality... The best choice of these would be the Pentax-A series, they are manual focus but are common on the second hand market, very well built and very good value for money... If you wanted auto focus you could get a F or FA series....

As for quality zoom lenses the Sigma 70-200/2.8 is highy regarded and very common, I think it is so common as the Pentax equivelent although outstanding is in the Canon L series price range and not everyone wants to spend that much...

There is plenty more good quality second hand glass from both AF and MF and Pentax/3rd Party. What type of lenses are you after and I will happily let you know of the options aailabe to you...

Rhys
05-03-2005, 05:28 PM
Basically, best optical quality (think Leica) and fast apertures.

I'm not so keen on long zoom ranges. 50mm would probably be the best portrait lens for the *ist DS, I think.

jeisner
05-03-2005, 06:26 PM
Ahh Lieca glass, EASY you want the limited series.... 31mm 43mm 77mm strange focal lengths I know, all f1.9 There are some other standouts from the manual days, but in the AF world these are the Pentax version of Leica glass... Also some other AF standouts that are out of production (so get second hand) include "FA 85mm f/1.4", "FA 24mm f/2" and the "FA 50mm f1.4"...

One day I want to grab the 77 Limited, but I have other priorities first. The 77 is definately the standard of these three, the best of the best....

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/columns/sm-02-05-02.shtml

An article on the DS by the same author...

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/columns/sm-jan-05.shtml

Rhys
05-05-2005, 03:14 PM
Hmm... The wedding photos came back. The photographer had 300 photos for us to look at. Some were good. The rest were poorly composed - she was an OK photographer for a studio but not so great in a live environment.

I noticed one major problem with her photos - the white balance seemed to be way off in most of them. Is this a common *ist D problem?

jeisner
05-05-2005, 03:49 PM
The rest were poorly composed - she was an OK photographer for a studio but not so great in a live environment.

:( sorry to here that!!!

I noticed one major problem with her photos - the white balance seemed to be way off in most of them. Is this a common *ist D problem?

No, sounds like a bad photographer problem... Sorry that sounds harsh, but first off if I was charging someone for photos, they would all be taken in RAW... In which case there is no excuse for the White Balance to be off....

speaklightly
05-11-2005, 08:03 PM
Jeisner-

Please give me an excellent lens choice for the Pentax 1stDS that goes out to around 200mm??

Sarah Joyce

jeisner
05-12-2005, 06:26 AM
Hi Sarah, sent to you via PM