PDA

View Full Version : how good is the anti-shake really?

ugotlobbed
05-03-2005, 11:55 AM
on the panasonic lumix models ....and other anti-shake picture fixer cameras offer.............how good is it.....is it a dramatic difference....or just a very minor difference....thanks in advance

D70FAN
05-03-2005, 12:03 PM
on the panasonic lumix models ....and other anti-shake picture fixer cameras offer.............how good is it.....is it a dramatic difference....or just a very minor difference....thanks in advance

Shooting at 200mm and above there is a dramatic increase in good shots to bad ratio. It's not a panacea, but can make the difference between a clear recognizable object and not. Even at lower focal lengths in low light.

emalvick
05-03-2005, 12:05 PM
I have a lumix FZ15 by Panasonic. The antishake will not work miracles perse. What it does is give you a performance boost when it comes to taking photos that are on that border of needing a tripod and not.

When at the widest zoom (1X on the camera), the IS has allowed me to take shots at 1/10 of a second without a tripod without any noticeable shake effects in the shot. Before, I was lucky if I could get a 1/30 shot off without degradation.

However, I think the biggest benefit (and others may give more solid details) is in zoom shots. Zoomed shots tend to enhance the shake of your hands, etc. The IS helps make these shots clearer. It makes the cameras with IS stand way above the other super-zoom cameras.

-Erik

Rhys
05-03-2005, 12:16 PM
I have a Canon S1 IS. I love the IS function. I did a comparison shot with and without and yes. There is a big difference.

John_Reed
05-03-2005, 03:05 PM
http://john-reed.smugmug.com/photos/15304330-L.jpg
I got these numbers by just shooting my FZ15 to see where the "jitter indicator" comes on at various shutter speeds, various modes of OIS (Optical Image Stabilization). The conventional rule of thumb is that you shouldn't be handholding any shots at a shutter speed slower than 1/focal length, which is 420mm maximum for the FZ15. The jitter indicator gives an idea of when you should start looking for a tripod or other stabilizer. As you can see from the table, Panasonic sets it to come on about 2 f-stops slower than the conventional norm. In practice, people have done ~ 2 f-stops better than this table, and so many people, myself included, take the "jitter indicator" with a grain of salt. In fact, I can fairly consistently get a sharp shot at full optical zoom down to 1/10 of a second, and others can do even better than that.

behr655
05-03-2005, 04:18 PM
Here is a shot at 12x zoom, hand held, using my FZ20. I'm impressed with IS.

Bear

http://behr655.smugmug.com/photos/21103098-S.jpg

Geoff Chandler
05-07-2005, 03:23 PM
I have a pic - I decided NOT to post as the important fine detail is lost in resizing - I think it's on my photo site - its the Plaza in Las Vegas taken at night 142mm zoom and 1/30th sec with Anti Shake - it's very good! I like Anti shake or Image stabilisation.

output123
12-12-2005, 01:27 PM
casio EX-Z110 also claim anti-shake but sound like it is not the same as panasonic, is there anyone try them yet and what do you find. I want to find a camera that is around $250 with this feature but the respond time better than 0.5 sec. any suggestion.
Thanks.

Phill D
12-17-2005, 03:53 AM
A couple of egs from an FZ20 taken at the Royal Armoury museum in Leeds first at 1/6s looking up generally wobbly pose but gave a sharp image with IS.

Phill D
12-17-2005, 03:56 AM
And here is the same shot at 1/4s same wobbly pose looking up. This illustrates the limits of the anti shake in this situation. I thought 1/6s wasn't bad as an approximate limit.

BonjiB
12-18-2005, 05:11 PM
The IS on my fz30 is STILL amazing to me. It's not so much the far end zooming that amazes me more so than the slow shutter speed handheld shots. I mean, i've handheld 1/2 second exposure shots that were crisp. Also, i took a picture of a helicopter at full zoom out the window of my car while driving down the highway and i could read the "eyewitness news" logo on the side of it on a cloudy day, very crisp shot believe it or not. So yeah, the IS works well on the lumix line (fz30 especially.)