PDA

View Full Version : Need help with rolling shots

DFW
05-02-2005, 09:26 PM
I need help on takeing rolling shots of an object, in this case a car. Here's an example of what I'm trying to get at....

http://img167.echo.cx/img167/2905/img41978zt.jpg

http://img167.echo.cx/img167/3391/img41985pm.jpg

ReF
05-02-2005, 11:11 PM
those look like they were taken from a car driving next to the one in the shot. see how the ground is blurred while the trees are much less blurred? you see the same thing take a shot from the window of a car with a slow enough shutter speed - the forground is blurred while far away objects are much less prone.

TheObiJuan
05-02-2005, 11:30 PM
shoot at around 1/125 or so and focus on the car while panning. Use a tripod if need be. I also would recommend only having the driver go 15mph. Anymore is not needed.

DFW
05-03-2005, 05:15 PM
those look like they were taken from a car driving next to the one in the shot. see how the ground is blurred while the trees are much less blurred? you see the same thing take a shot from the window of a car with a slow enough shutter speed - the forground is blurred while far away objects are much less prone.

Yeah I know that :p Was just wondering what settings to shoot in.

shoot at around 1/125 or so and focus on the car while panning. Use a tripod if need be. I also would recommend only having the driver go 15mph. Anymore is not needed.

Would I need to change the f-stop more/less if it's over 15mph? But thanks for the help, I'll try to get some this weekend

sarcazmo
05-03-2005, 10:58 PM
You might have to change the F-stop to have a correct exposure. Remember also, it depends on how much DOF you want.

aparmley
05-10-2005, 04:06 PM
Use more flash!

LOL kidding...

What type of picture are you wanting, meaning how does these photos differ from what you were envisioning??

I personally like the photos you have...

Are you wanting more blur in the surrounding environment, less blur in the surrounding environment, perhaps you would like more blur on the car itself, ... what are you looking for? answer that, then maybe these guys can help you out more...

DFW
05-11-2005, 07:52 PM
Oh I was wanting to know how to go about takeing a picture like that. Sorry I didn't really make it as clear.http://www.dcresource.com/forums/images/icons/icon14.gif

aparmley
05-12-2005, 04:18 PM
Oh I gotcha. I thought those were the pictures you had taken and were wanting advice on how to improve... But those are pictures that you have found that you would like to create yourself... I see...

emalvick
05-13-2005, 08:58 AM
DFW, Post your results of your experiments in getting that type of shot. I have a Panasonic FZ15, that actually has a setting for taking such shots, but I haven't had luck.

I truly think one would have to have a tripod to pan with the car smoothly. (I haven't tried that though).

By the way, do you know who took that shot? is that an ad? I am guessing that if that is out of a magazine or car ad that a bit of digital magic got the shot looking like it does.

Erik

DFW
05-14-2005, 01:32 PM
DFW, Post your results of your experiments in getting that type of shot. I have a Panasonic FZ15, that actually has a setting for taking such shots, but I haven't had luck.

I truly think one would have to have a tripod to pan with the car smoothly. (I haven't tried that though).

By the way, do you know who took that shot? is that an ad? I am guessing that if that is out of a magazine or car ad that a bit of digital magic got the shot looking like it does.

Erik

It's not out of a magazine. I think the camera used was a 300D. But haven't had time lately to get any shots :(