PDA

View Full Version : Just bought the FZ20

sooty
08-31-2004, 01:51 AM
Hi all,
my hubby just bought me the FZ10 for my birthday, as it had been my dream camera for quite a while.
My problem is that I would have to be one of the worst photo takers in history...it took me about 3yrs before I had figured out the last camera to take photo's that I was happy with.(and that was a pretty basic advantix)
Is there anywhere that can give basic lessons on this camera specifically?
I know absoultely nothing, and phrases like appeture speed are beyond me.
I really want to get the best that I can from this camera.

Thanks

judge9847
08-31-2004, 06:25 AM
Hi Sooty and congratulations on getting your Panasonic!!

However ... your thread title says you just bought the FZ20 but your post says it's the FZ10!! I guess it's the excitement of birthdays etc., and getting such a prezzie, but it would help to know which one it is ;)

Could you let us know and then maybe we can get you going with it. And it would help to know what you'll most likely be using your camera for so that we can give you specific suggestions. :)

John_Reed
08-31-2004, 07:52 AM
Hi all,
my hubby just bought me the FZ10 for my birthday, as it had been my dream camera for quite a while.
My problem is that I would have to be one of the worst photo takers in history...it took me about 3yrs before I had figured out the last camera to take photo's that I was happy with.(and that was a pretty basic advantix)
Is there anywhere that can give basic lessons on this camera specifically?
I know absoultely nothing, and phrases like appeture speed are beyond me.
I really want to get the best that I can from this camera.

ThanksAs Bob said, your thread is misleading, but not to worry. You've got a fine camera there, and it's pretty easy to use in the P mode, just "point and shoot," if you like. But if you want to learn more about what you're doing, I'd suggest checking out one of Dennis Curtin's (http://www.shortcourses.com/) on-line courses for photography beginners like yourself. There is a lot to learn about if you're interested, but you can certainly enjoy photography as you're learning!

sooty
08-31-2004, 03:28 PM
Yep.
Sorry guys, It's the FZ10, I'd been reading about the 20 on here, and I'd typed it in and then later realised my mistake.

well, I have four children (aged 3-9), so I take a LOT of photo's to do with them and their various activities. My daughter does gymnastics, so some hints on taking some good shots indoors, from a distance, without a flash would be great, as she has a comp coming up and I'm definately going to need to practise.

I do a huge amount of scrapbooking, and amoungst other stuff I really enjoy putting together kalidescope pictures, so very clear images are used for this.

My husband has a motorbike which he ocassionally takes out for track days, so I'm hoping to get some good shots of him on the bike. (I tried once on our last camera, and the bst I could get was him the size of a small button)

I also have a ridicilious amount of animals which I really enjoy photographing, but unfortunately they don't sit still, and most of the practise shots that I've taken since I've gotten the new camera are blurred because of this..

Of the photo's I've taken on the camera, I would have to say that 60% are ok, and of those maybe 5% I'm incredably impressed with.........so I know that I can do it, It's just a matter of learning how.

I have some basic beginning questions, if it's not to much trouble

- for average every day photo's, what is the best picture size and quality settings to have it on

- I took some photo's of the kid's at the park, and one came out with way too much light.....how can I try to stop this from happening

- I only have the SD memory card (16 MB) that came with the camera, so what should I get that will provide me with the ability to hold more shots

- Now that I have a digital camera I'm really excited at the prospect of trying some photo manipulation on the computer, I want something that's very easy to use, with the ability to do lots :D

once again, thanks