PDA

View Full Version : B&W

EWins
05-02-2005, 06:00 AM
When you want black and white pictures, do you shoot the original in B&W or do you shoot in color and convert to B&W in color?

I'd think that shooting in color would give you more options for editing but I'm not sure which one will give you the best quality B&W result.

Norm in Fujino
05-02-2005, 06:51 AM
ALWAYS shoot in color, and convert to B/W afterwards. If shooting in Raw, you can convert the RAW image to TIFF or JPEG either in color or b/w, depending on your purposes. If there's any thought at all that you might some day want a color version, convert to TIFF/JPEG in color, and then do the fnal B/W conversion in PS or PSP, etc. --That's the way I'd do it. Face it, the instant you press the shutter you don't know what kind of photo is going to result. If you cripple yourself by setting the camera for B/W, you can't go back, even if you find later that it would've made a perfect color shot..

You can always convert a color shot to B/W, but you can't convert a B/W shot back to color!

SamuraiJack
05-02-2005, 08:21 AM
I agree with Norm. Its way easier to convert to black and white later rather than add color later. Shoot in color mode then change to black and white.

Wes

EWins
05-02-2005, 09:13 AM
Thanks, guys. That's pretty much what I was thinking but I wanted to find out what others thought. It makes sense.