PDA

View Full Version : Newbie with questions for Air Show

Jonathan
05-02-2005, 05:10 AM
Hi everyone. I have been reading many posts around the forum but am newly registered. I've had a Nikon D70 (w/kit lens) for about 2 wks now, and have been experimenting with it a lot. However, I haven't had much chance to play with the action mode. This weekend, I'm going to the local air show, and would like to take some good pictures. I will probably just use the sports mode on the camera, but I am unsure what ISO speed to use.

Any tips and suggestions for decent pics at this show? Thanks!

pyrohavoc
05-02-2005, 09:39 AM
if you're shooting in sports mode i believe the camera selects everything for you ... ;)

nate
05-02-2005, 12:19 PM
In daylight, I don't see any reason for shooting higher ISO than you need to. I think the lowest on the D70 is ISO 200, so I'd use that.

Jonathan
05-02-2005, 06:34 PM
My last attempt at using sports mode was at an indoor BMX show at the local convention center. I was unable to freeze any action using ISO 200, which was defaulted by the sports mode. I experimented with it and found the best results at 500 I think. Will a similar speed be too much for outside?

Mr. Peabody
05-02-2005, 08:59 PM
Indoor sports action is totally different than outdoor action.

Last year I saw the Blue Angels flying during an air show in OKC. I stopped my SUV on the top of a bridge on the highway and snapped some shots of them flying overhead. I had my 20D and a 75-300mm Canon zoom lense. I had my camera set on the sports mode. The pics turned out great.

nate
05-03-2005, 08:40 PM
My last attempt at using sports mode was at an indoor BMX show at the local convention center. I was unable to freeze any action using ISO 200, which was defaulted by the sports mode. I experimented with it and found the best results at 500 I think. Will a similar speed be too much for outside?

Wait... I think we're talking about two different things.

ISO refers to "film" sensitivity to light. Crank it up when there is low available light (indoors) to let the sensor "absorb" light faster, allowing the faster shutter speeds that will freeze action. Available ISO values are 100, 200, 400, 800, 1600...

If you set something to 500, that must have been the shutter speed... as in 1/500 second. If you're shooting in daylight, you should be able to use 1/500 or 1/1000, which should be fast enough to freeze action.

In summary: use a low (slow) ISO outdoors, such as 200, since there is no shortage of light. Then try to get a fast shutter speed to freeze the action, such as 1/500 or 1/1000.

Jonathan
05-04-2005, 04:34 AM
Here is the Data from one of the better frozen pics in the series:

Nikon D70
2005/04/16 15:47:08.8
JPEG (8-bit) Fine
Image Size: Large (2000 x 3008)
Lens: 18-70mm F/3.5-4.5 G
Focal Length: 34mm
Digital Vari-Program: Sports
Metering Mode: Multi-Pattern
1/100 sec - F/4.2
Exposure Comp.: 0 EV
Sensitivity: ISO 500
Optimize Image:
White Balance: Auto
AF Mode: AF-C
Flash Sync Mode: Not Attached
Color Mode: Mode Ia (sRGB)
Tone Comp: Auto
Hue Adjustment: 0
Saturation: Normal
Sharpening: Auto
Image Comment:
Noise Reduction: OFF

It sounds like I should have left the ISO alone, and bumped up the shutter speed. (Gee, that would explain that ruined roll of 800 spd film I shot on my old film SLR at a Nascar race :o ) The Default ISO when I started was

Time to dive back into the owner's manual! I started looking at the data for the blurry shots (Camera at full default in sports mode) The ISO for all pics was at 200, but the shutter speed seems really slow. 1/15.

A Quick check of the manual says I can't adjust shutter speed in Sports mode. I have to use one of the manual programs to access that.

nate
05-04-2005, 02:04 PM
So there is an ISO 500? Wow, you learn something new everyday. I guess that's what I get for never using a Nikon SLR. :)

But that's really bizarre that sports mode would set your shutter speed at 1/15. That must have been some pretty poor indoor lighting. In the future, if your camera is setting slow shutter speeds like that, then that is the time to bump up your ISO. But you shouldn't have to do that outdoors.

Jonathan
05-08-2005, 05:51 AM
Air Show was decent, pics were pretty cool, but the Dig SLR was great. I have been going to this air show every two years for the past six, always with a point and shoot. The picture differences are amazing.

After some review in the owner's manual, I selected ISO Auto, and used the sports mode.

Now if I can just figure out how to properly size some of the images, and where to post them ;)