View Full Version : Abe's Of Maine in Brooklyn, NY

05-01-2005, 06:55 PM
Anybody deal with them and have any input? Noticed they have a 30 day return policy of photo equipment as compared to most others have a 14 day policy.

Abe's Of Maine (http://www.abesofmaine.com/about.asp)

05-01-2005, 07:47 PM
I have heard of people speak good things about it but a quick look at resellerratings.com shows it could be hit or miss???

05-01-2005, 08:37 PM
I bought my SD500 from them several weeks ago. I had no problems and would have no reason to not buy from them again. I got the camera in less than a week after ordering it.

05-01-2005, 09:55 PM
Thanks guys ... is kinda hit and miss on their ratings.

05-01-2005, 10:48 PM
Neither good nor bad. You definitely won't get scammed as they have a real storefront, but don't expect to be blown away either. If it's a good price, go for it.

05-02-2005, 07:52 AM
I was going to order my fuji s5100 from abes. Did lots of research into them and like others said I found it may or may not be a mistake. I decided to suck it up, pay a bit more and go with someone I know and trust and know it will not be shipped unprotected in a larger box. ;) I chose Newegg and B&H is of course my second pick. Both highly reputable. Only reason I chose Newegg over B&H is the 7 days return of BH against the 30 days of Newegg.

05-16-2005, 02:17 PM
I have purchased all kinds of quipment from Abes of Maine.

Several years ago I bought a Pentax MX Body (film camera) from them. They did the usual push on accessories, which was ok. I was heading on vacation to mexico a month later and thought I might need a better autofocus zoom lens. I purchased that from them too. No problems and got a great deal.

I have not had to return anything to Abes but I have always got the items that I ordered in good time and in ideal condition.

:) Thomas ( cabozone )

06-08-2005, 10:03 AM
I bought my Coolpix from them - they are good, but price any accessories carefully. You can usually find those cheaper elsewhere.

06-11-2005, 07:28 AM
Both of our digital cameras (Nikon Coolpix 995 and Monica Minolta DiMage Xg) have been purchased from Abe's of Maine. Chose them because of the great prices they had on the cameras, plus the fact they've been in business since 1979 as a brick and mortar store (first in Maine, currently in Brooklyn since 1986 ). When I ordered the KM, it had a deal for a free 128MB SD Card. When I received the camera, the free card wasn't in the box. Called their Customer Service and sent them the email confirmations showing I should have received it and they sent one right out to me.
I would definitely buy from them again, but I'll still shop around looking for the best match between price and reliability.

06-14-2005, 09:41 PM
Based on the above comments, I went to check them out for a Powershot SD500. Price was $50< list, which was good, but UPS Ground shipping was... $22.50 ! Yes, really!

They may be reliable, but i'd rather them say the price up front then add a $23 shipping charge on a micro-digicam.