PDA

View Full Version : Canon's CF Read/Write Speeds ?

im_dragon
08-30-2004, 05:02 PM
Does anyone know how fast the Canon A-series cameras write to and read from the compact flash card, assuming that the CF card has no speed barrier?

I am surprise that Canon does not publish this important specification, and the camera reviewers don't test it :confused:

I am looking for the A95 data in exact KB/sec or MB/sec, but any other A-camera specs will do. Thx much.

Jeff Keller
08-30-2004, 05:13 PM
Does anyone know how fast the Canon A-series cameras write to and read from the compact flash card, assuming that the CF card has no speed barrier?

I am surprise that Canon does not publish this important specification, and the camera reviewers don't test it :confused:

I am looking for the A95 data in exact KB/sec or MB/sec, but any other A-camera specs will do. Thx much.

Don't quote me on this, but I believe it's 2MB/sec or so.

im_dragon
08-30-2004, 05:20 PM
Thank you, Jeff. Coming from you, it means a lot.

I'll contact Canon USA by phone and email tomorrow. If and when I have the theoretical max speeds, I'll report back here.

D70FAN
08-30-2004, 05:32 PM
Don't quote me on this, but I believe it's 2MB/sec or so.
I dunno Jeff. Even the 1Ds with an 80x Lexar card is barely over 2MB/s. My guess would be closer to 1MB/sec. Even with the low end, but very quick, version of the Digic chip.

While it does not address consumer all-in-ones Rob Galbraith offers a pretty neat, and surprising, test of this function on dSLR's.

http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/multi_page.asp?cid=6007

This may help explain the blazing continuous shooting speed of the D70 (and D2H). This is the big improvement in the 1Ds Mark II as well (almost as good as the D70). It's how you capture lightning.

im_dragon
08-31-2004, 09:16 AM
Here is the email response from Canon:

Dear Mr. xxxxx,

Thank you for contacting Canon product support.

Unfortunately, the write speed specifications for the PowerShot A95 are
not published specifications. I'm sorry.

Thank you for considering Canon.

Sincerely,

Angela
Product Support Representative

----------------------------------------

I also called, and was told the info was confidential, a trade secret :(

EDIT: Thanks George for the excellent CF database link. Here is another one I've just found on CF cards: http://www.dpreview.com/articles/mediacompare/

Ausin
09-01-2004, 02:26 AM
Hi,
I am after this as well (see my other thread about faster CFs, no replies yet).

From what I read in forums faster CFs don't improve A-series performance too much, so I assume they have a limited communication bandwidth with their CF memory (or most of their post photo delay is due to processing and not writing to memory ?).

A.

psyshack
11-27-2004, 07:34 AM
Hello

I to am after the same info for my A75 I bought this week. It came with a 32meg card and I would like to atleast get a 128 or 512 card. Ive been looking all over the net for this info and am coming up short. Was about to contact Canon like the user here did. But I can see Canon is still a butt head about things like they always have been. I have thought over this purchase for 3 months. Needing to replace my Oly D-100. the Canon seemed to be the next step with some man. functions to play with. I like to do gen. snaps and take pics of my tropical fish. Seemed to be the perfect cam. Ive had terrible luck with Canon in the past concerning there printers and multi function devices and in the old days there floppy drives and other media storage devices. Looks like there still a pain in the arse. Still dont know what speed cf to buy for it. If the answer dosent come soon.... Im taking it back. I can see the writing on the wall. I dont know why Canon acts like this but they seem to have a track record of doing so.

Here in Oklahoma disapointed I bought Canon already

psyshack aka Jeff Townsley

Hope Canon reads this the idiots :)

Alnath
11-27-2004, 09:36 AM
The cameras are not write accelerated and therefore do not benefit a great deal from fast compact flash cards.

psyshack
11-27-2004, 01:51 PM
Fast or not we need a number. Cannon ships some fast CF with the camera. Is it needed or not? This is just another bs move on Canons part to befuddle there cust. base. So I did abit of testing. It dosent answer the question but does show that Canon needs to pull there head out and tell us what we need.

CF and SM test done with a Lexar USB 2.0 Reader #RW018 Rev. D
Benched with SiSSoftware Sandra Standard Unicode (Win32 x86) 2004.10.9.133
AMD xp2500 @ 2.5ghz, Corsair 512meg DC ram 2-2-2-5, OS XP, MSI K7N2 Delta
All Camera media tested with camera formats,,, seen in XP as FAT
Impact/Lexar Pen Drive 128meg formated Fat in XP

Canon CF EC-32MH, Shiped with my A75

Sandra CF Bench
256kB Test
Read 6618 kB/s
Write 1701kB/s
2MB Test
Read 6758 kB/s
Write 1707kB/s

Sandra File Sys. Bench
27MB Test
Buffered Read 7MB/s
Buffered Write 2237kB/s

Olympus D-100 SM 32meg Lexar

Sandra CF Bench
256kB Test
Read 4151 kB/s
Write 482kB/s
2MB Test
Read 4198kB/s
Write 482kB/s

Sandra File Sys. Test
Buffered Read 4121kB/s
Buffered Write 1157kB/s

Impact/Lexar Pen Drive 128meg, USB Port on Motherboard used for test.

Sandra CF Bench
256kB Test
Read 930kb/s
Write 623kB/s
2MB Test
Read 956kB/s
Write 819kB/s
64MB Test
Read 1092kB/s
Write 819kB/s

Sandra File Sys. Test
12MB Test
Buffered Read 941kB/s
Buffered Write 793kB/s

So what do you do? Buy cheap-o 4x media and hope the camera dosent write faster than 4x max or can it rip it out at a place somewhere between 4x and 12x or better for that matter. The read speeds mean nothing IMO to the camera. But it is nice to have fast read speeds for transfer to your work station as seen in the SM and Pen Drive speeds with the tested Lexar card reader and USB ports on this machine which are typical of anything made in the last few years.

I guess one could now get out the stop watch and take a complex photo at the highest res. and quality setting and time the shot to end of prossesing and transfer and ready for next shot buy the cameras own actions and come up with a speed. Or take a low res shot and time it to remove as much prosessing time as possible from the messurement. :( Seems like alot of work to come close to proving something that Canon should publish.

I can see I will be doing more testing before I even get to the point of learning all the in's and out's of this camera. Or taking it back cause Canon is so full of themselves and there support is so bad it makes no sense to own one of there products. And invoiceing Canon for my time in getting a answer they should give. Not that they will pay... lolololol But its a good shot at using four letter words on them in writing after they refuse to pay. lololololol

psy aka Jeff Townsley

Alnath
11-27-2004, 05:58 PM
You camera cannot read or write at the speed you achived in the card reader, The fast cards are great if you use a USB2 card reader (as you have shown, or you have a write accelerated camera) but you do not have a cat in hells chance of getting anything like those speeds in the A or G whatever.

D70FAN
11-27-2004, 07:04 PM
Fast or not we need a number. Cannon ships some fast CF with the camera. Is it needed or not? This is just another bs move on Canons part to befuddle there cust. base. So I did abit of testing. It dosent answer the question but does show that Canon needs to pull there head out and tell us what we need.

psy aka Jeff Townsley

Come-on you guys. The Digic processor will transfer from buffer to flash at about 1.8MB per second. That means that if you buy a 12X card that's pretty much all you need... for the camera.

The Canon guys don't have a clue, so they'll tell you it's "confidential".

If you want fast downloads using a USB 2.0 High Speed reader then go for the fastest card you can buy (80X at this point). This will make no real difference on the camera. Only card reader download speed.

USB 2.0 High Speed is 480Mbps or 60MBs, or 400X (in flash memory terms). The fastest flash cards available are 80X. I hope this puts things in perspective.

There are no cameras including dSLRs that can actually use 80X (12MB/sec.)speed. The fastest seems to be the Canon 1Ds Mark II ($8000) which can transfer (buffer to flash) at 6.7 to 7.98MB/sec (JPEG/RAW).

I refer you once again to:

http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/multi_page.asp?cid=6007

Bon Foto.

psyshack
11-27-2004, 08:34 PM
Alnath

I understand that. So the question still remains is a 4x or 12x what is needed. I know a 40x or 60x would only be useful in transfering data from the card thru the reader to the machine. And why would Canon in there great wisdom ship what appears to be a soild 40x card with a camera that cant use it to its full ablity. It really dissapoints me that Canon is no help in this matter like they have been in the past with there printers, floppy and optical drives Ive had the misfortune to have to deal with.

Sure wish a driod from canon would pop in and put in there offical its not published crud.

laterz psy

psyshack
11-28-2004, 09:31 AM
I will just stick with what looks be 40x which shiped with the camera. And keep my eyes open for great deals at even faster speeds. The USB 2 card reader is great. Im not a big fan of USB. It gets misused alot IMO. I see it all the time. Folks go out and buy a farely fast HP, Compac, or one of the other off the shelf machines and then in a week or so start complaining its slow. Not that there fast anyway with cas 3 or 4 ram, very lax bios setting and still have all the joe six pack software running. But they will have everything in the sun hooked up usb and all running. Like a reader, keyboard, mouse, printer, fan and the list goes on and on. With 30 programs running in the background. I wanted to buy a internal reader when I started looking for a reader lastweek. Was about to break my own rule. A internal reader will be pluged in all the time and therefore will be stealing cpu cycles being used or not. Thats the USB way. So catching myself I bought a lexar external reader. Other than the desk clutter its a real gem.

I see this digital photo hobby fitting in well with the rest of my life style and hope to grow in it. I started years ago with one of those 1st point and shoot and get a grainy pic kodaks with a serial cable to transfer pics. Then bought a Oly D-100 and now have the Canon A75 with hopes of learning more on composeing a pic and learning the basics of the man. controls. Then on to a dslr in a couple of years. I hope :)

Thanks again for all your help. I never thought and I dont know if its true that a Canon support person cant answer the question,,, what speed cf for a given camera. but given the state of support in most companys today It is plusable.

Heres a link of a afew pics Ive butchered up with my new A75 and darn well need to get to useing it.

http://images.aaquaria.com/index.php?cat=10022

All pics in there where taken with the Oly D-100 ,, except the folder named new. It contains the 1st shots taken with the A75.

Thanks for all your help
psy