PDA

View Full Version : noob here with a quick question about lens

ugotlobbed
04-30-2005, 08:21 PM
i was wondering....there are those ultra-zoom models for digital cameras....

but can you buy add-on optical zoom lenses for every camera?
or just for certain ones?
around how much do they cost?

im looking for a compact camera with at least 6x opt zoom....any ideas for building one or what kind of parts i should buy?

Geoff Chandler
05-01-2005, 12:07 PM
Forget the add on lenses.
How small is ultra compact? - There are quite a few very good Ultra Zooms available now - I wouldn't describe them as Ultra Compact - but some are certainly compact.
My 1st suggestion for a compact would be an Olympus C-765UZ it's quite compact and is one of several variations on a them by Olympus.It has a 10x zoom and produces nice sharp pictures. Then there is the Panasonic FZ 5 - newly out. It all depends how much you want to spend and what other features you require - The Canon S1 is not so compact and is 3mp but very good. Boh of my cameras just about fit your criteria the C-740 is a variant that the C-765 is based on ~ The A-200 from minolta has a 7x zoom and is capeable of 8mp pictures, though it is slightly less compact as the lens sticks out at the front.
Check out prices and dimensions on the internet - I don't know what part of the globe you are living in so it is difficult to quote prices.
Good luck!