PDA

View Full Version : Picking and choosing

Jredtugboat
04-29-2005, 04:49 PM
Hey all, I was just down at J&R here in the city. I braved the crowds of tourists clogging up the counter--luckily they were mostly at the point & shoot counter--to get to the SLR corner downstairs.

I've been weighing the options between several dSLRs and (holding my breath) think I've arrived at the conclusion: the Canon EOS-20D.

I was initially worried about its size. George has said time and time again that the real test is what it feels like in your hands, and how you "get on" with it. I was worried that it was too small...which turned out to be not an issue at all! Although the D70 still felt niftier (in terms of weight and size, as well as the "Cadillac" status) the -20D felt just right, and, lo and behold, I liked its viewfinder better!

Yeah, who would have thunk it. I was reading all those reviews and never once stopped to consider the viewfinder! Duh, me.

I also liked the menu controls better, but that's no biggie; I'm just already used to Canon menus.

Now all I have to do is save up $1500. Or $2100, for the fancy lens. Should be no problem, right?

Rex914
04-29-2005, 04:51 PM
$1500? You can easily get the 20D for something in the $1100's no tax after rebate. You could easily walk home with the 20D and 2 nice lenses for under $2000.

D70FAN
04-29-2005, 04:58 PM
Hey all, I was just down at J&R here in the city. I braved the crowds of tourists clogging up the counter--luckily they were mostly at the point & shoot counter--to get to the SLR corner downstairs.

I've been weighing the options between several dSLRs and (holding my breath) think I've arrived at the conclusion: the Canon EOS-20D.

I was initially worried about its size. George has said time and time again that the real test is what it feels like in your hands, and how you "get on" with it. I was worried that it was too small...which turned out to be not an issue at all! Although the D70 still felt niftier (in terms of weight and size, as well as the "Cadillac" status) the -20D felt just right, and, lo and behold, I liked its viewfinder better!

Yeah, who would have thunk it. I was reading all those reviews and never once stopped to consider the viewfinder! Duh, me.

I also liked the menu controls better, but that's no biggie; I'm just already used to Canon menus.

Now all I have to do is save up $1500. Or $2100, for the fancy lens. Should be no problem, right?

The 20D is a good choice, and is the actual "Cadillac" in the consumer dSLR group. If you mate it to a decent day-to-day lens like the 18-200 from Sigma you should be good to go for under $1800. If you can get by with an 18-125 you can knock about $130 off of that total.

I'm not sure of which "fancy lens" you are talking about, but the consumer grade Canon 18-85 IS lens is about $400 as well.

Anyway... congrats!

Jredtugboat
04-29-2005, 05:01 PM
$1500? You can easily get the 20D for something in the $1100's no tax after rebate. You could easily walk home with the 20D and 2 nice lenses for under $2000.

Hi Rex,

Sorry, I was including some things without making 'em plain...

Like:

A small set of reflectors
A small backdrop kit (figure I'll build the frame out of PVC tubing)
A f1.8 50mm lens
That Sigma Lens that George and everyone else seems to like

That takes me up to (about) US$2,000.

Curious: what two nice lenses would you recommend?

Thanks!

Julian

Jredtugboat
04-29-2005, 05:04 PM
The 20D is a good choice, and is the actual "Cadillac" in the consumer dSLR group. If you mate it to a decent day-to-day lens like the 18-200 from Sigma you should be good to go for under $1800. If you can get by with an 18-125 you can knock about $130 off of that total.

I'm not sure of which "fancy lens" you are talking about, but the consumer grade Canon 18-85 IS lens is about $400 as well.

Anyway... congrats!

Thanks George.

I suppose you are right about the -20D's present status.

I suppose, like all things, it gets back to my childhood :)

When I was growing up, "Nikon" meant "the best" and I've always sort of drooled over them for that reason alone. Of course "the best" is a complicated thing to address, but, you know...

The faster flash sync of the D70 is still pretty nice, though. Darn, see, now I'm thinking! :)

Thanks again. BTW, any lens recommendations would be cool. I know you like those Sigmas, so I'll be sure to look at those.

Julian

Jredtugboat
04-29-2005, 05:12 PM

Hi Rex,

Sorry for the double reply, but...where do you see -20Ds for $1100? Adorama, Ritz, B&H all list body + kit lens for more. Just curious--and, have you ever done business with the outfits you've seen that price at?

Following a cue from George, I'm never going to buy a non-US warranty on a camera...so that has to be factored in as well.

Julian

Rex914
04-29-2005, 07:03 PM
Hi Rex,

Sorry for the double reply, but...where do you see -20Ds for $1100? Adorama, Ritz, B&H all list body + kit lens for more. Just curious--and, have you ever done business with the outfits you've seen that price at?

Following a cue from George, I'm never going to buy a non-US warranty on a camera...so that has to be factored in as well.

Julian

Buydig had it a few days ago. Unfortunately, they seem to like changing prices like the stock market and it jumped up $50 a few days ago, and another $50 today back up to the standard $1349 (before rebate) / $1249 (after rebate). I wouldn't be surprised to see it drop down again though, so keep your eyes peeled for that!

digital1234 is currently selling the 20D for $1249 before, so that brings it down to $1149 after rebate. I heard good thing's about them, but they're still relatively new to the whole business. No tax of course unless you are unlucky enough to live in NJ.

A good 2 lens combo is:

1) 50mm f/1.8
2) Sigma 24-70 f/2.8 or Tamron 28-75 f/2.8, both superb lenses for $400 and $350 respectively. They are more or less equivalent optically to a Canon 24-70L which costs $1200.

Norm in Fujino
04-29-2005, 08:36 PM
lo and behold, I liked its viewfinder better!

Those are two important elements; viewfinders range all over in terms of their size and viewability (not to mention the information they provide), and different people have different needs and preferences. Definitely go with one you like. And the menu situation is similar. If the controls "feel" funny or the menus don't react like you think they "should," you won't be pleased with whatever camera you get.

ReF
04-30-2005, 01:19 AM

you're not the only one who's mentioned how good the 20d feels in the hand, and i'm gonna have to agree with you. when i tried it in the store, i was joking myself thinking: just run out of the store with it! :D as for lenses, i personally recommend that your first lens be the tamron 28-75mm f2.8 XR Di or the Sigma 24-70mm f2.8 EX macro. i REALLY like the tamron and though i've never used the sigma, i heard it's just as good. the sigma is alot bulkier but has a better range. also, IMHO, the tamron easily replaces my canon 50mm f1.8 unless i really need the aperture range between f2.8-1.8 (which is REALLY RARE). oh yeah, the filter thread on the tamron is 67mm while the sigma is 82mm :eek: if that makes any difference to you. i'm not completely sure as i've never used them, but i assume that with lenses like the sigma 18-125 or 18-200, you'll probably have to stop down the lens quite a bit to get some good sharpness out of it. maybe GeorgeR or ObiJuan can help you out with the aperture settings at which these lenses first become really sharp.

Jredtugboat
05-03-2005, 01:35 PM
Buydig had it a few days ago. Unfortunately, they seem to like changing prices like the stock market and it jumped up $50 a few days ago, and another $50 today back up to the standard $1349 (before rebate) / $1249 (after rebate). I wouldn't be surprised to see it drop down again though, so keep your eyes peeled for that!

digital1234 is currently selling the 20D for $1249 before, so that brings it down to $1149 after rebate. I heard good thing's about them, but they're still relatively new to the whole business. No tax of course unless you are unlucky enough to live in NJ.

A good 2 lens combo is:

1) 50mm f/1.8
2) Sigma 24-70 f/2.8 or Tamron 28-75 f/2.8, both superb lenses for $400 and $350 respectively. They are more or less equivalent optically to a Canon 24-70L which costs $1200.

Hi Rex,

Sorry I missed your post. As I'm not going to be buying until toward the end of the summer, here's to hoping that those prices will drop a little more.

I'm interested in the f/1.8 50mm myself. I like a nice, fast prime.
Thanks also for the notes on the Sigma and the Tamron...

Yours,

Julian

aparmley
05-03-2005, 02:33 PM

I have just ordered the XT [which is very similar in image quality to the 20D] as well as the Canon EF 50mm F/1.8 lens. I will be posting some pictures up when ever they come in, hoping the 2 day air stays true to the name! I will add a link to the pictures in this forum for ya. I hope they turn out well... If not, I have a bone to pick with George! LOL just kidding. :D

Rex914
05-03-2005, 02:43 PM
Hi Rex,

Sorry I missed your post. As I'm not going to be buying until toward the end of the summer, here's to hoping that those prices will drop a little more.

Thanks also for the notes on the Sigma and the Tamron...

Yours,

Julian

You might not want to delay too much, since the $100 rebate expires in July. At best, the 20D will retain the rebate price, but there's a good chance that it could remain fixed.

D70FAN
05-03-2005, 03:22 PM
I have just ordered the XT [which is very similar in image quality to the 20D] as well as the Canon EF 50mm F/1.8 lens. I will be posting some pictures up when ever they come in, hoping the 2 day air stays true to the name! I will add a link to the pictures in this forum for ya. I hope they turn out well... If not, I have a bone to pick with George! LOL just kidding. :D

Had I recommended the XT with kit lens, then you definately would have a bone to pick. But the 50mm f1.8 should make up for it.

The Tamron 28-75 f2.8 would have been a better choice for ease of use, but not from a picture quality point of view.

Have fun.

lrm1964
05-03-2005, 08:19 PM
Just had to pass along what I thought of as a good price. We bought the 20d with the kit lens on the Dell site for 1124.00 after rebate, just have to watch for good coupons and stack them. If I was quicker I would have gotten it for 1050.00 after rebate the week earlier.

Rex914
05-03-2005, 08:29 PM
Just had to pass along what I thought of as a good price. We bought the 20d with the kit lens on the Dell site for 1124.00 after rebate, just have to watch for good coupons and stack them. If I was quicker I would have gotten it for 1050.00 after rebate the week earlier.

Does that include tax or not? If it does, it's about the same as some other places that charge no tax at all.

Jredtugboat
05-03-2005, 08:54 PM

Just curious, what coupons are these? And where do you get them?

yours,

Julian

cheese
05-04-2005, 12:53 PM
Just curious, what coupons are these? And where do you get them?

yours,

Julian

Sometimes the coupons are already on the items at dell, although often you have to use special coupon codes to get the discount. Just do a google search for "dell deals" or somthing like that and look for a deal site.

Jredtugboat
05-04-2005, 01:32 PM
Sometimes the coupons are already on the items at dell, although often you have to use special coupon codes to get the discount. Just do a google search for "dell deals" or somthing like that and look for a deal site.

Thanks. I was wondering if these were from the site as 'web only' deals or if I could find them via a deal/coupon consolidator.

Julian

Jredtugboat
05-04-2005, 01:33 PM

Hi,

Hope that works out for you! By the way, Cooper is one handsome hound. Looking forward to the pictures in the galleries!

Julian