PDA

View Full Version : First digital camera - leaning towards the Rebel XT

Xena Torres
04-29-2005, 11:40 AM
Hello. First post. I was directed here to ask some questions.

I'm looking to buy my first digital camera. The Canon Rebel XT looks like the model I am going to buy. However, I had some concerns with this model:

1. I don't know if this is true, but I was told by a salesperson (who likely had no idea) that the 'viewscreen' on the Rebel XT doesn't work to view what you are taking pictures of - that it only works AFTER you have snapped the shot so you can see what you got. That seemed REALLY odd to me for a digital camera. The viewscreen is REALLY important to me. It's part of what I love about digital cameras - the ability to snap shots that are not limited to having your eye pressed against the camera. Is it true that this model does not have a working viewscreen? If so, is there another camera that offers the same features as the Rebel XT that DOES have the screen?

2. The first camera I was shown when I started looking was the Sony Cyber-Shot. I've been told to run far away from sony. ;) However, I REALLY liked a feature on the Sony that I have not seen elsewhere: The sony has a pivoting body so that I could put the camera over my head, and pivot the viewscreen down so I can see what I am shooting (handy at conventions when you are trying to take pictures over people's heads). Is there a Canon model (close to the XT) that can do this?

Thank you in advance for all your replies!

Xena Torres
04-29-2005, 11:55 AM
Sorry, the cyber shot I was referring to is the DSC-F828 model

timmciglobal
04-29-2005, 12:00 PM
Yes, it's ONLY viewable after you take the picture on the LCD. dSLR's (like the XT) use a mirror to show you a viewfinder image and only activate the CMOS sensor when you take the picture.

The swivel LCD is avalible on the S2 IS which should be out in june, on the G6 and the Pro1 from canon.

Tim

Cold Snail
04-29-2005, 12:01 PM
I would go for a compact with manual controls first, get to know what it does and what f/2.8 over f/5.6 ISO100 over 200 means and then step up to a d-SLR when you are ready.
The good thing is, by then, the price for the 350D (or whatever you decide on) will be lower and you will have a handy pocket camera for those days when you don't wan't to take all of the SLR stuff.

Savannah
04-29-2005, 02:25 PM
You might want to wait for the Sony H1. It sounds promising and it may fit the bill for what you are looking for. Keep looking till you find the right one for you.

Rex914
04-29-2005, 04:49 PM
There are some very mistaken people who think that all Sony products break. That's blatantly wrong, otherwise Sony wouldn't still be #1 in (consumer) digital camera sales.

60mm
04-30-2005, 12:15 AM
Being someone that sells cameras all day, I can say this confidently. Sony doesnt beat Nikon or Canon in any regard. In any range of camera. It's not Sony's cameras that have a reputation for going dead, anything that holds more than 1 cd and says sony is a different story. I steer away from selling Sony as much as possible because their proprietary memory sticks suck. Switch to SD you egotistical bastards!!!!

If I were you man, go for the XT. The 828 Chromatic Abberance is down right nasty. Remember, if you get a $600+ non-dslr, youre going to hate yourself later this year when DSLRs are the same price. The D50's body will hit $699 easy.

Ant
04-30-2005, 08:37 AM
Yikes! Where did that come from? We welcome your opinion here, but calling us egotistical bastards is not very endearing. Next time leave the bastard part out. Or better yet, delete your post and start over.

Erm, I think you''ll find that he was referring to Sony with the egotistical bastards comment. Probably regarding their dogged insistance on manufacturing their own brand of memory instead of going with a more widespread and standard choice like SD or CF. :)

Rex914
04-30-2005, 09:28 AM
I'm not advocating for Sony here, but as proprietary as it is, it's relieving to know that their Memory Sticks work with any other Sony product, so if you own other products like a PSP or any of their other electronics, it's definitely a big plus.

Ant
04-30-2005, 09:35 AM
I'm not advocating for Sony here, but as proprietary as it is, it's relieving to know that their Memory Sticks work with any other Sony product...

I'd like to see you get a Sony memory card to work on my Playstation :D ;)

Rex914
04-30-2005, 09:40 AM
Aren't they going to standardize that on the PS3?

Ant
04-30-2005, 09:48 AM
No idea. I haven't really looked into the PS3. It would certainly be a good idea though. The existing PS memory modules are horrendously expensive..

nate
04-30-2005, 04:51 PM
Remember, if you get a $600+ non-dslr, youre going to hate yourself later this year when DSLRs are the same price. The D50's body will hit $699 easy.

DSLRs aren't for everyone. For those who want lower prices, flip-out LCDs, movie mode, smaller size, and the convenience of a single lens, they should not be blindly steered toward purchasing a DSLR, because it's not a good match.

For Xena, I'll also recommend the Canon S2 IS (not yet released). I own its predecessor, the S1, and I like it a lot. The reasons I upgraded to the Rebel XT are (in order of importance):
1. higher image quality
2. faster focus & shutter speed
3. better low light performance
4. higher resolution (for bigger prints & more 'crop-ability')

S2 IS link (http://www.dcresource.com/news/newsitem.php?id=3043)

60mm
04-30-2005, 07:26 PM
I'm not advocating for Sony here, but as proprietary as it is, it's relieving to know that their Memory Sticks work with any other Sony product, so if you own other products like a PSP or any of their other electronics, it's definitely a big plus.

Thats whats so bad about it. They are sucking people into their proprietary system by making all their stuff use it. Got a PSP? Get a duo card. Looking fro a camera now? Well heck, you already got a Duo so get an ultra compact sony that lags behind the nikon and canons! Decide youre going to go with something else? Buy a new memory card! They should just use SD!!!
Memory sticks are terrible. They are more expensive and only 1 brand can use them. They have no plus. One funny thing though. GO with some of Sony's more expensive cameras and youll see they accept CF/MS. I wonder why? Maybe because most people willing to pay good money for a good camera would rather something else other then MS?

No Problem George, we've all done something like that before! Speaking of shooting oneself in the foot, my grandpa blew his own toe of with a shotgun on accident when he was 12. Best part? They re-attached it and it works fine! Ain't medical science great?

ReF
04-30-2005, 08:31 PM
when i first started working in electronics retail(not anymore! YES!) i sorta had something against sony too. why? they sell some really crappy crap targeted toward taking advantage of the misinformed. people would come in and look at the canon and the sony, and think, "hey, this sony is 4mp and the canon is 4mp, but the sony is $50 cheaper so i'll get the sony." little did they know that the sony has a fixed lens while the canon A-series cam has zoom + full manual controls. i can try to tell people of the benefits of better cameras but many have their minds already made up before the enter the store or they don't trust sales people (i don't blame them). the Memory stick also cost 50% more than the canon's compact flash. that kind of marketing is a bit low IMO. but then i realized that the 828 isn't so bad compared to the canon pro1 (mad vignetting), the p100, p150, p200, W1, etc. pretty good as well, sony includes NiMH and rechargers while other manufacturer's AA based cams come with alkalines, and that they put a good movie mode on pretty much all of their cameras. when you look at cameras gone wrong like the nikon 4800, 5200, oly stylus series, kodak CX series, a whole mess of HP's, etc., you realize that sony isn't any worse.

Rex914
04-30-2005, 10:31 PM
Thats whats so bad about it. They are sucking people into their proprietary system by making all their stuff use it. Got a PSP? Get a duo card. Looking fro a camera now? Well heck, you already got a Duo so get an ultra compact sony that lags behind the nikon and canons! Decide youre going to go with something else? Buy a new memory card! They should just use SD!!!
Memory sticks are terrible. They are more expensive and only 1 brand can use them. They have no plus. One funny thing though. GO with some of Sony's more expensive cameras and youll see they accept CF/MS. I wonder why? Maybe because most people willing to pay good money for a good camera would rather something else other then MS?

No Problem George, we've all done something like that before! Speaking of shooting oneself in the foot, my grandpa blew his own toe of with a shotgun on accident when he was 12. Best part? They re-attached it and it works fine! Ain't medical science great?

It isn't sucking people in. It's a system that's been built up for over 5 years now. I'm not saying that it's preferable to a universal standard, but you can't lash like that, because there's no going back now. 5 years ago, that would have been an understandable sentiment. All Sony products are integrated now and are going to stay that way for the years to come.

Arseniy
05-04-2005, 02:55 PM
Personally I'm not a big fan of Sony products in a general, nor am I a big fan of the 828 specifically (due to strong image noise, very strong purple fringing and other issues already mentioned here), though I have seen some very nice shots come out of this camera. If you are interested in a high-end feature set, but want the option of a live LCD preview, I'd suggest looking into cameras such as the Minolta A200, Olympus 8080, the Panasonic FZ20 and the Nikon 8800 as well as others mentioned here. Most of these have flip-out LCDs and are IMO the cream of the crop for the non-DSLR market.

JTL
05-04-2005, 03:41 PM
Just to add my 2.5 cents on the Sony thing...every Sony product I have owned broke or failed within a year:

AIBO ERS-110 (yes I own own one...though now non-functioning)
CLIE NX70
VAIO C1
These are all very expensive items...and all crap!

Now I've come to realize that Sony is in the disposable consumer products business...period. The problem is that I don't think that people see their income as disposable regardless of media reports to the contrary.

j26
05-04-2005, 04:09 PM
The Canon Powershot A95 has a variable angle viewscreen and should cover the feature you like in the Sony. Looking at the canon website, the Powershot S1 IS seems to have it too.

the A95 would seem to be a useful starting point for you - versatile, decent pics and flip screen all in a fairly cheap package. You can then play with the extra features and decide do you want to splash out on a dSLR.

aparmley
05-04-2005, 04:39 PM
I can agree with j26... thats exactly the path I went... I wanted a higher end point and shoot with manual controls... I have owned the A95 for four months and I am dying to get my hands on my XT that is coming... for all the wrong reasons.. no seriously, better response, improved fps, improved iso performance, ability to change lenses, whatelse...increase in MP, there are othes im sure...

This thread is covering a wide gamut of topics.. so I will chime in as well... Sony has this proprietary thing going on with their memory cards sure... Ahemm Apple.. speaking about turning their backs on industrial standards... but anyway... But, you can't blame a company for doing something if its selling, you must blame the consumers... if consumers wouldn't stand for MS and refused purchasing their products we'd be living in a different world a world that is MS free, but we aren't,why, because the consumers are spending their money on these products. If you are giving sony grief because they may be in the business of selling disposable consumer goods, ask your self what company isn't, just look at the warrenties... there is a reason why most are not over 1 year... ;) If they claim a warranty expires in one year to cover the "Factory defects" and that their product will last perfectly fine well past that mark, they are fibbing a little, :eek:, I know right, lies, are you serious? Its pretty simple I think, What lenght of time not only covers factory defects but also sits well with consumers by providing them with the illusion of security good enough to not rule out their product while minimizing the firms costs, how about 1 year? And I won't even begin my speil on "Planned Obsolesence." Every company incorporates this little fella.

ReF
05-04-2005, 06:01 PM
sony products actually have an excellent rep in product longevity. i heard about this and read about it somewhere, but can't remember the source. i believe it in some consumer reports. to back this up, my father had been repairing electronics for a very long time (up until a year ago) which includes TVs, VCRs, Camcorders, Stereos, computers, monitors, etc, etc, and he said that sony was one of the more reliable brands (doesn't get very many of them) while RCA and JVC were constantly needing service. who knows maybe Sony has started to make cheaper products in the last few years.

oh yeah, and i personally think that the worse format is XD. just how much of an advantage is the size reduction from an SD gonna give you? sometimes you even need special adapters just to use it in the multi-format card readers.

Jredtugboat
05-04-2005, 08:37 PM
<snip>
oh yeah, and i personally think that the worse format is XD. just how much of an advantage is the size reduction from an SD gonna give you? sometimes you even need special adapters just to use it in the multi-format card readers.

xD? How about MMC? Has anyone even seen one of those cards? :)

Two cents' worth: I had a series of very bad encounters with Sony quality back in the days when people carried around cassette walkmen. (Remember those? Self-enclosed reel-to-real magnetically-based sound capture format?) I owned three, including a very expensive "outback" model, before I got wise. In particular the headset jack would blow out very quickly...

I own a Sony TV (Trinitron 27", going on eight years) and a five-disc CD changer which haven't given me trouble. I guess it depends on what you're buying, and when you buy...as always, your mileage might vary.

Julian

TheObiJuan
05-04-2005, 08:40 PM
I have the wega 27" that I got back in late 98, it still works as it did the day I got it!

Jredtugboat
05-04-2005, 08:44 PM
The Canon Powershot A95 has a variable angle viewscreen and should cover the feature you like in the Sony. Looking at the canon website, the Powershot S1 IS seems to have it too.

the A95 would seem to be a useful starting point for you - versatile, decent pics and flip screen all in a fairly cheap package. You can then play with the extra features and decide do you want to splash out on a dSLR.

Just more of my two cents' worth...

A friend of mine has the A95 and she is pleased as punch with it. I love the tilt-swivel LCD monitor on my G2, and will miss it a little when I go to my dSLR. Especially if you're shooting candids, it's a terrific, underappreciated (ie., most people think it's a gimmick) composition tool.

My only beef with the A95 is the fact that it doesn't take AAs like the earlier A-series. But it's got a good lens, and has (in my opinion) better ergonomics on account of the handgrip than Canon's sexy new Ixus stuff.

(I have small hands, so ergonomics are pretty important to me.)

yours,

Julian

clee93
06-28-2005, 06:36 PM
Just to add my 2.5 cents on the Sony thing...every Sony product I have owned broke or failed within a year:

AIBO ERS-110 (yes I own own one...though now non-functioning)
CLIE NX70
VAIO C1
These are all very expensive items...and all crap!

Now I've come to realize that Sony is in the disposable consumer products business...period. The problem is that I don't think that people see their income as disposable regardless of media reports to the contrary.

JTL do you want to sell your ERS-110?

JTL
06-28-2005, 08:38 PM
JTL do you want to sell your ERS-110?I have this twisted affection toward it. It's back leg doesn't work (this was a widely reported failure). There is supposedly a fix, but I never got it fixed. I wonder if they'll still do it. PM me and let's discuss...

Warin
06-29-2005, 12:34 PM
My only beef with the A95 is the fact that it doesn't take AAs like the earlier A-series. But it's got a good lens, and has (in my opinion) better ergonomics on account of the handgrip than Canon's sexy new Ixus stuff.

Where did you find an A95 that doesnt take AA batteries??

All of the A95's Canon has delivered to me take AA's. Are you sure you arent thinking of a G Series camera?

I have never been a fan of Sony DSC's. They make great TV's and higher end (ES Series) stereo gear, but are strictly commodity on their imaging product... unless we're talking their 3 chip HD cam, but that's a cool 5K Canadian ;)

Chucko
06-29-2005, 12:45 PM
Uh... has anyone noticed that the original poster made the 2 posts that started this thread back in April, and hasn't posted since?

Talk about thread drift!