PDA

View Full Version : Find your way around a DSLR

freefly
04-29-2005, 08:40 AM
Hello everyone,

I am new to these forums, I kind of get addicted to frequenting the photography forums when I am not actually photographing. If there are any newbies here, or anyone about to buy and start with a DSLR, take a look at my new page I am building...

Newbie Guide to the DSLR (http://www.all-things-photography.com/digital-slr.html)

I would also appreciate any feedback from the more experienced folk here too!

Thanks and all the best,

Nick
All Things Photography (www.all-things-photography.com)

D70FAN
04-29-2005, 09:54 AM
Hello everyone,

I am new to these forums, I kind of get addicted to frequenting the photography forums when I am not actually photographing. If there are any newbies here, or anyone about to buy and start with a DSLR, take a look at my new page I am building...

Newbie Guide to the DSLR (http://www.all-things-photography.com/digital-slr.html)

Thanks and all the best,

Nick

While this may turn out to be a helpful site, the "course material" is very Canon-centric, and pretty well surrounded by comercials.

In fact following the link to "Digital Cameras" features a 10MP Bell & Howell promoted as "Super Advanced 10 megapixel digital camera". Touting it as a $900 value, but now only $399 (actual value maybe $199). It doesn't mention interpolation until the bottom of the page.

I don't mind that the Canon 20D is the camera of choice, but there is no information specific to others including the XT which has a very different user interface, and along with the new D50 from Nikon and the 300D also from Canon are the entry level cameras of choice for most "newbees".

So what is your connection to All-Things-Photography?

All-in-all I want to believe that your intentions are good, but the vehicle and thought behind what you are trying to achieve needs to be rethought. At this point my impression is that this is an advertising vehicle masked by a learning site.

While your claim is as a professional photographer we might also like to know your background in photography as so far, logging on as freefly, your credibility is waning.

If I'm wrong then please accept my appologies.

Karen
05-02-2005, 06:05 PM
Hello everyone,

Thanks and all the best,

Nick
I think your page was very helpful, for myself anyway since my new camera is a RebelXT. What would be helpful is information on lenses (ex.parts of the lens, when can you use the focus ring and when not to, DOF) these are some of the thngs that would be helpful for those of us that are just starting out with a DSLR. Not many have much money left over to purschase books. Good luck with your page...the page so far is helpful and informative. Thanks for taking the time and its FREE !!!so far. Karen

D70FAN
05-02-2005, 07:28 PM
I think your page was very helpful, for myself anyway since my new camera is a RebelXT. What would be helpful is information on lenses (ex.parts of the lens, when can you use the focus ring and when not to, DOF) these are some of the thngs that would be helpful for those of us that are just starting out with a DSLR. Not many have much money left over to purschase books. Good luck with your page...the page so far is helpful and informative. Thanks for taking the time and its FREE !!!so far. Karen

Karen, You would do well to ask for assistance on the Canon dSLR or general dSLR forums. Since I haven't heard from Freefly in several days, it appears that this was a drop-in. Similar to a pop-up.

We have a lot of XT users that can help.

Karen
05-03-2005, 04:12 AM
Karen, You would do well to ask for assistance on the Canon dSLR or general dSLR forums. Since I haven't heard from Freefly in several days, it appears that this was a drop-in. Similar to a pop-up.

We have a lot of XT users that can help.
Thank you George, I think you are correct in your assumption of this person. I have been finding many people to share their expertise on these forums. Have a great day. Karen

freefly
05-19-2005, 12:08 PM
Hi there,

Apologies for my delay in replying, I have been extremely busy (actually taking photos) and don't return to forums as much as I would like to. I also had to reset my password as the one I usually use wouldn't work. However, once I do get back to the forums I tend to try and stay for a while as I find them a great resource for knowledge.

With regards to your comments to my site, you have it slightly wrong…

"At this point my impression is that this is an advertising vehicle masked by a learning site."

It is more a learning site with a few ads on it (on automation, so I have no control over the content other than photography related), to supplement the cost of building the site. I really don't know how you can see it as a commercial vehicle as there are not, in comparison to others, many ads at all, and they probably earn me enough for a roll of film a day! Even this site has many flashing banner ads. I like most people have a family to feed.

The site IS Canon orientated as that is what I predominantly use and know most about and have just had delivered the EOS 1D MKII so I may write more on that too. I used to own and work for Nikon and used the F3 and F5. I try and deal with the actual photography side of things more than the camera, as that is what is important.

My intentions ARE good and you must understand (as it says on my homepage) that the site is new (3 months) and I am currently getting it stocked with as much information at first and will tweak and poke later whilst adding information on other cameras.

My connection to All Things Photography is that I wrote it…nothing more, nothing less. It is my way of releasing what knowledge I have accumulated over 24 years in the hope that it may help others, and as Karen says, it is free. I don't charge for downloads of PDF files with the info on etc., although I may have to later on as it takes up more and more of my time.

My history is that I built a darkroom at 13, worked as an apprentice at 16 for a year, went to Business College for 4 years, started a photography company with my brother, still run it now at 37 years old.

I have a meeting tomorrow for 2 wedding jobs and a contract for a real estate company to shoot villas in excess of £1 million. I have in the last 3 weeks started uploading my work to stock agencies and have currently sold around 230 images.

You can see some of it here…

My Images at Alamy (http://www.alamy.com/stock-photography-search-results.asp?st=0&lic=6&lic=1&ns=1&qt=nicholas+stubbs&go=1&a=-1)

and here….. My Images at Stock to Go (http://www.stocktogo.com/photos.html?submitter_id=6412)

I apologise if this sounds crass or speedily written (it was) but I have a lot to do tonight. I hope it answers your questions and helps you to understand what I am trying to do. I want it to eventually be a one stop, free resource for "All things photography". I have bought many, many magazines over the years and find that now they just tend to repeat themselves with methods, tips and tutorials whilst at the same time reviewing new cameras and stuffing the pages with advertising.

My site may well end up a bit like that but for now I want to keep it reasonably free of flashy ads and full of information.

All the best to you both,

Nick