PDA

View Full Version : Canon S-60 blurs. Anyone experiencing it?

zero
07-06-2004, 04:45 PM
I was looking at the sample pictures posted at:
http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/canon/powershot_s60-review/gallery.shtml
and saw that the Canon S-60's pictures had noticeable blur in the corners, especially in the bottom-right and bottom-left corners. When I saw sample pictures from the S-50, it impressed me quite a lot. But after looking at the S-60's corner blurs, it was a bit disappointing. I haven't really planned buying a camera for myself, but I was going to recommend it to few of my friends. Anyone experienced the same problems as the sample pictures posted on DCResource?

Gravy88
07-07-2004, 04:55 PM
This is a well know issue with the s-60. the corner blur is because of the wide angle lens. My s-60 does the same thing. The only time you will get the blur is at the widest angle. if you tap the zoom one notch the blur is gone. in most cases when you print the pics the corners will be cropped out unless you are doning larger than 8x10. I am no expert but I have researched this camera a lot before I purchased mine. So far I love it.

zero
07-08-2004, 03:40 PM
if you tap the zoom one notch the blur is gone.

So do you mean that if you don't zoom in at all, you get the blur?

And when you zoom in just a little bit, the blur is gone?

Gravy88
07-08-2004, 06:33 PM
Yes, that is what I was trying to say.

zero
07-09-2004, 08:25 PM
Yes, that is what I was trying to say.

Oh cool. Thanks a lot for the info!

fogllama
07-16-2004, 01:18 PM
I have been taking various experimental shots with my new S60. As warned in the documentation, high contrast and backlit situations can also cause blur. I noticed this taking shots of the sky through the branches of an oak tree and a shot of a leaf lit from behind by the sun.

The documentation says that using AF lock or manual focus can overcome this. I haven't tried that yet.

The S60 also shares the problems autofocusing underwater that most digital cameras seem to have. Common advice is to manully focus, then move the camera to fine tune. Much pool practice is called for before trying to capture a macro shot of a banded coral shrimp while a Cozumel current is trying to haul your butt downrange...