PDA

View Full Version : Looking into 300D

sp44
04-28-2005, 09:03 AM
Will these be getting any cheaper with the new XT out? I don't want to get the 300D now only to find it $100 cheaper in a month.

tlmiller10
04-28-2005, 11:07 AM
I cannot forsee the Digital Rebel, dropping 100.00 dollars in a month. But it will continue to drop in price in small increments over time. I just bought mine used for 750.00 with kit lens, and less than 1200 shots on it. Plus warrenty, and extras.

I'm extremely happy with it. Is it the best thing ever? No, but still great.

-tlmiller10

TheObiJuan
04-28-2005, 11:53 AM
it already dropped. It had a MSRP of 999, now it has a MSRP of 699

jamison55
04-28-2005, 12:35 PM
They are getting much cheaper on the used market. One sold last week on the Fred Miranda forum for $475 (body only) with a 256MB card. At that price this camera is a STEAL.

TheObiJuan
04-28-2005, 03:23 PM
there is one for sale now on fred miranda for that price. ;)
get it!

JTL
04-28-2005, 03:50 PM
Just wait till the D50 comes out. I predict blood (or at least cheap 300Ds) in the streets... :D

Rex914
04-28-2005, 04:44 PM
The 300D has already dropped in price to the $600/$700 price point. Get it while you can because a lot of places still insist on clearing it out even though it's technically not being phased out.

JTL
04-28-2005, 04:49 PM
The 300D has already dropped in price to the $600/$700 price point. Get it while you can because a lot of places still insist on clearing it out even though it's technically not being phased out.Words to the wise...because as we know...the market is the final arbiter...

D70FAN
04-28-2005, 05:01 PM
The 300D has already dropped in price to the $600/$700 price point. Get it while you can because a lot of places still insist on clearing it out even though it's technically not being phased out.

I don't think so... as I don't think that Canon is going to let Nikon own the entry level market with the D50? If the D50 Body is $750 retail they still have at least $150 to play with, so $600 is possible. Retailers don't really care as long as they have something to sell in that price range, enough margin to make a profit, and an upgrade path to sell more... ;)

JTL
04-28-2005, 05:54 PM
I don't think so... as I don't think that Canon is going to let Nikon own the entry level market with the D50? If the D50 Body is $750 retail they still have at least $150 to play with, so $600 is possible. Retailers don't really care as long as they have something to sell in that price range, enough margin to make a profit, and an upgrade path to sell more... ;)George...

I think retailers are lazy and it will probably be easier for them to offer the D50 to the price conscious. Plus, they are thinking why they should sell both the 300D and XT. Too much explaining for the lazy and ill-informed salespeople. For Canon, the retailers will offer the 20D and XT and for Nikon the D70s and the D50. It just makes their life easier.

I must admit that Nikon's strategy is beginning to make sense to me now because they are positioned well to win the "active" low-end.

ReF
04-29-2005, 09:53 PM
i tend to agree with the idea that most retailers are trying to phase the 300d out of their stock. right before i quit, the major chain retailer that i worked for did just that. i think that if independent camera store owners were wise, they would continue to sell the 300d at rock bottom prices to grab those prosumer all-in-one customers, then get them on the glass (like a body only and sigma 18-125 or 18-200 combo). if you were on the market for a high end point and shoot that combo would get you seriously thinking about it, wouldn't it?

JTL
04-30-2005, 11:11 AM
For those retailers, I think the D50 will be an easier "sell". It's new. It has buzz. There's still plenty of expensive lenses to sell...

I wouldn't buy it, but I think the retailers will push it like crazy...

I can't tell whether Nikon has a brilliant market timing strategy or if they're just lucky...

nate
04-30-2005, 04:58 PM
George...

I think retailers are lazy and it will probably be easier for them to offer the D50 to the price conscious. Plus, they are thinking why they should sell both the 300D and XT. Too much explaining for the lazy and ill-informed salespeople. For Canon, the retailers will offer the 20D and XT and for Nikon the D70s and the D50. It just makes their life easier.

I must admit that Nikon's strategy is beginning to make sense to me now because they are positioned well to win the "active" low-end.

That's a lot of assumptions based on the "laziness" of retailers. Unfortunately, I don't think 16-year-old, minimum-wage-earning employees are making many strategic sales decisions for these national chains.

D70FAN
04-30-2005, 07:51 PM
George...

Again, very good points. But Canon will have to do something to keep their foot in the low end of the pool, as that is where people learn to swim...and lenses are sold. Expect Nikon to continue with their low cost consumer lens series, and Canon to try and pull the 18-55 out of the fire.

I wouldn't be surprised if the new Nikkor "kit" lenses are found to be very good, further sending Canon back to the drawing board. Both companies , and third party makers, really need to address their IS strategies as well (especially Nikon).

I think this competition is really going to help us all, and even bleed over to the professional groups as well.

sp44
04-30-2005, 08:23 PM
The best price I've seen is $671 shipped. Or at my local CircuitCity at $710 plus tax but with 0% for 2 years. Is the XT worth $200 more cause CC has that too?

ReF
04-30-2005, 08:44 PM
The best price I've seen is $671 shipped. Or at my local CircuitCity at $710 plus tax but with 0% for 2 years. Is the XT worth $200 more cause CC has that too?

being someone who has the 300d, just by looking at the specs and reviews of the XT and knowing what the 300d lacks, i would say that YES the XT is definately worth the mere $200 to upgrade.

ReF
04-30-2005, 08:50 PM
Again, very good points. But Canon will have to do something to keep their foot in the low end of the pool, as that is where people learn to swim...and lenses are sold. Expect Nikon to continue with their low cost consumer lens series, and Canon to try and pull the 18-55 out of the fire.

I wouldn't be surprised if the new Nikkor "kit" lenses are found to be very good, further sending Canon back to the drawing board. Both companies , and third party makers, really need to address their IS strategies as well (especially Nikon).

I think this competition is really going to help us all, and even bleed over to the professional groups as well.

i'm glad canon will have some competition in the sub &1500 dslr range to keep them from slacking off. when i saw that Nikon was pretty much re-releasing the 6mp D70 and adding an "s'' to it's name, while canon has a half year old 8mp cam and another coming out in next 6 months (i assume), i thought "oh man, this is bad for us consumers." hopefully the d50 will steal enough of canon's profits to keep them on their toes. :)

Tsukroffphoto
05-05-2005, 09:46 AM
Be careful when shopping on price alone. The 300D is a great little machine, but the XT has some very important features. The Russian hack helped a little, but some features couldn't be activated.

Such as - AI focus. Not available on the 300D, now standard with the XT.

Processing speed - blazing with the XT.

The XT is worth the extra investment, providing features originally available only on the 10D. Plus the XT takes the -S series lenses.

Nathan

amorphic8
06-01-2005, 04:32 PM
I just got a Digital Rebel 6.3 with the 18-55mm kit at a local mom & pop camera shop in Jersey City last Saturday.

The price was still listed with them as $799, but he dropped it to $749 (still not rock-bottom) but hooked me up with good prices on necessary accessories (extra battery, lens filter/protector, Canon 2400 gadget bag, SanDisk 512Mb CF card). I got everything for under $850.

I showed the shop owner ads for the same camera ranging from $640+ and he explained that there may be a difference in the warranty that is included. He claimed that the extra $$ that he charges is due to a full 1 year Canon US warranty, that the other cameras may not include the US warranty; he used the term 'grey market.'

If this is true, it may be something to look into before ordering one online or from a mega store.

Well I feel I got it for a fair price, if not rock-bottom, and I also feel confident that the owner of this store knows his stuff very well and have already stopped back in there for some advise.
After all, that IS worth something, isn't it?

All in all, I am pretty satisfied.

eagle17
06-02-2005, 06:03 AM
Well I feel I got it for a fair price, if not rock-bottom, and I also feel confident that the owner of this store knows his stuff very well and have already stopped back in there for some advise.
After all, that IS worth something, isn't it?

All in all, I am pretty satisfied.

Bingo!

Cost alone is not everything to everyone. This is a great point.