PDA

View Full Version : Close up shots of jewelry

Threnody
04-28-2005, 01:15 AM
I currently have the Fuji Finepix E550.

I am a novice at photography and need some tips.

I need to take a picture of a mens Black Hills Gold ring to sell on Ebay.
Every shot I take on each setting looks like crap!
I have tried the close up settings on the camera and they still turn out blurry and undetailed. I tried with flash & without and I also have tried in different lighting and with dark & light backgrounds! Being a novice I am very lost on how to correctly shoot this ring so that my potential customers can see how nice it really is.

If anyone has any tips for me or is experienced in this type of photography I could really use some help!

Thanks much! Threnody

jamison55
04-28-2005, 05:28 AM
My suggestion: take the ring, the camera, and a piece of black construction paper outside and find a big shady tree. Under the tree, place the ring on the construction paper, and frame the shot so that all you see is the ring and the black background.

Norm in Fujino
04-28-2005, 10:35 AM
also, if your photos are blurry, it's a result one (or both) of two possible things:

1. camera shake. This is easily cured by using a tripod. A tripod or other very steady rest should be considered an absolute necessity when shooting product shots like the ring. You may be using shutter settings that are so slow that a tripod is the only way to prevent camera shake.

2. improper focusing. You may be trying to shoot closer to the ring than the camera is capable of focusing. Check your instruction manual for information on how to do macro photography, especially what special settings may be necessary, and how close your camera can shoot.

jamison55
04-28-2005, 01:39 PM
also, if your photos are blurry, it's a result one (or both) of two possible things:

1. camera shake. This is easily cured by using a tripod. A tripod or other very steady rest should be considered an absolute necessity when shooting product shots like the ring. You may be using shutter settings that are so slow that a tripod is the only way to prevent camera shake.

2. improper focusing. You may be trying to shoot closer to the ring than the camera is capable of focusing. Check your instruction manual for information on how to do macro photography, especially what special settings may be necessary, and how close your camera can shoot.

That's even better advice than mine... With distances that close your depth of field is extremely shallow, so any movement between the time the camera focuses and the time you take the shot will cause an out of focus picture. Tripod will make sure the camera doesn't move!