PDA

View Full Version : A95 -- Yes & NO...

Javair
08-29-2004, 01:10 PM
Dang!
I am highly annoyed with what I am seeing of the A95's picture samples.

The body style, the swivel screen, the metal body, ...all awesome!

But the purple fringing on almost all sample photographs here at dcresource and at Steve's review is the worst! What a bummer.

I really want the body size and body attributes of the A95, I really want a 5 MP, but I cannot live with what I am seeing in the samples.

Rhys
08-29-2004, 01:39 PM
Dang!
I am highly annoyed with what I am seeing of the A95's picture samples.

The body style, the swivel screen, the metal body, ...all awesome!

But the purple fringing on almost all sample photographs here at dcresource and at Steve's review is the worst! What a bummer.

I really want the body size and body attributes of the A95, I really want a 5 MP, but I cannot live with what I am seeing in the samples.

I'm not so sure that the purple fringing is that important. The chances are you'll never be printing big enough to notice the purple fringes.

Javair
08-29-2004, 02:07 PM
Print? I print very few photographs. Mostly I store my photos in digital albums on Hard Drive and DVD. I look at them as I feel like it. So, what's on the screen is what concerns me.

Also, I've noticed that the new S70 and the S60 photos show better detail and though the S70 has some purple firinge, its not as bad as the A95.

For clarity and resolution, compare Jeff's photos of people walking a park near the bridge. The resolution of the grass, trees, and peoples' faces is so much better in the S-series than the A95 (unfortunately). I wish a picture with as nice a quality as I'm seeing out of the new S70 could be shot with the A95.

Actually, I'm surprised a 7MP camera is shooting such a nice picture. I have not been impressed with anything above 5MP before. I wonder what Canon is doing to get such a clean 7MP shot...?

bibby
09-01-2004, 02:51 PM
Hi...
I'm also interested in A95, but I got confused with Javair's problem and 'purple fringing' as he said. I looked at some of the reviews but could not find those indications.
Can anyone post link to those photos and explain what's really goin' on... because I plan to print images.

thanks!

Rhys
09-01-2004, 04:16 PM
Hi...
I'm also interested in A95, but I got confused with Javair's problem and 'purple fringing' as he said. I looked at some of the reviews but could not find those indications.
Can anyone post link to those photos and explain what's really goin' on... because I plan to print images.

thanks!

Look at the constrast between light and dark. If there's a purple fringe on the edge then that's purple fringing.

Why not try printing some of Jeff's photos. Then you can see just how much or little of the purple fringing appears on the prints - before you rush out to the shop to try the camera.

bibby
09-02-2004, 02:00 PM
Look at the constrast between light and dark. If there's a purple fringe on the edge then that's purple fringing.

Why not try printing some of Jeff's photos. Then you can see just how much or little of the purple fringing appears on the prints - before you rush out to the shop to try the camera.

Many thanks for your reply!

I'll try that, but what if I want my photos to take to the photo shop and develop like we all used to with older cameras... will I get that purple fringing?

I didn't explain it like I wanted to... my english is not at that level, now :)

Alnath
09-02-2004, 04:00 PM
Yes you will get it if it there to start with but it is not going to be on every shot, only ones with a distinct dark and light contrast :)

Javair
09-05-2004, 07:18 PM
Hi, back to me again.

Like I said before, I just like to look at my photos (family, backpacking, vacations, etc.) on my big computer screen. So, printing isn't as important.

The fringing is evident here in Jeff's DCResource review, for instance around the shadowed edges of the Asian-style roof in this picture

http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/canon/powershot_a95-review/IMG_0131.JPG

Or around the lettering and windows in the shot of the Chinatown entrance.

But I can see why some say it is not too bad.

It came through much more in the review shots from Steve's Digicams site. His site is down as I post this, so I can't attach the web address. However, at the end of Jeff's review (this site's) of the A95, is a link to Steve's review. Go to the pictures at the end of Steve's review. The shot of the boats at the marina is awfully telling.

I gotta waffle a bit back and forth on this camera as I really like the size (yes, the larger size) and the swivel screen. So, who knows, I may buy one and use photshop to correct any shots that bug me.