PDA

View Full Version : A great deal on a SOLID Tripod

jamison55
04-26-2005, 12:28 PM
I know that may of us are on a budget (and some of us are just plain cheap), so I thought I'd pass along a great deal that I found this week on a tripod.

First off, I started thinking about upgrading my tripod when I realized that with the 80-200L and the 20D I was placing $2400 worth of equipment in the hands of a $29 Wal-Mart tripod. So on my last visit to NY, I took a trip to B&H and sorted through their comprehensive collection. I quickly realized 2 things: 1 - Bigger, heavier, tripods provided a much more stable pearch, and 2 - Bigger heavier tripods were EXPENSIVE. Many of the more stable tripods were several hundred dollars for the legs alone! Add a hundred more for a decent head!

After setting up a bunch of tripods, I finally decided that the Slik 300, with attached pan-n-tilt head was the perfect combination of stability and price, with a sticker of $99.

Fast forward to last week, when I decide to do an EBay search for tripods. Dynatran tripods sold by Amvona kept coming up, and they looked to be really well built for not much $$. So I bid on one (Dynatran 818), and won - $60 including shipping and MA sales tax.

Two days later, it arrived at my door, and I have to say I am really impressed. Weighing in at about 9 pounds, I am not going to be taking this hiking any time soon, but I will bring it to events that I shoot where kids are running around. It is as stable as anything I tried at B&H, and the pan-n-tilt head is well machined and smooth. The legs have three positions for stability (the third being really close to the ground), and the center column reverses, so that you can mount the camera (upside down) below the legs.

Just a heads up in case someone is looking for a solid tripod for short $$$.

Here are some pics of mine:

TheObiJuan
04-26-2005, 01:02 PM
I have the dynatran at-12t and I LOVE it. SOLID it is. Its a freakin' tank. Combined with my manfrotto 488RC4, I can have my 55lbs dumbells hang from the head and it doesn't creep.
I even picked up another. ;) I traded the kit lens for it. So I will have a spare.
I don't know much about yours, but mine has a center column that is also a monopod! Ain't that great?

D70FAN
04-26-2005, 03:53 PM
I know that may of us are on a budget (and some of us are just plain cheap), so I thought I'd pass along a great deal that I found this week on a tripod.

First off, I started thinking about upgrading my tripod when I realized that with the 80-200L and the 20D I was placing $2400 worth of equipment in the hands of a $29 Wal-Mart tripod. So on my last visit to NY, I took a trip to B&H and sorted through their comprehensive collection. I quickly realized 2 things: 1 - Bigger, heavier, tripods provided a much more stable pearch, and 2 - Bigger heavier tripods were EXPENSIVE. Many of the more stable tripods were several hundred dollars for the legs alone! Add a hundred more for a decent head!

After setting up a bunch of tripods, I finally decided that the Slik 300, with attached pan-n-tilt head was the perfect combination of stability and price, with a sticker of $99.

Fast forward to last week, when I decide to do an EBay search for tripods. Dynatran tripods sold by Amvona kept coming up, and they looked to be really well built for not much $$. So I bid on one (Dynatran 818), and won - $60 including shipping and MA sales tax.

Two days later, it arrived at my door, and I have to say I am really impressed. Weighing in at about 9 pounds, I am not going to be taking this hiking any time soon, but I will bring it to events that I shoot where kids are running around. It is as stable as anything I tried at B&H, and the pan-n-tilt head is well machined and smooth. The legs have three positions for stability (the third being really close to the ground), and the center column reverses, so that you can mount the camera (upside down) below the legs.

Just a heads up in case someone is looking for a solid tripod for short $$$.

Here are some pics of mine:

Wow, that looks as heavy-duty as the Manfroto I was eyeing about a week ago. I'm more of a monopod user, and the $40 Quantaray I have works pretty well, but for $60 that looks like a winner.

That's 2 new things to buy for summer. The other looks like the Sigma 18-200 that Juan was nice enough to repost from the Japanese test. The CFO will not be a happy camper. Anybody have a doghouse I can borrow? ;)

TheObiJuan
04-26-2005, 05:50 PM
I am so in trouble once my fiance finds out...
once we get married next month, the slate is wiped clean, right?
Otherwise, I will join george in needing a spare doghouse.

D70FAN
04-26-2005, 06:02 PM

I hear there's a doggie duplex for lease in Hollywood. ;)

P.S. The slate is never really clean...

sarcazmo
04-26-2005, 11:32 PM
I'm going to have to remember these tripods... Sure beats spending 2-500 bucks.

TheObiJuan
04-27-2005, 12:29 AM
the center column/monopod did it for me!
Magnesium and aluminum body with the soft foam aroun the top of the legs for comfort. It has the build quality of a 3-400 dollar tripod and they are so damn cheap! :confused:
I was using it today to shoot ducks in a pond. The tripod was in water btw, I had 2 legs in the water, about 2 feet deep, and the third leg was cocked off at an angle on the shore. I needed it to be there to shoot some ducks and birds. I was surprised how well it took it. I cleaned it up afterwards and had no doubts. There is nothing to corrode. After cleaning I sprayed wd40 on the legs and called it a day.

ReF
04-27-2005, 02:27 AM
the center column/monopod did it for me!
Magnesium and aluminum body with the soft foam aroun the top of the legs for comfort. It has the build quality of a 3-400 dollar tripod and they are so damn cheap! :confused:
I was using it today to shoot ducks in a pond. The tripod was in water btw, I had 2 legs in the water, about 2 feet deep, and the third leg was cocked off at an angle on the shore. I needed it to be there to shoot some ducks and birds. I was surprised how well it took it. I cleaned it up afterwards and had no doubts. There is nothing to corrode. After cleaning I sprayed wd40 on the legs and called it a day.

did you get yours from the same place as jamison55?

Rhys
04-27-2005, 05:04 AM

Remember that women are like elephants - they never forget anything. My wife has 200+ relatives and knows most of their names, birthdays and anniversaries....

TheObiJuan
04-27-2005, 09:01 AM
did you get yours from the same place as jamison55?

The first one I purchased through a member of another forum. He purchased 2 for the price of one on ebay. The other I traded the Kit lens for it.
I figured I could let people try mine, if they like it, then I can sell them it for cheap. Most photogs I know buy name brand stuff because of reputation. I buy things because their VALUE is greater for the price I pay.
I purchased the 135 f/2.8 Soft focus lens. It is very sharp and much MUCH cheaper than the 135 f/2L. It is f/.8 slower, so who cares?
I get great background blur with it. ;)

gary_hendricks
04-27-2005, 09:34 AM
Jamison55, thanks for the links. I'll certainly check them out.

astro
09-04-2005, 09:35 PM
I was also directed to the amvona tripods.
I picked up an 858 ballhead tripod from them for $50+$25 shipping.
It looks and feels really solid.
However, there is a lot of jitter when I use it with my heavy duty metal 300mm F/4 prime lens that weighs roughly 2lbs.