PDA

View Full Version : Olympus or Canon?

Rhys
04-26-2005, 08:25 AM
I'm looking still at getting a dSLR.

Having seen my wedding photographer (got married on Staurday) waving around a Pentax *ist, I feel locally there's room for good wedding photographers.

I'm very tempted by Olympus and also by Canon. The big problem in wedding photography is capturing the detail of the bride's dress without blackening her face or getting the face and blowing out the dress - particularly if it's white and one certainly doesn't want red fringes everywhere.

I love the colours and the aspect ratio on the Olympus. I feel the Canon is a better camera and that there's a new Olympus due out sometime.

Has anybody any comments?

Balrog
04-26-2005, 11:23 AM
first of all .. congratulations! :D
About the SLRs .. which Canon are you referring to? (I'm assuming Oly=Evolt, right?)
General suggestion regarding over/underexposing the bride - shooting in RAW would probably help immensely ...

Rhys
04-26-2005, 12:16 PM
first of all .. congratulations! :D
About the SLRs .. which Canon are you referring to? (I'm assuming Oly=Evolt, right?)
General suggestion regarding over/underexposing the bride - shooting in RAW would probably help immensely ...

I was a little vague with regard to which camera, deliberately.
The Olympus E1 is a fine camera but overpriced and a bit elderly plus it's a little underspecified at only 5 megapixels.
The Olympus E-300 is well specified although I gather it's aimed downmarket a little and is hence a shade on the soft side, imagewise. 8 megapixels seems to be more of a norm these days.
The Canon Rebel XT seems to be a good camera. The lack of spot metering aspect is something that does worry me though. Having said that, it seems a very nice camera.
The Canon 20D seems to be quite a good camera too.

In terms of cost, there seems little to choose between the four. If Olympus comes out with an E2 anytime soon then I shall be very interested. Otherwise I might have to consider a Canon D20. The Rebel XT seems to be a fine camera although people's perceprions being what they are, I'd say that the photographer (particularly in a wedding) needs to have top-class equipment that people can recognise rather than brands that get sneered at (such as Pentax) or obviously amateur cameras such as the Rebel.

D70FAN
04-26-2005, 12:52 PM
I'm looking still at getting a dSLR.

Having seen my wedding photographer (got married on Staurday) waving around a Pentax *ist, I feel locally there's room for good wedding photographers.

I'm very tempted by Olympus and also by Canon. The big problem in wedding photography is capturing the detail of the bride's dress without blackening her face or getting the face and blowing out the dress - particularly if it's white and one certainly doesn't want red fringes everywhere.

I love the colours and the aspect ratio on the Olympus. I feel the Canon is a better camera and that there's a new Olympus due out sometime.

Has anybody any comments?

As a future wedding photgrapher, you might find this interesting reading. Sorry I don't remember who first posted this article, so please forgive the credit omission.

http://www.planetneil.com/nikon/d2x-altf.html

Wedding photographers use whatever tool gets the job done. Of the 3 I know (and our resident JW) it depended on what lenses they had when switching from film to digital. We are aware of your collection of 30 year old Nikon glass and, while somewhat unfortunate, it may actually be a blessing in disguise as wedding photography (and anything else with dynamic qualities) seems to require a good, fast focus, AF lens.

To be honest it doesn't really matter which one you choose. The real choice will be lenses. Fortunately, as you know, there are some good ones available for all mounts.

Anyway, I hope you enjoy the story.

Rex914
04-26-2005, 01:25 PM
I can help solidify costs a bit.

Fry's has been trying to sell off the E1 for a while at $1299. An E2 would be nice, but it'd be pretty costly I'd imagine.

The 20D is easily available for less than $1200 after rebate with no tax of course.

I've seen the XT being sold for $850 and less at reputable placs (no tax also).

By the way, congratulations!

D70FAN
04-26-2005, 04:24 PM
I can help solidify costs a bit.

Fry's has been trying to sell off the E1 for a while at $1299. An E2 would be nice, but it'd be pretty costly I'd imagine.

The 20D is easily available for less than $1200 after rebate with no tax of course.

I've seen the XT being sold for $850 and less at reputable placs (no tax also).

By the way, congratulations!

Thanks Rex! Beside the camera stuff, you brought up a very good point... we forgot to congratulate the blushing groom.

Welcome to married life. I've been testing it for 34 years, and it seems to work. ;) So again congratualtions!

scalia
04-26-2005, 06:21 PM
I was a little vague with regard to which camera, deliberately.
The Olympus E1 is a fine camera but overpriced and a bit elderly plus it's a little underspecified at only 5 megapixels.
The Olympus E-300 is well specified although I gather it's aimed downmarket a little and is hence a shade on the soft side, imagewise. 8 megapixels seems to be more of a norm these days.
The Canon Rebel XT seems to be a good camera. The lack of spot metering aspect is something that does worry me though. Having said that, it seems a very nice camera.
The Canon 20D seems to be quite a good camera too.

In terms of cost, there seems little to choose between the four. If Olympus comes out with an E2 anytime soon then I shall be very interested. Otherwise I might have to consider a Canon D20. The Rebel XT seems to be a fine camera although people's perceprions being what they are, I'd say that the photographer (particularly in a wedding) needs to have top-class equipment that people can recognise rather than brands that get sneered at (such as Pentax) or obviously amateur cameras such as the Rebel.

if you look at Olympus E-1, A Second Opinion, Field Test, and Survey Results (http://luminous-landscape.com/reviews/cameras/e1-2nd.shtml) many use the E-1 for wedding. The Kit price is almost the same with the 350D now (and if you got a relative in New Zealand, you can get it for $750, but it's with the 14-45mm tho). Oh and don't be fooled by just 5MP, even the D2Hs only got 4MP ;) Good luck on your quest...

and congrats!