View Full Version : xD question for the Olympus C-765

08-29-2004, 10:11 AM
Is it required to buy the Olympus xD card or can I buy the Fuji xD card? Not sure if there will be a compatibility/performance issue here. I found that the Fuji xD 256MB is much cheaper than the Olympus 256MB.

Note: I have not yet bought the C-765. This will be my first digital purchase so I am researching as much as I can!!

:) OK, I think I answered my own question. I found a customer review on Amazon - "If you have an Olympus digital camera, and you shoot in the Panorama mode (which I use regularly and really like when snowboarding and backpacking), you HAVE TO HAVE AN OLYMPUS BRANDED xD CARD; non-Olympus cards don't support and won't enter the mode."

If this is incorrect, please advise!

David Metsky
08-30-2004, 08:23 AM
For the C-720 (which uses SmartMedia) this is true. Only Oly cards work with the panorama mode, other brands won't. They work fine otherwise, just this one feature isn't available. I have one Oly card that came with the camera that I use for panos, and use the other, larger cards for everything else.

Ben Miller
08-30-2004, 09:53 PM
Dave's right. Any xD card will work in the C-765, but only an Olympus card will enable the in-camera panorama mode. Do note that you can still make panoramas with a third-party card. You just have to do it without the help of the camera's special mode.

David Metsky
08-31-2004, 08:30 AM
Actually, there was a hack posted way back when about making the camera think that 3rd party cards were Oly and activating the pano mode. This was for SmartMedia and used an authoring tool that allowed you to make changes on the card itself. It would have been nice, but it wasn't worth my effort to follow up since I already had one Oly card that I could use.

I don't know if there is a similar hack for the xD cards.

Ben Miller
08-31-2004, 08:29 PM
Additionally, if you have one of the Olympus cameras that takes two kinds of media (CF and SmartMedia, like the 5050, or CF and xD, like the 5060) then you can take panos on the xD/SM card and then copy them to the CF card to free up room for more panos.