PDA

View Full Version : What ScanDisk card to buy????

jvan
04-25-2005, 11:56 AM
Hello, I have just purchased the Nikon 7900 and need to buy a SD card. I had an older Sony digital camera which took a memory stick so I am not familiar with the SD cards (AT ALL). When I went to get one my head started spinning, there is sereral different brands and different SD cards such as ultra, ultra II, high speed and so on. What does all that mean? And does the brand matter? There was everything from a Kodak to a Lexar and plenty in between. Does the picture quality have anything to do with what brand or type card you have? Will the type card you use make the wait in between taking pictures any faster? So what will work best with the Nikon 7900? PLEASE HELP!
Thank you in advance, jvan :confused:

David Metsky
04-25-2005, 01:23 PM
Ultra, Ultra-II, and Ultra-III are all groupings of speed for the memory card. They all function exactly the same, except for their read/write speeds. Your camera may or may not be able to take advantage of the higher speed cards. The goal is to get a card that allows your camera to work at its highest speed but not waste money on extra speed that your camera can't use.

For many consumer cameras, you can get by with the slowest speed cards just fine. I don't know anything about the 7900 specifically, but the review on this very site (http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/nikon/coolpix5900_7900-review/index.shtml recommends a high speed card if you wish to use the high quality movie modes. So a few bucks for the Ultra-II are probably worthwhile.

Beyond speed, cards from the major manufacturers don't seem to have any quality issues.

-dave-

jvan
04-25-2005, 02:51 PM
Thank you David for helping clear things up. I will go with the Ultra II. I really love this Nikon 7900 and Jeffs review helped make my decision to purchase it. Thanks to both of you for your help. Oh one more thing, do you or anybody else know if the Ultra II card will make the wait shorter between pictures? This little hourglass comes up in between shots and the manual says that is where the pictures are being recorded to the SD card. It seems to take several seconds. Right now I'm just using a regular 256mb SD card. I did't know what to get so I just got the cheapest card until I could make a more informed decision about what to buy.

SamuraiJack
04-25-2005, 04:35 PM
do you or anybody else know if the Ultra II card will make the wait shorter between pictures?

Yeah...thats the point of a faster card. The Ultra II has around 9mb write speed I believe while normal cards are about 2mb or so. It should cut down on write speed quite a bit.

Wes

Rex914
04-25-2005, 05:05 PM
This really depends on whether the camera takes advantage of faster write speeds. If you take a lot of shots in a short period of time, the camera will be flushing it buffer more often, making that extra write speed a nice thing to have. But if you space out your shots, there's absolutely no need for a faster card.

jvan
04-25-2005, 06:31 PM
Ok, I will difinitely be getting the faster SD card, but how will I know if my Nikon 7900 will take advatage of the faster write speeds? I have looked all through the manual and I can not find anything about this in it. Maybe I am looking for the wrong thing? Is there someway I can tell? I am new at this!