PDA

View Full Version : Why no flip out LCD viewfinder on DSLR's?

MrSleep
04-25-2005, 01:53 AM
Whats stoping manufaturers from adding a flip out rotational LCD to a DSLR like the one on a G6 P&S???

I dont want to part with my A95 for this reason only, since this feature overcomes the shyness barrier in street photograpgy.
I dont think I will ever have the guts to hold the camera at eye level for taking pictures of interesting people I have never met..

My strategem, now is to look down at the LCD and snap away very discreetly (while walking), but I also find myself missing features found on DSLR's, like...
-Faster/higher & cleaner ISO settings
-Wider lens
-Faster hassle free auto focus (asuming) comapred to A95???

Why? :(

TheObiJuan
04-25-2005, 02:04 AM
DSLR's have a mirror that reflects the image to the viefinder prism. Live view from the sensor is very stressfull on the sensor, so this would not be a good idea. The 20Da, an astrophotography specific DSLR can do this for brief ammounts of time, but must take extended periods of inactivity to cool down.
The flipping LCD is a gimick and not needed on a DSLR.

MrSleep
04-25-2005, 04:13 AM
Why cant there be an independent alterante "gimmick" viewing option? That "gimmick" serves well for them discreet and awkward to photograph moments.

its just a matter of time before they implement this feature for their money making contraption.

Ray Schnoor
04-25-2005, 06:26 AM
Whats stoping manufaturers from adding a flip out rotational LCD to a DSLR like the one on a G6 P&S???

My guess is that the LCD on dSLR's is only used for viewing photos after they have been taken. You cannot frame a photo from the LCD on a dSLR, or use it as a live viewfinder. Since this is the case, what would be the use for a flip out viewfinder?

Ray.

MrSleep
04-25-2005, 09:02 PM
WHY???? :confused: Something about the light prism unable to sustain the LCD for long periods of time and it heats up so it needs to be turned off to cool down something something?

WHY???

Whats the difference between the prism of a G6 and an SLR?

D70FAN
04-25-2005, 09:12 PM
WHY???? :confused: Something about the light prism unable to sustain the LCD for long periods of time and it heats up so it needs to be turned off to cool down something something?

WHY???

Whats the difference between the prism of a G6 and an SLR?

The G6 doesn't have a prism, as it uses a lens-coupled viewfinder (actually a separate lens) not a Single Lens Reflex. The actual through the lens viewer is the LCD. On an SLR the actual scene is though the lens and the viewfinder via a prism which also directs the image to exposure and focus controls.

Sorry I have lost track of the URL which explains this better than I can.

Sigbhu
04-25-2005, 10:12 PM
the Olympus c750 which i have has only a single lens for both the EVF and the sensor. what's the difference between the sensor of a P&S and a DSLR? why can't a DSLR be left on for long peroids (like i i do for my P&S)?

and incidentally, i have another doubt: in DSLRs, (and in all SLRs), the shutter travels vertically, so won't the bottom of the frame be exposed for a longer time than the top?

ReF
04-25-2005, 10:50 PM
i'm no expert on this but i believe the overheating problem is due to the large size of d-slr sensors. i wouldn't mind having a flip out screen for reviewing shots when the camera is mounted in an awkward position on a tripod, but i guess that'll come AFTER they start to offer plain and simple angled viewfinder attachments that are affordable instead of the super-fancy ones that cost a rediculous amount of money.

MrSleep
04-26-2005, 05:27 AM
So its possible!
Do you think a pocket pc could be used as a cheaper alternative to the higer priced LCD viewfinder's?

Balrog
04-26-2005, 05:39 AM
Well, a pocket pc could be used for reviewing the shots, i suppose, but still not previewing .. i.e. you'd still have to compose in the optical viewfinder.

cwphoto
05-09-2005, 10:57 PM
and incidentally, i have another doubt: in DSLRs, (and in all SLRs), the shutter travels vertically, so won't the bottom of the frame be exposed for a longer time than the top?

The shutter is made up of two curtains. The second curtain follows the first at a consistent speed to ensure even exposure across the frame.