PDA

View Full Version : Digicam memory cards and Airport Security

master_b
08-28-2004, 10:31 PM
Is it safe to pass digital cameras with memory cards through Airport XRay security, or. if the card(s) are carried separately on my person, should they be protected from hand-held security wand scans?

Haven't found this info anywhere at all.

Thanks

master_b

leewitt
08-29-2004, 03:02 AM
I pass my digital camera and compact flash cards through x-ray machines many time with no ill effects. I would hesitate with exposing them to the search wand as those have large magnetic fields potentially close to the card. Not sure it would harm them, but why take a chance.

speaklightly
08-29-2004, 07:11 AM
When evaluating the danger posed to your electronic data chips/cards one has to take into consideration the strength of the xray beam. The xray beam used in routine airport type security searches is far less than the power of medical xray equipment, for example.

Security search scans in most airport like situations are not any problem at all and pose no hazard to your electronic data cards or chips. However, a more powerful source of electro-magnetic energy such as medical x-ray units, or an operating radar do pose a real threat.

So be aware of the hazard of electro-magnetic energy. However, security checks pose no real problem.

Sarah Joyce

master_b
08-29-2004, 11:33 AM
Thanks for the replies. Much appreciated.

master_b

D70FAN
08-29-2004, 05:54 PM
Is it safe to pass digital cameras with memory cards through Airport XRay security, or. if the card(s) are carried separately on my person, should they be protected from hand-held security wand scans?

Haven't found this info anywhere at all.

Thanks

master_b

I have traveled almost 1 million miles (equates to about 800+ trips through security), with various digital cameras, and airports both foreign and domestic (US), and have never lost a picture.

Hope this helps.

Jeff Keller
08-29-2004, 06:17 PM
I have traveled almost 1 million miles (equates to about 800+ trips through security), with various digital cameras, and airports both foreign and domestic (US), and have never lost a picture.

Hope this helps.

George, you may be hearing from me next time I want to upgrade on a flight :D

D70FAN
08-29-2004, 06:54 PM
George, you may be hearing from me next time I want to upgrade on a flight :D

Unfortunately, Executive Patinum upgrades are not transferable. If they were, you would be sitting in the front of the plane. ;) Actually I have 2 million miles on American (and about 200K+ on several other airlines), but only 1 million traveling with digital cameras.

Also, unfortuantely, business travel is mostly airports and hotels. I do shoot a lot of pictures from 35,000 feet, and find cloud and earth patterns especially interresting up there. Just returned from a week in China and actually got a few decent night photos of the "beer festival"(???) up in Quingdao (pronounced shwing-dao), and other "touristy" shots of Shanghai. Shenzhen was just too rainy/misty for much shooting. I will post pictures up on smugmug.com as time allows.

http://d70fan.smugmug.com/