PDA

View Full Version : E-300 problem downloading to PC

Kazablanka
04-24-2005, 04:26 PM
Hi, I'm hoping that someone out there can help me with this problem.

I purchased an E-300 digital SLR during a trip to the US last week, and took a number of photos during the remainder of the trip. On returning home I loaded the Olympus Master software on my PC (Windows XP Professional, 2.53 gHz P4, 1G of ram), and attempted to download the photos by USB cable. When I plugged in the USB cable and switched the camera on the computer recognised the new hardware and attempted to load a driver - however the error message "An error occurred during the installation of the device. The data is invalid" came up. 'Device Manager' shows a yellow exclamation mark indicating a driver problem, but provides no details (just the notation that no driver is required or installed for this device). I selected 'reinstall drivers, and tried both from the CD and internet, but just got the same result. I then opened Olympus Master and attempted to download the pictures anyway, but just got an error message "The software is unable to find an Olympus digital camera connected to a USB port on your computer." I've tried rebooting, reinstalling the software, and have searched all the documentation - all to no avail. Grateful if anyone has any ideas.

Thanks. :confused:

Kazablanka
04-24-2005, 06:44 PM
:) All fixed - I must have mucked up the installation.

Norm in Fujino
04-24-2005, 07:27 PM
:) All fixed - I must have mucked up the installation.

Glad to hear you got it fixed. A couple of suggestions:
1. Try using a dedicated card reader; downloads are faster.
2. Particularly if you start shooting RAW, ditch Olympus Master and try either RawShooter Essentials (http://shop.element5.com/product.html?productid=300013536&languageid=1&cart=1&currencies=EUR,all&noquickbuy=1) (for free), and/or Olympus Studio or one of the other for-pay programs available.