PDA

View Full Version : XT GREAT! Kit lens disappointing

Canonfan
04-24-2005, 02:37 PM
I picked up the Rebel XT kit.

Love the Camera; the lens is pretty bad.
I shot an entire day with family at a football game and all were soft focused.
Works just OK for close ups but as an all around lens, not good.

I bought the cheap Canon 50mm f1.8 II fixed lens for 70.00 bucks and it put the kit lens to shame.

My wifes canon A75 put my XT to shame with the kit lense.

IMHO dont get the kit. Spend the money you save on the 50mm lens for something to start shooting with right away, then start collecting good quality lens.

You will avoid the disappointments some of us are experiencing

TheObiJuan
04-24-2005, 03:08 PM
I purchased the kit lens with my XT but never used it. I sold it for $70 bucks. I then traded a ballhead for a 20D kit lens because the smallest focal range I had was the 50mm f/1.8. I have used the lens and was amazed at how wide 18mm is. My only experience has been with the 50mm and 135mm. :eek:
I feel that at 18-24 it makes a great f/6.3-f/7.1 lens. A lens hood would help to keep the flare out.

for $100 bucks it makes a great 18-36 f/6.3-7.1 wide angle lens.
I do not bother using it at 55 since quality suffers.

Bluedog
04-24-2005, 06:02 PM
Yea the Kits seem to be kinda hit and miss which is ashame when spending $1000 on any camera. My copy has produced some pretty decent results but not near the image quality as the Sigma 18-125mm that is my all around zoom for now and even the Sigma has a few quirks that I'm learning to deal with.

Sigbhu
04-24-2005, 08:52 PM
the kit lens isn't great, but neither is it horrible--if you aren't happy with yours, it's probably because you got a bad one. i knew a chap who exchanged his kit lens ten times before getting a good one. i suggest you do the same. the quality control seems to be terrible, but there are good lenses in there.

or, you could always get a nice tamron or sigma--those Di lenses are cheap, and suprisingly good.

Rex914
04-24-2005, 09:10 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but wouldn't you have to exchange the whole package to get a new kit lens? That'd be a bit troublesome.

Sigbhu
04-24-2005, 09:14 PM
yes, usually. but things are fluid here. the dealer i bought my XT from didn't know which end pointed which way, and was perlexed why it didn't work until i told him that i generally carged my batteries before plugging them in. this chap i knew DID manage to exchange his kit lens TEN times--but i'm firmly convinced he got the same one back every time.