PDA

View Full Version : Please help a sportswriter!

bieck
07-06-2004, 03:33 PM
Hey guys,

I'm a sportswriter, not really a photographer, but soon to be thrusted into taking pictures of athletics from a top D-1 university. I've taken many pictures of athletics, but now I'm looking for a quality digital SLR for great photos, and not to look like a goon to the professionals.
If you could recommend a SLR and possibly even lenses that would work well with action both inside and outside.
Because I'm dealing with action I'm looking for fast photos and also for a good zoom to reach across the playing surfaces.
I won't turn away tips either! Thanks so much!

D70FAN
07-06-2004, 05:47 PM
Well you could go the low cost route with a Canon Digital Rebel (around $900 with lens) or the Nikon D70 (~$1300 with lens). While neither is a laugher, most pros are using Nikon D2H , Canon 1Ds, or now the new Canon 1D Mark II. The Canon pro cameras will cost in the $4500 to $7500 range. While the Nikon D2H is around $3100.

Many of the folks on these pages, including Jeff Keller have the Canon EOS 10D (around $1300 for the body) and really like it. I have a D70 and it is not only reasonably priced, but looks, feels and performs like a pro dSLR.

The Canon EOS Digital Rebel is a great camera, but Canon made it look like a consumer camera, and left out a lot of the features. It is still a heck of a deal, and a fine camera.

So if you are looking for status in the photojournalists ranks then blow the family nest egg on a pro camera. If not then check out the Canon 10D, Nikon D70, and the Canon Digital Rebel.

Nick
07-07-2004, 08:46 AM
Dear sportswriter,

I hope you have a decent avaliable budget! Lots of professional photographers use rather very expensive dSLRs such as the Nikon D1x ( $3,900 ) , Nikon D2H ( $3,200 ) and the new Canon 1D Mark II ( $4,500 ). There are lower priced, officially ' non ' pro dSLRS such as the Canon 300D or the Nikon D70. I own the D70 and it performs very, very impressively and thus far it has not let many people down, and it can surely be utilized for ' professional ' quality shots.

I can't say much about lenses - I don't know if you're going for Nikon, Canon, Pentax, Oly, etc. However the Nikon Nikon AF VR Zoom Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8D G-AFS ED-IF is something you should take a peek at :)