PDA

View Full Version : 150 shots and 166 pages

2150-bye
04-23-2005, 12:57 PM
A Keebler elf dropped off a 20D at 7PM last night,I put batteries in charger and proceeded to read the novel "so you think you can use a 20D" and just when you thought it was safe to take 150+ pictures,but I now think I know less than when I started,lol .At one point I had the camera stuck in some mode that was taking pictures about 4 sec after I depressed the shutter,I thought damm I have already broke it . I know I am very new to this "Jones" but is there a CA group out there ,like AA ? I have already jotted down about $8000. in essentials (not including the 2 L lenses I have already ordered,50mm 1.4 & 100mm 2.8)I need for everyday camera life . I figure if I quit smoking $200 a month, walk to work $250 a month((gas) I could carry camera and get in a few shots to/from work),start eating used cardboard boxes with a little ketchup or mustard(lots of fiber) for lunch $100 a month. I will be at $8k before you know it .

Bluedog
04-23-2005, 01:05 PM
LOL ... you got a fine camera there but sounds like you mighta jumped in head first into something you had no idea about, meaning the 20D. To start with your best bet would be to purchase a good photography book dedicated to the 20D and then you should be well on your way to a photography learning experience.

D70FAN
04-23-2005, 09:42 PM
A Keebler elf dropped off a 20D at 7PM last night,I put batteries in charger and proceeded to read the novel "so you think you can use a 20D" and just when you thought it was safe to take 150+ pictures,but I now think I know less than when I started,lol .At one point I had the camera stuck in some mode that was taking pictures about 4 sec after I depressed the shutter,I thought damm I have already broke it . I know I am very new to this "Jones" but is there a CA group out there ,like AA ? I have already jotted down about $8000. in essentials (not including the 2 L lenses I have already ordered,50mm 1.4 & 100mm 2.8)I need for everyday camera life . I figure if I quit smoking $200 a month, walk to work $250 a month((gas) I could carry camera and get in a few shots to/from work),start eating used cardboard boxes with a little ketchup or mustard(lots of fiber) for lunch $100 a month. I will be at $8k before you know it .

Here is a good place to start.

http://www.shortcourses.com/bookstore/canon/book_canon20D.htm

Those two primes are nice secondary lenses, but you might want to look at a decent zoom as well. Your essentials should be about $700-$900 in addition to the camera. The rest you can accumulate as you need them.

Essentials (my opinion):

Decent zoom lens 18-85 (Canon) or 18-125 (Sigma).
50mm f1.8 Canon
1 spare battery.
1GB of memory (2 x 512 is good)
A good TTL flash 4xx or 5xx series.
A good case. Ala Lowepro TLZ Mini or similar.

That's a basic kit.