PDA

View Full Version : New Canon 300D - which extras?

print-digital
04-23-2005, 10:33 AM
I have just upgraded from Kodak DX4530 to the Canon EOS 300D - first SLR so I have a lot to learn and play around with :)

Are there any extras that I should get now, that people would say are essential to get the most out of this camera?

Only extra thing that I got with it was a 1GB card (got it half price with the camera), going to be looking online for a camera bag, the prices in the shop were crazy!

Hope to post some pictures in the forums tomorrow night :cool:

Cheers,
Craig

JTL
04-23-2005, 10:51 AM
I have just upgraded from Kodak DX4530 to the Canon EOS 300D - first SLR so I have a lot to learn and play around with :)

Are there any extras that I should get now, that people would say are essential to get the most out of this camera?

Only extra thing that I got with it was a 1GB card (got it half price with the camera), going to be looking online for a camera bag, the prices in the shop were crazy!

Hope to post some pictures in the forums tomorrow night :cool:

Cheers,
CraigThe best extra I've seen is the Wasia firmware hack...

jamison55
04-23-2005, 10:52 AM
To really get the most out of your new camera, you should invest in at least one nice piece of glass. If you are like me, and don't have much left over after the kit, I'd suggest you try the Canon 50 f1.8. It is a great lens at an even better price.

cheese
04-23-2005, 04:41 PM
The best extra I've seen is the Wasia firmware hack...

What is the wasia firmware hack?

JTL
04-23-2005, 09:10 PM
What is the wasia firmware hack?The 300D is an example of when good companies do bad things. In this case, Canon purposely crippled the 300D in firmware so that it wouldn't compete with it's more expensive offerings. The Wasia hack "unlocks" these features that Canon disabled...the biggest one of which is ISO 3200!!! The following is a list of what the hack enables...

-Enter Flash Exposure Compensation using SET button
-SET button function when shooting
-Shutter release w/o CF card
-Flash sync speed in Av mode
-RAW+JPEG rec. Set the quality of embedded JPEG
-Mirror Lock up
-Select the autofocus mode: AIfocusAF, ONEShot
-ISO 3200

It gives the 300D features that even the Nikon D70 doesn't have (which gives me amusement to no end...).

JTL
04-23-2005, 09:38 PM
Good one! We D70 owners are amused as well. Seriously, we love reading your stuff. You crack me up!I'm reminded of a line from a movie with Jack Nicholson and Tom Cruise... :D

Donald
05-02-2005, 10:13 AM
I purchased the 300D a few months back and recently puchased the Sigma 70-300 super Macro APO. I have been very pleased with the results. I got it through Ritz for 219 dollars. If you order it online you don't pay sales tax or shipping. I also puchased a 3X phenox teleconverter for an older digital camera and got an adapter to thread it onto the Sigma lense, I can fill the frame with a shot of a full moon. Also the Sigma lense uses the same 58mm filters as the kit lense that came with the 300D.
A polorizer filter is also a good investment if you want better color, especially on the beach in full sun. I haven't tried the hack yet...still under warrantee. I have it downloaded for when the warrantee is up. Anything over 400 ISO gives too grainy of pictures for my personal taste. (but grainy is better than blurry)....Just my opinion.
Don

Balrog
05-02-2005, 11:11 AM
Could you post some pics with/without the 3X converter? how much light and sharpness do you lose?

Donald
05-03-2005, 11:36 AM
The converter works OK at night, photographing the moon but not good for ordinary photography. There is significant light loss and the subject turns out hazy. I have taken some good time lapse photographs of the Orion Nebula with it. It is much better with the kit lense at 55mm than with the 300mm. It has good definition in the center but loses detail at the edges. I'll send you some with/without photos when I get the chance.(don't have them on this computer)

Balrog
05-03-2005, 11:44 AM
Cool, thanks.
Just wondering, though .. what's the point of using on the kit lens? I mean 3*55=165, which is kinda useless considering you already have a 300mm lens...

Donald
05-04-2005, 12:49 PM
No point whatsoever, just an observation. The only benefit it has is night sky photography with the 300mm. I purchased it to use with my fuji 3800 which you cannot interchange lenses.

Balrog
05-04-2005, 01:21 PM
Ahh, right. Okay. So when can we see the orion nebula? :)

print-digital
05-05-2005, 02:22 AM
Ahh, right. Okay. So when can we see the orion nebula?

Lets make it abit more interesting, how about the (Hubble) Ultra Deep Feild ;)

print-digital
05-08-2005, 10:59 AM
I am looking at maybe adding a few filters for the camera, there are loads out there though! A decent polariser is a must as far as I can tell?

Does anyone have any recommendations?

TheObiJuan
05-08-2005, 12:11 PM
hoya makes good filters.

print-digital
05-09-2005, 01:33 AM
hoya makes good filters.

Any particular ones though?