PDA

View Full Version : Busy mom needs help w/ parameter setting

stonehill
04-22-2005, 05:08 PM
For best out of camera images should I use the default setting in parameter 1 or use the set 1 parameter to something else? I love the camera for many reasons but dont have the time to sit at the computer and do alot of postprocessing.

nate
04-22-2005, 05:14 PM
If you're not going to post-process, then start with the default settings. With experience, you may find that you prefer more/less saturation, sharpening, etc. In that case, you could create your own customize parameter settings.

BTW: which camera are you referring to?

stonehill
04-22-2005, 05:33 PM
Thanks Nate. Sorry, its the Rebel XT. I have the kit lense and the 50mm 1.8. I thought I read somewhere to get more P&S like results I should bump the a saturation to +2. I wasn't sure about sharpness and contrast.

nate
04-22-2005, 05:36 PM
Yeah, compact digitals are known for having heavy saturation. You may or may not want your XT to replicate that. :) I've kept my XT on the default parameter settings so far, and I'm very happy with the results.

ReF
04-22-2005, 08:27 PM
try shooting at sharpness +1 or 2, saturation +1. if you have room on your computer, shoot RAW + Large/fine JPEG just in case you want to go back and fix an important picture.

MistyR75
04-25-2005, 09:06 AM
I'm a total newbie (I've had my camera for only a week), so take this for what it's worth....

I have the 300d, and I played with a variety of parameters until I found what I liked. I don't have it with me, but I'm pretty sure I set Set 1 with +2 for sharpness, saturation, and contrast. I left color at zero. I found that this setting gave me better sharpness and colors straight out of the camera than any other parameters. (Of course, I like sharp, vivid pictures....it may not be good for everyone.) I use this for snapshots that I don't want to have to post process. If I ever feel good enough to do portraits, I'll adjust the parameters for that.

suemccartin
04-28-2005, 10:21 AM
What you're all saying is fine for daylight, but from past experience, especially when shooting under mixed lighting conditions (i.e. your flash is daylight balanced while the surrounding light might not be), drop that saturation down as low as you can or you're not going to like the way your backgrounds (outside the flash range) will come out looking. I had a problem inside a gym with mercury vaport lighting when using flash, the backgrounds were coming out a deep (annoyingly so) yellow and nothing seemed to be able to fix that issue software wise--dropping the saturation fixed the problem in my case.