PDA

View Full Version : Camera card reader cable issue

wingsley
04-22-2005, 02:05 PM
When I bought a Stratitec camera card reader a few months back, it came with its own USB 2.0 cable. While the unit and cable work just fine, there is one vexing issue.

The cable is one of the thick see-through kinds. I store the unit and its cable in a snap-shut pouch. Every time I roll up the cable to put it away or unroll it again, it gets all kinked, twisted and tangled. Is there something I can do about this? The cable has a very small end that plugs into the card reader itself. If I have to replace the cable down the road, how hard will it be to come by such a cable? Are there better versions of this cable on the market?

propwash
04-22-2005, 06:32 PM
There are a few standards for plugs on USB cables. The first such cable I got came with a Sony mini-disc player. It has the standard USB connection on one end and a small trapezoid connection on the other. When I got my Panasonic Lumix LC-33 camera, it also came with a cord. The connector was the same for the camera as it was for the mini-disc player. The same connector fits my 7-in-one card reader. This card reader is USB 2.0, and the camera and mini-disc are USB 1.0, but the same cord works for all three. My daughter has a Nikon Coolpix 3200, and its cord also has a trapezoidal plug, but it is much smaller than the first one. However, this smaller plug is the same one that my Panasonic FZ3 uses. I think if your cord eventually fails, you will probably be able to find a replacement somewhere. If you are really concerned, you might try looking at Best Buy/Circuit City/Radio Shack. I think you will probably be able to find one somewhere. Good luck.

haikai
04-24-2005, 07:12 PM
When I bought a Stratitec camera card reader a few months back, it came with its own USB 2.0 cable. While the unit and cable work just fine, there is one vexing issue.

The cable is one of the thick see-through kinds. I store the unit and its cable in a snap-shut pouch. Every time I roll up the cable to put it away or unroll it again, it gets all kinked, twisted and tangled. Is there something I can do about this? The cable has a very small end that plugs into the card reader itself. If I have to replace the cable down the road, how hard will it be to come by such a cable? Are there better versions of this cable on the market?

http://www.ziplinq.com/retractable-cable-usb.html

there may be other versions out there, but here you will find an assortment of retractable usb cables (and all sorts of other cables too). looks like it should do a decent job of reducing tangles. i have no idea how well the usb cables work, but i have a retractable cell phone hands-free set from the same company... it's a bit fragile, but i'd attribute that to the nature of thin cell phone wiring common in hands-free set ups. usb cord thickness shouldn't be a problem, i'd expect. not sure if the retractable USB cables work the same way, but the cell phone one retracts much like you would operate a pull-down projector screen where a long tug will pull the wiring out while a short tug and release will invoke the retracting behavior.

-hai

wingsley
04-26-2005, 09:11 PM
Attached to this posting is a digital photo I took today of the ends of the Stratitec USB 2.0 cable which was bundled with the camera card reader.

It's hard to see, but when I look down inside the "small" end, there may be five pins. I'm not 100% sure about that.

Steve Cifra
04-27-2005, 04:29 AM
Looks like a standard cable to me.

Steve

gary_hendricks
04-27-2005, 09:35 AM
Agree with Steve, it looks like a standard cable.

wingsley
07-06-2005, 10:13 AM
http://www.ziplinq.com/retractable-cable-usb.html

there may be other versions out there, but here you will find an assortment of retractable usb cables (and all sorts of other cables too). looks like it should do a decent job of reducing tangles. i have no idea how well the usb cables work, but i have a retractable cell phone hands-free set from the same company... it's a bit fragile, but i'd attribute that to the nature of thin cell phone wiring common in hands-free set ups. usb cord thickness shouldn't be a problem, i'd expect. not sure if the retractable USB cables work the same way, but the cell phone one retracts much like you would operate a pull-down projector screen where a long tug will pull the wiring out while a short tug and release will invoke the retracting behavior.

-hai

Does anyone know if any of the bigger-name brands like Keyspan, Adesso and Macally offer anything of comparable of superior quality?