PDA

View Full Version : This should be fun.

Cold Snail
04-22-2005, 01:11 PM
A good friend of mine is getting married tomorrow, two days ago I found out that they have only hired the pro for the formal shots at the church.
As a gift to them, I told them that I could do the candid shots at the same time in exchange for using them to promote myself if they come out good.
Out of all the types of photography I have done, people has been placed at the bottom of the pile, but now it looks like a good chance to have a bit of fun.

The nice thing is that I am under no pressure whatsoever, so if they come out good, then there may be a possibility of making some cash out of this expensive hobby.

Hopefully I will still be sober(ish) as the day progresses.

D70FAN
04-22-2005, 02:53 PM
A good friend of mine is getting married tomorrow, two days ago I found out that they have only hired the pro for the formal shots at the church.
As a gift to them, I told them that I could do the candid shots at the same time in exchange for using them to promote myself if they come out good.
Out of all the types of photography I have done, people has been placed at the bottom of the pile, but now it looks like a good chance to have a bit of fun.

The nice thing is that I am under no pressure whatsoever, so if they come out good, then there may be a possibility of making some cash out of this expensive hobby.

Hopefully I will still be sober(ish) as the day progresses.

People photography, especially weddings, is really tough. You will be working in goofy lighting, so I hope you have your trusty SB600/800 handy. I have done a couple of tag-alongs in the past (before I had an SB800 :eek: ) with professional wedding photographers (WP's), and even though it was a mostly casual unpaid gig, the personal pressure is worse than you think. Someone will judge your work one way or the other.

People can kid around about wedding photography, but when you realize that there is virtually no controlled lighting, no make-up (except the bride) and there are very few retakes possible it can be a little grueling. Especially if there are a ton of relatives.

But it is still a lot of fun, especially when the WP, the bride, and groom are happy with what you've done.

I need to find a couple of local WP's in my new home area... ;)

Cold Snail
04-22-2005, 03:22 PM
I don't have a SB-600 or 800 for the D70 (300 for a flashgun!!!), just my dedicated Sunpak PZ4000 for the N90s and my old Hanimex TZ-1 that cost 1 from a camera shop. (52volts with fresh batteries - 198 volts on the safe side)
Out of the two, I will use the Hanimex because it recharges much faster, I shouldn't see it as too much of a problem though, as I learnt how to use a flashgun the old fashioned way.
I'll post something when I get back, but it could take a while as I will play it safe and shoot in NEF.

D70FAN
04-22-2005, 04:11 PM
I don't have a SB-600 or 800 for the D70 (300 for a flashgun!!!), just my dedicated Sunpak PZ4000 for the N90s and my old Hanimex TZ-1 that cost 1 from a camera shop. (52volts with fresh batteries - 198 volts on the safe side)
Out of the two, I will use the Hanimex because it recharges much faster, I shouldn't see it as too much of a problem though, as I learnt how to use a flashgun the old fashioned way.
I'll post something when I get back, but it could take a while as I will play it safe and shoot in NEF.

Sounds like a good plan. I was using my old Quantaray 6600 (also a Sunpak) and an SB28 up until a few weeks ago, and they worked ok. The nice thing about the SB800 is that it provides a very nice AF illuminator, is extremely fast, and accurate. It took me 4 months (and a good deal via one of my kids) to save up the $250 (normally $330), but it was worth the investment.

Anyway, your shots always seem to be spot on so I'm confident that your freinds will be very pleased.

Have fun... wish I were there.