PDA

View Full Version : Best Lens for Indoor Concert/Seminar

kshoari
04-22-2005, 12:48 PM
Hi,

I have a quick question and I would appreciate any help/suggestions. I am planning to be taking some pictures in a seminar/concert in a relatively low light hall, and I have the following three lenses with my D70:

1- Nikon 50mm, f/1.8D
2- Nikon 18-70 Kit
3- Sigma 70-300 APO Super II

I cannot afford a fast zoom lens at this point. So which one would you suggest is my best option? I know the 50mm is the fastest but then I need to get probably too close to the stage which will make me uncomfortable. I can use a tripod so I thought I should take the Sigma for longer reach and then use lower shutter speeds. But then I will be adding more noise, any small movement by the people on the stage will be blurry, and I've also heard that the Sigma is not very good in focusing under low light. So is the kit lens my best option here? I do have SB-600 but I doubt it could be of much help. So do I really have any chance of getting some good shots under these situations with the lenses I have? or is it hopeless :( Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated...

Thanks,

PS. Oops... Even though I'm using a D70, I think it would have been more appropriate to post this in the lenses forum. Is there anyway to move a thread to another forum?

Rex914
04-22-2005, 01:07 PM
You can't afford getting the Tamron 28-75 f/2.8 for $350? That should do the trick...

kshoari
04-22-2005, 01:17 PM
You can't afford getting the Tamron 28-75 f/2.8 for $350? That should do the trick...

Not right now... maybe I should put that on my list for future lenses but at this point, having spent on D70 body, those three lenses, filters, flash, tripod, bag, etc., etc., I am already way over my allowance budget :( Should I take your suggestion though as implying that there is no hope with what I've got? :(

Rex914
04-22-2005, 01:25 PM
Make due with what you've got. I have to do that too. (http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/kodak/dc3400-review/)

I know this is the most troublesome route, but stick to the 50 and get up close if possible. I don't think the Sigma will pull it off because by the time it gathers enough light, the people will have moved and that blurs up everything.

Balrog
04-22-2005, 01:54 PM
I wouldn't say hopeless! the 50mm would obviously get you the most light, and I think ISO1600 should be able to get you very good shutter speeds, too ... you can just do some noise-removal later on.

D70FAN
04-23-2005, 09:42 AM
I wouldn't say hopeless! the 50mm would obviously get you the most light, and I think ISO1600 should be able to get you very good shutter speeds, too ... you can just do some noise-removal later on.

In addition to having good ISO performance to work with, you can also under-expose by a couple of stops to squeeze a little more shutter speed. I do this quite a bit and find that recovering in Photoshop and Noise Ninja is pretty easy.

On the D70 just activate the Exposure Compensation feature in the menu and you can use the back thumbwheel to change it on-the-fly. The meter will appear in the viewfinder, so you dont have to light up the info LCD.

Samuel Lo
04-24-2005, 09:05 PM
Hi,

I have a quick question and I would appreciate any help/suggestions. I am planning to be taking some pictures in a seminar/concert in a relatively low light hall, and I have the following three lenses with my D70:

1- Nikon 50mm, f/1.8D
2- Nikon 18-70 Kit
3- Sigma 70-300 APO Super II

I cannot afford a fast zoom lens at this point. So which one would you suggest is my best option? I know the 50mm is the fastest but then I need to get probably too close to the stage which will make me uncomfortable. I can use a tripod so I thought I should take the Sigma for longer reach and then use lower shutter speeds. But then I will be adding more noise, any small movement by the people on the stage will be blurry, and I've also heard that the Sigma is not very good in focusing under low light. So is the kit lens my best option here? I do have SB-600 but I doubt it could be of much help. So do I really have any chance of getting some good shots under these situations with the lenses I have? or is it hopeless :( Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated...

Thanks,

PS. Oops... Even though I'm using a D70, I think it would have been more appropriate to post this in the lenses forum. Is there anyway to move a thread to another forum?

For indoor low-light environment, besides high ISO setting, I think you MUST have a fast Lens; sometimes a flash even cannot help (since the stage is dark, it is very difficult to light up the stage only with a small flash)

When it is in very crucial situation (i.e. very, very dim), I found the shutter speed is still very slow even with ISO1600 and Nikon 70-200mm/f2.8! If the budget allowed, Nikkor 85mm/f1.8 will be a good choice. It is not very expensive (about US$700) , but with excellent quality and FAST!

Rex914
04-24-2005, 09:08 PM
That lens costs $400 last time I checked...

You might be confusing it with the f/1.4 version which costs at least double that if not more.

Samuel Lo
04-25-2005, 01:52 PM
That lens costs $400 last time I checked...

You might be confusing it with the f/1.4 version which costs at least double that if not more.

Thanks Rex, I am not confusing but do the wrong calculation. The 85mm/f1.8 cost only US$350. (sorry for doubling the price)