PDA

View Full Version : When to use 'Superfine'?

goldenegg
08-28-2004, 03:51 PM
I recently purchased a Canon S50 and am playing around with the various modes. So far, I haven't found a single image where I can tell the difference between the FINE and SUPERFINE settings. I've zoomed in to images up to 500X and they look identical.

Any information is greatly appreciated!

buzz
08-28-2004, 04:27 PM
Superfine just uses less compression, depending on whats in the picture and the lighting, you may not be able to tell the difference. I would think that a large area of one solid color would show off the compression artifacts the best.

What are the files sizes of your fine and superfine pics?

goldenegg
08-28-2004, 09:37 PM
The FINE pictures are about 1.4MB, while the SUPERFINE pics are about 2.5MB

gdlawson
08-29-2004, 07:59 AM
Use the best quality available. That is why you paid the extra bucks for a better camera! you always reduce the quality/size later but you can never increase it. Also with better quality files you can crop and still have good quality resolution. ALWAYS USE THE BEST!

buzz
09-03-2004, 05:48 AM
I would have to agree to just have it set to superfine all the time just in case you take an awesome shot that you would like to print out or crop. You can always reduce the file size later just like he said.

Alnath
09-03-2004, 07:15 AM
I have always superfine, like has been said already it seems daft to buy a camera then lower the quality. I have just bought a 512MB card for the G6 and at superfine i get around 180 shots.

I know someone that bought an A80 and used it at 1600x1200 fine to save card space :eek: